Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AYA117

Side by Side Club

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Drayman1965 said:

👍

£100 is a great price hope it stops raining so you can get out there with it, mind you it's not made of sugar lol🤣

I was more thinking of me getting wet than the gun haha 

I managed to bag my first woody with it so Im well chuffed, that'll be going in tonight's dinner. 

Can I just ask, what are the trigger pulls like on your one? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

I was more thinking of me getting wet than the gun haha 

I managed to bag my first woody with it so Im well chuffed, that'll be going in tonight's dinner. 

Can I just ask, what are the trigger pulls like on your one? 

Not to sharp but not to long, so some where in-between if you get my drift, bit of a **** answer but the best way I can explain really

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Drayman1965 said:

Not to sharp but not to long, so some where in-between if you get my drift, bit of a **** answer but the best way I can explain really

Thanks, mine feels like it has hair triggers on it, I've never shot anything that's has such a light touch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Thanks, mine feels like it has hair triggers on it, I've never shot anything that's has such a light touch. 

 The Sears might be worn.......I would get it checked out if your concerned for safety reasons.

Edited by browning123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Thanks, mine feels like it has hair triggers on it, I've never shot anything that's has such a light touch. 

As long as you can hit your target with it safely that's all well and good 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Drayman1965 said:

As long as you can hit your target with it safely that's all well and good 👍

If you're worried about it get it checked by a gunsmith the gun only cost you £100 so it's still cheap, most #4 are around the£400 mark 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, browning123 said:

 The Sears might be worn.......I would get it checked out if your concerned for safety reasons.

1 hour ago, Drayman1965 said:

As long as you can hit your target with it safely that's all well and good 👍

 

1 hour ago, Drayman1965 said:

If you're worried about it get it checked by a gunsmith the gun only cost you £100 so it's still cheap, most #4 are around the£400 mark 👍

 

I'm wouldn't say I was concerned, I'm just not used to a light trigger pull, the last gun I was using was gp greener and you have to give it a fair pull lol.

Thank you both for the input though, I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the 16b so it's made a nice change. 

Edited by Farmboy91

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of these guns had trigger plates that when screwed up tight bear hard on the sears .Sometimes it is simply a matter of relieving the pressure on the plate to solve the problem .This can be done by either  packing the plate bearing on the stock or by filing down the trigger blades .

I do not say this is the only cause and it may well be the sears are worn but it is common fault.

What ever the problem it needs to be checked .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all I have just joined the ranks of the SxS club. My father in law has decided he wont be going shooting again and has passed to me his BRNO I have no idea as to the model but it is a 12 bore and looks to be a side plate. it is stamped 2 3/4 70mm. also in photo b it says it is choked 17,5 left barrel 17,8 right barrel but I have no idea what that might mean. She isn't the prettiest of guns but I am looking forward to taking it out as it seems to fit me quite well. It is stamped made in Czechoslovakia and looks very much like a Baikal  if any of you guys could tell me any more about it I would be very grateful as it seems to be a gun not many have heard about, well not many people I know.

Cheers

 

Gen     

 

a.jpg

b.jpg

bb.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Gen 

Perhaps you could try googling the serial number and make to see if that brings any info up if not I'm sure someone in the sxs group will be able to help you🤞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an identical one way back around 1973 or 74. Bought from Elderkins of Spalding for about £90 if my memory serves me correctly. Its a sidelock rather than a side-plate and uses coil springs rather than the more conventional vee-springs. Bit of a plain Jane and mine carried pretty serious chokes of around 3/4 and full. The firm of BRNO is a well known & respected maker of rifles and military weapons and the BR from their name formed the first two letters of the long serving British Army`s Light Machine Gun (LMG) the .303in & 7.62mm BREN.

They are not well known for their shotguns, which tend to be fairly plain offerings but they are well built and sound guns and probably a step up from a Baikal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably 1972 by the number on the flats for a guess.BRNO rifles have a proof stamp with the year on them ,perhaps the shotguns are similarly marked at proof ?

Hth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In theory when stamped it would have been 3/4 by Full but it'll pay to check/have it checked in case it's been altered along the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Was going to comment then realised the post was 12 months old .

Not the post about the BRNO one about a Webley .Help I,m going potty .

Edited by Gunman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Gunman said:

Was going to comment then realised the post was 12 months old .

Not the post about the BRNO one about a Webley .Help I,m going potty .

Yes the Webley has a No 8 in the back bite - can you shed any light on this number, maybe the No of the gunsmith who helped build the shotgun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

On Webley guns ,the number in the back bite was struck by the " Freer" .This was the man who after the gun was built , the action and all the parts were hardened , had the job of putting it all together setting the trigger pulls and generally seeing that the gun was on face correct tightness of action and forend and that the ejection timed .Occasionally having to replace components if required .It was  perhaps one of the most complex jobs on the shop as it needed knowledge of all the previous stages of building . 

The barrels and parts  were then blacked and it was passed on to the "finishers" for final assembly , the  stock put on and polished/buffed  prior to dispatch to customer .

Apart from the barrel filers the freer was the only person to put a mark on the gun and if there was any subsequent problem the gun came back to him for correction .

I cant honestly remember if I used and 8 or a 9 before moving on to a B as it was my job between mid 1974 and late 1977 when I left so it could have been mine . However  there is an 85 percent chance I had some hand in building this particular gun .

 

Graham .

 

 

Edited by Gunman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Drayman

After doing some googleing that has taken me to mainly American, Canadian and with the aid of google translate (which is hilarious) some eastern block sites. I have established that the gun is either a ZP49 or ZP47.  Matone you seem to be right with the age being 1972, which is nice because it makes the gun the same age as me. as far as the choke stamps go I have not been able to translate them to a actual size but what Wymberley and JJsDad mentioned it being 3/4 and full seems to be right with what I have read online full could even be extra full. She is a bit of a plain Jane and will need a bit of TLC to get it looking better, I would like to get the wood work darker and the sling swivels have to go, but from what I have found out they were mainly hand crafted with good quality materials. I look forward to getting out and seeing how it shoots as although it has a shorter stock than my Browning it seems to mount very well. This might be something to do with the amount of cast off to the left it has it has.

Thanks all and I will try to find out more.

Mr gen

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BRNO shotguns were to be honest plain , ugly , functional and generally well made  . They did an O/U which had barrels that would hook on and off with out the need for a forend. . I seem to recall that you could get different barrel lengths and were interchangeable  . Biakal did something similar in the 70's  but there was a lot of problems so they quickly disappeared .

Dont think  BRNO shotguns ever sold in any great quantity .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gunman said:

On Webley guns ,the number in the back bite was struck by the " Freer" .This was the man who after the gun was built , the action and all the parts were hardened , had the job of putting it all together setting the trigger pulls and generally seeing that the gun was on face correct tightness of action and forend and that the ejection timed .Occasionally having to replace components if required .It was  perhaps one of the most complex jobs on the shop as it needed knowledge of all the previous stages of building . 

The barrels and parts  were then blacked and it was passed on to the "finishers" for final assembly , the  stock put on and polished/buffed  prior to dispatch to customer .

Apart from the barrel filers the freer was the only person to put a mark on the gun and if there was any subsequent problem the gun came back to him for correction .

I cant honestly remember if I used and 8 or a 9 before moving on to a B as it was my job between mid 1974 and late 1977 when I left so it could have been mine . However  there is an 85 percent chance I had some hand in building this particular gun .

 

Graham .

 

 

Thanks for the information Graham - it is all very interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, browning123 said:

Thanks for the information Graham - it is all very interesting.

`tis indeed ,very good of Graham to give us an insight on his experiences of the workings of our trade...we know too little of it`s past really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gunman said:

BRNO shotguns were to be honest plain , ugly , functional and generally well made  . They did an O/U which had barrels that would hook on and off with out the need for a forend. . I seem to recall that you could get different barrel lengths and were interchangeable  . Biakal did something similar in the 70's  but there was a lot of problems so they quickly disappeared .

Dont think  BRNO shotguns ever sold in any great quantity .

Pal of mine in the late 60's had a BRNO O/U where the breech slid back on opening the gun.

 

Blackpowder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Blackpowder said:

Pal of mine in the late 60's had a BRNO O/U where the breech slid back on opening the gun.

 

There was a thing like that called a "Baby Bretton" that was French and was very very light (also cheap and I suspect poorly made).  Never became popular and I only saw one.

baby3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems strange that the French invented the drop down action then spent years trying to come up with something else . The Bretton the Darne and a couple of other slide action guns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gunman said:

Seems strange that the French invented the drop down action then spent years trying to come up with something else . The Bretton the Darne and a couple of other slide action guns.

I have a Darne, and it is very well engineered and beautifully made, but inconvenient and slow to operate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...