• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Mr.C said:

My own piece of English history. 

20161008_182543_HDR-1494x2656.jpg

20161008_182449_HDR-2656x1494.jpg

That sure is a lovely gun. I particularly like the very sleek top lever, beautiful engraving and Damascus barrels. What more could you wish for in a gun ?

OB

10 hours ago, buze said:

Thanks for the pic @JohnfromUK it looks fantastic, the engraving is awesome.

I think to be honest, the pictures flatter it a bit.  The engraving is well executed, but relatively light on coverage, one hammer is non original (though a good match) and re chequering/refinishing wood has left the metal slightly proud in places.  The sleeved tubes could also have been 'struck down' a bit more, though the upside of that is that it has plenty of wall thickness to resist dents!  At probably 140 years (ish), it has had a few ups and downs in life.

Overall, it is a nice honest gun that was not expensive when I got it 30+ years ago, fits me pretty well, and is very usable.

10 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

You do find hammerless Powells with this mechanism, and of course the Horsley has a another ambidextrous system - and all of the 'push forward' underlevers (Woodward, Lang, thumbhole Purdey, Murcott's 'mousetrap' etc) are ambidextrous, as is the 'pull up' Darne, though that has a side safety to upset the cack handed.

I would add to that list Westley Richards early pull back top lever similar to Horsley but it did not last long as, from my experiense, it is not easy to use. I have it on a mint pinfire identical to the one Victoria gave to Albert for his 21st birthday I think it was.

10 hours ago, islandgun said:

excuse my ignorance OF,  is that a rifle, Rigby or similar, if so are the barrels rifled ?

470 double rifle 

rifled barrels set up so both barrels shoot at same point of impact at 80——100 yards 

the Rigby is a 416 but I darent post a picture of it as it lacks a barrel ????

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

470 double rifle 

rifled barrels set up so both barrels shoot at same point of impact at 80——100 yards 

the Rigby is a 416 but I darent post a picture of it as it lacks a barrel ????

great stuff, what weight of load would that be and what speed ,

56 minutes ago, islandgun said:

great stuff, what weight of load would that be and what speed ,

Assortment of bullet weight usually about 400 grains and try to get the loads the same as it is important that point of impact is the same for expanding and solids 

hence the second barrel (choked)?

solid in that one and the buffalo was head on 

the rifle is currently hunting in the dark continent 

sadly without me 

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Assortment of bullet weight usually about 400 grains and try to get the loads the same as it is important that point of impact is the same for expanding and solids 

hence the second barrel (choked)?

solid in that one and the buffalo was head on 

the rifle is currently hunting in the dark continent 

sadly without me 

I know nothing about this type of firearm. so I hope you dont mind me asking what to some are silly questions, 

I guess then, from what your saying you can fire expanding ammo through a rifled barrel !  and given a load of just under an ounce [25g] and another assumption that your not using 7,s, do you use bb,s/T,s,  if so i also assume that a relatively small number of big shot will hold a pattern out to 100yds and this pattern would also have to be very tight at that range,  

confused IG

actually now i think about it firing shot through a rifled barrel doesnt seem possible

Edited by islandgun

44 minutes ago, islandgun said:

I know nothing about this type of firearm. so I hope you dont mind me asking what to some are silly questions, 

I guess then, from what your saying you can fire expanding ammo through a rifled barrel !  and given a load of just under an ounce [25g] and another assumption that your not using 7,s, do you use bb,s/T,s,  if so i also assume that a relatively small number of big shot will hold a pattern out to 100yds and this pattern would also have to be very tight at that range,  

confused IG

actually now i think about it firing shot through a rifled barrel doesnt seem possible

It’s a rifle not a shotgun ?

they do build shotguns to fire bullets they have rifled section at the last 3—4 inches from the muzzle 

ill try and get some more pictures for you in a few days 

busy catching up on a few bits at the moment 

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

confused IG

This is the sort of solid shot Old Farrier is refering to. Not a cartridge for use by `girls`. The standing joke about this calibre was that it killed at one end and maimed at the other, as a testimoney to its violent recoil. Its a dangerous game / big game rifle. Centre of the 3 below is the 470 nitro express.

image.jpeg.f3d1c39b40f87d9949eccdaf6822c10b.jpeg

My old 16g Charles Hellis BLNE made in 1931 for `Thesiger`. My research has yet to establish that this was the intrepid explorer Sir Wilfred Patrick Thesiger (1910-2003). Possibly a 21st.birthday present. The leather covered recoil pad I put on myself. Not perfect, but not too bad for a first attempt.

5adb5bf8eb642_Hellis16g.jpg.5eff8205c07ee6ea1f005fda48169482.jpg5adb5c27c9472_hellis16g2.jpg.d8d1da81fa3033622556302ad9202649.jpg

Some lovely guns here 

just a thought ?

a gun is a 140 years old and the walnut stock came from a tree that was probably 200 years old 

just wondering who planted it and why and the period of history that the wood has seen 

how many kings and queens 

how many years of war and peace 

how many small children climbed onto the branches 

just reminds me that we are custodians of massive amounts of history 

brilliant thread 

all the best 

of

Here’s a few cases to get a idea of what the double rifle fires 

410  3 inch. For scale 

416 Rigby empty case 

308 empty case

222 Remington empty case 

17 hmr loaded round 

sorry haven’t got any 470 available for picture there all loaded and with the gun 

46898583-3229-418A-8EC4-6CC9694B6303.jpeg

Edited by Old farrier

18 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Guys,

I wonder if between everyone it would be possible to come up with the retail prices for a Webley and Scott model 700 and an AyA model 25 Boxlock. When new in1975?

Cheers

Webley £346 & AYA 25 £ 235 in Oct 1974 .

Dunno about the inflation rate tho` !

Edited by matone