Side by Side Club

AYA117

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi SKIP66 unfortunately  I am not high tech but have photographed and posted an article that appeared in the Double Gun Journal that you might be interested in covering John Wilkes Gunmakers.It was in the Autumn 2010 edition ie Volume 21 Issue 3 and can be bought as a back issue from the publishers or perhaps on line second hand.

8 minutes ago, Konor said:

Hi SKIP66 unfortunately  I am not high tech but have photographed and posted an article that appeared in the Double Gun Journal that you might be interested in covering John Wilkes Gunmakers.It was in the Autumn 2010 edition ie Volume 21 Issue 3 and can be bought as a back issue from the publishers or perhaps on line second hand.

Thankyou Konor,really kind of you to share that,ill read it this afternoon.

12 minutes ago, Skip66 said:

Thankyou Konor,really kind of you to share that,ill read it this afternoon.

You’re welcome. I had been trying to source some information on Webley boxlocks for another thread and remembered seeing the article yesterday. From what I’ve read the Wilkes brothers appear to have been characters in their day.

On 03/09/2020 at 13:49, Konor said:

Nice to see this, I think - and will check- that there's still a reference to 'gunmaker' on the exterior of 79 Beak St

Factory special order card. When Someone wanted a gun with specific dimensions and performance.

1  stock fit Monte Carlo stock,straight grip, lop, cast off, drop

2 single trigger in rear position set at 3 1/2 lbs pull.

3 barrels  bored to shoot#4 and#5 shot 2 or 3 inches high

4 rib 1/2 inch wide at breech and 9/32  at muzzle.  With Lyman ivory beads

5 Silvers pad

6 high grade walnut ,oil finished engraving in between grades

The person ordering gun was specific on what he wanted.  Cost $300 in 1911

1978348731_FoxSpecialmordercardback.JPG.0487e9a55728ec1230022f279e3da3dd.JPG

Special order Fox card1.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Early in the year, I bought a #1 AYA from the 80's, specifically to have it reopened to 1/2 1/2 and proofed for steel. There were countless arguments at the time about it not being necessary etc etc etc but anyway, I wanted the proof mark...

Lockdown happened, then proof house taking 4 months to do anything and I was told yesterday the gun *failed* the proof... Bulged both barrels just at the forcing cones; the theory is that it was especialy lightweight barrels, and therefore less metal.

Anyway, luckily, since it was part of my order, I'm getting a refund, and I'm therefore back on the market for "my" game gun. SxS, steel proof -- I was pondering Chapuis a while back, but I'm not sure they are still /entirely/ in business, as googling find just one distro, and I'm not sure their catalogue is current...

Any other option? 

27 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

You can get them with a straight hand stock and splinter forearm, but I've not seen one with double triggers.

They are available with double triggers ........ in theory, but that may come at a price if you order new.

Many years ago I bought a new SO 6, and wanted straight hand and double triggers.  Unfortunately, it would be a special order from the factory - at nominally list price with 'possible' discount when delivered at some many months in the future and a large deposit payable with order, no choice of wood or ability to select wood.  Or I could have a standard single trigger pistol grip now that very day with 50% discount on list price, choice of three viewable that very day.

4 hours ago, buze said:

Early in the year, I bought a #1 AYA from the 80's, specifically to have it reopened to 1/2 1/2 and proofed for steel. There were countless arguments at the time about it not being necessary etc etc etc but anyway, I wanted the proof mark...

Lockdown happened, then proof house taking 4 months to do anything and I was told yesterday the gun *failed* the proof... Bulged both barrels just at the forcing cones; the theory is that it was especialy lightweight barrels, and therefore less metal.

Any other option? 

Yes. Write to BASC et al and tell them this. Because otherwise the nonsense of this voluntary ban on lead for live quarry shooting far in excess of the restrictions on lead shot for live quarry shooting that are proposed under EU REACH will continue to gain traction.

Edited by enfieldspares

48 minutes ago, buze said:

the theory is that it was especialy lightweight barrels, and therefore less metal.

AyA No 1 barrels are a different steel to No 2 (one of the relatively few differences) and are indeed slightly lighter.  One of my AyAs is proofed at 1200 KPa, for the 30" 'heavy' barrels, and the 28" 'standard' barrels at 900 KPa.  My No 1 is proofed at 900 KPa.

1 minute ago, London Best said:

Are we right in assuming that the test was for “Superior” steel proof? 
I am not sure if the Proof Houses actually do a test for standard steel??

I assume so, but I don't have the details, I'm going to see the gun tomorrow and take pics of the failed proofs, and yes, I'll forward the story to FieldSport Channel & BASC.

The guys didn't beleive it when it came back, as they didn't even bother to tell anyone, just shipped it back as failed. Said they sent 8 ot 10 already and it's the first one that failed, in a way rather 'happy' that it's a "poor" man's gun that failed instead of one of their fancy stock costing £££££(£) -- but that from now on the reproofing will be at the buyer's risk!

7 minutes ago, London Best said:

Are we right in assuming that the test was for “Superior” steel proof? 
I am not sure if the Proof Houses actually do a test for standard steel??

I tend to agree.  My two barrel AyA set has a heavy duty action - proofed (in Spain) with the 28" barrels, but the 30" barrels have UK proof at 1200 KPa.  The 'action' carries both Spanish and UK proof marks.  Neither set is steel proof and both have 70mm chambers.

Edited by JohnfromUK

1 minute ago, Smokersmith said:

Agree ... guns in nitro proof are already classed as OK for standard steel.

In the OP’s position ( may be eventually, with a H&H) I would just have used standard steel and not bothered with the fleur de lays superior stamp. 
Basically poor Buze sent a lightweight game gun for magnum proof. Were the chambers deepened to 3 inch?

1 minute ago, London Best said:

In the OP’s position ( may be eventually, with a H&H) I would just have used standard steel

I was advised by my gunsmith that my AyA No 1 was OK for standard steel 2 3/4" loads, with plastic protective wads, but would not be suitable for HP under any circumstances (I believe too light 'overall').  In practice, as steel comes with plastic wads and our shoot (landlord) forbids plastic wads - at present I simply don't shoot wildfowl, and continue to shoot game with lead.  (I don't shoot woodcock at all anyway).

2 minutes ago, London Best said:

In the OP’s position ( may be eventually, with a H&H) I would just have used standard steel and not bothered with the fleur de lays superior stamp. 
Basically poor Buze sent a lightweight game gun for magnum proof. Were the chambers deepened to 3 inch?

No I just wanted HP steel; I've shot RC3's 2"3/4 for a while and they are HP, but not magnum.

The gun *had* to be rechocked and therefore reproofed anyway as it was 3/4 and I'm pretty sure you can't shoot even "normal" steel in more than 1/2 anyway.
And in any case, I'm glad this happened without my face on the gun -- PERHAPS the gun failed way short of the HP pressure, we'll never know.

I refuse to buy plastic wads now. I did use some steel when the wildfowl laws first came in and found it very effective but don’t shoot so many duck/geese today so just use bismuth/tungsten.

Yeah, good job your face was miles away Buze.

Just a thought, choke alteration does not require reproof.

Edited by London Best