Side by Side Club

AYA117

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I hear what you say - but the key point here is that the 900 for 'normal lead' and the 1320 for 'steel' proof (HP) are measured in the same way, so the conclusion that one is about 50% bigger than the other still applies.

I preferred the old 1 1/8 oz proof marking ....... because it tied in with the cartridge marking.

I too hear you, but the 900 and 1320 is chalk and cheese. Let's just stay with the 'cheese'. There is some confusion - which is potentially dangerious -creeping in. 900 is an old and well established proof pressure figure. It is not a working pressure which requires an additional 25 or 30 percent loading to bring it up to proof level.

I do think that you have it back to front in as much as the cartridge markings tied in with the 1 1/8 proof marking and as there are still guns in existance with those marks, explains why the info' is still on the cartridge boxes. As you know, the 1 1/8 oz would have equated to a maximum working pressure and the gun would have been proofed at a pressure which, say, would have equated to a 1 5/16 oz load

50 minutes ago, Gunman said:

In my youth clay shooter used 1/14oz loads so 2&3/4 guns were required , now they shoot 28gr loads so no need fo 70mm chambers  . Problem is so many people want a gun that will do everything  ,clays , game and wildfowling . so all sorts of gimmick like adjustable combes and multi chokes have become the norm instead of a gun for each discipline. Ff we translate this to vehicles they would all be driving long wheel base Transit Vans .

:lol::good:

Trouble is, if some folk get their way many shooters will need one anyway because the change of weight/volume ratio means that they'll need something that size to fetch the season's cartridge stock home from the RFD.

59 minutes ago, Gunman said:

In my youth clay shooter used 1/14oz loads so 2&3/4 guns were required , now they shoot 28gr loads so no need fo 70mm chambers  .

Yes. I shot many a round of English Skeet with Hull 1 1/8 ounce #9 in the 1980s and 1990s whilst these shot weights were still allowed by the rulemakers.

You still see the odd box, now and again, at some gun auctions. Usually from an estate sale sadly of a recently deceased shooter or gunshop owner.

I think by the 1980s and 1990s that it was only Trap and FITASC that still were permitting 1 1/4 ounce? 

This is the info’ from a box of Gamebore Super Steel 32gms 3’s that I shoot when shooting ducks with my none steel proofed guns. 
These are stated ‘High Performance Steel Shot’ cartridges. 
Warning: these cartridges are for use in guns with a chamber length of 2 and 3/4 “(70mm) or longer, nitro proofed to a service pressure of 3 and 1/4 tons per square inch (900kg per square cm) 

Guns with a chamber length of 2 and 1/2 “ (65/67) mm or longer, nitro proofed to a service pressure of 3 tons per square inch (850kg per square cm) 

I use these ( and SAGA, which have all manner of disclaimers on the box, as do others ) whenever I’m shooting duck, which isn’t that often admittedly, but I use them through any of my guns ( even my old 101’s ) through nothing tighter than 3/4. 
With ‘standard‘ steel I believe, it is quite acceptable to shoot through any choke with any ( ‘good condition’ .....yet another disclaimer 🙂) nitro proofed gun. 

I repeat, it doesn’t matter whether your gun is proofed for steel or not,barrel damage is likely to occur if that wad fails.......its all down to the wad. 

5 minutes ago, Scully said:

This is the info’ from a box of Gamebore Super Steel 32gms 3’s that I shoot when shooting ducks with my none steel proofed guns. 

Interesting.  Gamebore's website states;

"12g Super Steel. This high velocity Steel load is suitable for use in standard 2 ¾” chambered guns in shot sizes 4 and 5. The larger size shot 3 should only be used in high performance steel shot proofed guns with barrels and chokes designed for steel loads."

See https://gamebore.com/uk/cartridge/game/12g-super-steel-game

7 minutes ago, Scully said:

Guns with a chamber length of 2 and 1/2 “ (65/67) mm or longer, nitro proofed to a service pressure of 3 tons per square inch (850kg per square cm)

Not sure how they manage this because their website states;

"The shotgun must be chambered for the case length of the ammunition as a minimum. Longer chamber lengths can be used with shorter ammunition".

and the cartridges are shown as being 2 3/4". 

8 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

"12g Super Steel. This high velocity Steel load is suitable for use in standard 2 ¾” chambered guns in shot sizes 4 and 5. The larger size shot 3 should only be used in high performance steel shot proofed guns with barrels and chokes designed for steel loads."

"The shotgun must be chambered for the case length of the ammunition as a minimum. Longer chamber lengths can be used with shorter ammunition".

It's a cover all - you pick whichever dependent upon your chamber length. I have just checked my supply of Super Game Hi Bird which are 65mm and it's the same on those.

11 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Policy has possibly changed since I bought these? Possibly an old box? Can't recall when I bought them to be honest! 

Anyhow, I still use them through my non steel proofed guns, and have done for years, just as I use standard steel through full choke in non steel shot proofed guns. 

19 minutes ago, Scully said:

Anyhow, I still use them through my non steel proofed guns

My big issue is the blanket ban we have on our (rented) shooting ground on plastic wads .....  I know that very recently (this season a first?) degradeable have become available - at least in theory.

27 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

My big issue is the blanket ban we have on our (rented) shooting ground on plastic wads .....  I know that very recently (this season a first?) degradeable have become available - at least in theory.

Eley do a degradable wad....’Eco’ something or other I think. Not sure of chamber length but I know they do a pigeon load. 

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Have you got room for another one on your squad?

any chance of a link to the event?

https://www.agl-uk.com/events/10-11-20/agl-side-by-side-challenge

Apologies, I joined with a squad of ladies and we have five. AGL are being very tight with numbers for safety reasons. Caddied round too so only five of us.

1 hour ago, Stimo22 said:

Just had a look on the AGL website under events and the side by side comp is running from Tuesday to Saturday but the cost is £34 for 80 clays. Must be gold plated I assume. And it says there is a prize for 1st place o/u ??

Less than non-members at EJ Churchill's. *Shrug* I have supported this event for a while now, I'd like to see it come back so I hope interest stays up.

39 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

https://www.agl-uk.com/events/10-11-20/agl-side-by-side-challenge

Apologies, I joined with a squad of ladies and we have five. AGL are being very tight with numbers for safety reasons. Caddied round too so only five of us.

Less than non-members at EJ Churchill's. *Shrug* I have supported this event for a while now, I'd like to see it come back so I hope interest stays up.

Not a problem hope you have a good day 

👍👍👍😊