Luxating patella

toontastic

Just had my 17 week old cocker at the vets for his final jab

He's been examined twice already and the vet found nothing wrong, but now he thinks he might have a luxating patella

He's getting checked again in four weeks as the vet says it might just be a puppy issue that will settle down

Does anyone have any experience of this type of problem and it's long term affect on a working dog 

More common in cockers than a lot of people realise. They'd be better off testing for this than some of the dna testing that's being done.

I bred a litter where both bitches turned out to have a problem, one was PTS, the other has never been operated on & has won awards in Trials.

A friend has one that's been operated on, the problem was only found when it was hunting hard. It's been a long process & the dog wont trial but it will be able to work.

I'd be interested to know the KC name of your dog to see how it's related, could you PM it?

These are the sort of things that should appear on ur myKC website and be compulsory to enter if ur dog has a problem, so u can see wether pups u've bred or litter mates/previous litters related dogs have problems like this and then u can make informed decisions either wether to breed from individuals (ideally) or wether u'd buy a pup of that breeding/lineage

It was a ftch x ftw mating, the ftch stud dog is very well known to anybody with an interest in trials. Sorry I don't want to pass on anymore info regarding names until diagnosis has been confirmed. 

Perse Thanx for the info about the other dogs with it, hopefully he'll be able to fulfil his potential even if diagnosis is confirmed.

25 minutes ago, scotslad said:

These are the sort of things that should appear on ur myKC website and be compulsory to enter if ur dog has a problem, so u can see wether pups u've bred or litter mates/previous litters related dogs have problems like this and then u can make informed decisions either wether to breed from individuals (ideally) or wether u'd buy a pup of that breeding/lineage

I think it should be compulsory that all health tests done on kc registered dogs should be sent direct to the Kennel Club & published. I know there's copyright issues with the PRA test but the if a 3rd party test is logged with the KC progeny will show up as clear on mykc. I've only got Labradors now & the biggest bugbear is SD2, very few people are logging their results particularly if it's a carrier. I now assume that if a dog's not got the test results posted it has to be a carrier. Numerous FTCH are, as is the line where all the red is stuff comes from.

Totally agree with u above perce

Really any possibly genetic illness diagnosed by vets should be forwarded to KC from the vets (say heart murmors etc too)

The problem is a lot of money involved nowadays

Further down the line u might even be able to do away with some of the testing, as a quick look at related dogs would give quite a good indication of diseases being passed on or if missing generations where it could be a carrying a reccessive gene.

Genetics at a simpple level is not that hard, farmers (and dog breeders) have been doing it for hundreds of years, just now with the common use of popular stud dogs and folk travelling all ove rthe country and too much money involved, its too easy to lose track of wot different dogs are throwing

Hes only 17 weeks, I wouldn't panic at all.. still growing and changing shape everyday. 

Long story short, my Cocker went lame at 4 months vet thought it was the same thing. CT scans and £1000 later, nothing was wrong, hips perfect, no luxating patella.. 

I'd wait it out and don't panic, if he was 17 months it would be a different situation.