Honest opinion on the kids and the internet

team tractor

Evening lads. 

Can you please give me an honest opinion on kids with the internet.

ive just had an argument with my ex over my son .hes come down stairs  crying about being scared and after a conversation it turns out he’s been watching you tube . He’s seen some scary videos and I’ve tried telling her but she’s refusing to stop him watching you tube in his bedroom.( he’s 8) 

shes got restrictions on but it’s not working.

hes even got the internet on his mobile phone .

im annoyed as I don’t believe he needs a phone at 8 years old and I never let him use his pad away from my sight .

we have a you tube ban if I’m not with him.

am I out of order ??? I’m just looking out for him .

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same prob as our boy had- he loves Hulk but unfortunately some of the ‘home made’ videos were very inappropriate or scary for him.

solution was to install ‘Youtube Kids’ on the iPads and uninstall the YouTube app.

Its great and so far we have not had any problems in the year or more it’s been installed.

Also some good restiction of viewing features available and the ability to have it shut down after a certain length of time.

Can understand your fears and I shared them, but in all honesty some of the things that they have seen have really helped in certain areas of hide development.....

Forunately they seem to know when is enough and like today, been charging around the garden, on scooters and generally having s bit of rough n tumble 

Edited by Jaymo

no you are not out of order..........it maybe too late to stop now...........my daughter is part of a group who all have children tween 8 and 9 and not one of them has a phone or unsupervised access to electronic devices......my grandaughter is fine and normal...

when she is old enough to learn that these devices are a useful tool and not your life she will get access to them...........

i havnt had a phone or i-phone for 7 years now............

3 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Same prob as our boy had- he loves Hulk but unfortunately some of the ‘home made’ videos were very inappropriate or scary for him.

solution was to install ‘Youtube Kids’ on the iPads and uninstall the YouTube app.

Its great and so far we have not had any problems in the year or more it’s been installed.

Also some good restiction of viewing features available and the ability to have it **** down after a certain length of time.

My worry is it was a kids video he had a problem on. I’ve seen many clips off parents on line where videos are altered halfway through so it masks it to the parents.

Don't back down it's about time people like yourself prioritise kids welfare over ease. Kids should play and enjoy childhood the internet is not a great place at the best of times. YouTube is great if monitored but too much inappropriate stuff accessible to kids. Good luck keep it up ???

My daughter will be 7 this year, so far she has a kindle which she plays on and does maths and other homework stuff plus drawing, but goes through phases of not being bothered about it at all. I think the longer they stay off the net the better, and certainly don't see why they need to be on it on there own, plus its set up with a time limit on it so it shuts down, she came home today and was so happy it was sunny, straight outside ? but some kids in her class do have phones ipads and who knows what else.

I have heard from other folk that the kids YouTube is supposed to be good, but I've no idea.

My little girl is 3 this week and she watches you tube but only what we put on . She loves the learning channels but she’s sat next to us all the time . She can’t write yet so she wouldn’t know what to search for anyway.

lots of videos on how to count and the alphabet which have helped her but then the phone is handed back to me or mummy. 

The big problem with the ex is she’s now put mobile data on his phone so I can’t control his usage as I normally won’t let him use the Wi-fi .

shes just lazy and leaves him in his room for hours on end. His eyes are black and skin pale. I’m just trying to protect him from the world at the minute and keep his child hood. 

Cheers lads :) 

You are not out of order. My ex a few years ago allowed my youngest daughter when staying at her house free access to the internet. Due to this my daughter ended up in a chat room talking to a lad of a similar age. This ‘lad’ when caught by the police was a 50 year old Asian , on investigion he was found to be grooming over over 30 other children. Tell your ex this story it might her sense. My daughter had a lucky escape as when he was caught conversation records showed that he had asked to meet up with her. Very scary indeed

7 minutes ago, yates said:

You are not out of order. My ex a few years ago allowed my youngest daughter when staying at her house free access to the internet. Due to this my daughter ended up in a chat room talking to a lad of a similar age. This ‘lad’ when caught by the police was a 50 year old Asian , on investigion he was found to be grooming over over 30 other children. Tell your ex this story it might her sense. My daughter had a lucky escape as when he was caught conversation records showed that he had asked to meet up with her. Very scary indeed

hello, a good post and pleased your situation ended well, as for the perp i hope he got some long years in jail

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Unfortunately kids are very resilient when it comes to the like of internet usage! I put passwords in place to prevent chris using his Xbox and the PC parental controls! But he is a clever little so n so and hacked the systems! So next I hardwired a digital timer into his room so the mains went off at 8pm. He bypassed that too. Then I banned him from using them and took his mobile phone off him when he went to bed, and removed his consoles and PC, he started making what I thought was progress! Up early and off to school early! The swine was going to the PC suite at school to access the internet there! And unbeknown to me, his mate had gave him another phone too! 

Buckle up Nath! It can be a very bumpy ride! 

Your not alone in your though, and your ex needs to support your wishes! But the kids will always find a way if it's what they want.

Don't think there is much you can do about it, being as your ex is happy for him to use it. Only hope is that by your son getting scared it makes him more wary of what he watches.

You tube do have filters for more graphic and adult themed content that must be signed into, unless your ex has signed him in to this content he should be shielded from the worst stuff.

Kids at school will brag and boast and tell others to look at certain things, its just part of growing up in today's digital world.

8 hours ago, Lord Geordie said:

So next I hardwired a digital timer into his room so the mains went off at 8pm. He bypassed that too. Then I banned him from using them and took his mobile phone off him when he went to bed, and removed his consoles and PC, he started making what I thought was progress! Up early and off to school early! The swine was going to the PC suite at school to access the internet there! And unbeknown to me, his mate had gave him another phone too! 

sounds like a clever kid LG

3 hours ago, jonny thomas said:

My sons are 20 and 24 they are the only ones in their group of friend that can gut a fish, tie a hook, shoot or clean a bird 

I imagine there an awful lot of folk who can't do that.

I do not think you are out of order but at the age of 8  most kids have mobile phones now or if they do not have them most of there mates have I would let him keep the mobile but get the internet taken off  as for indoors you or the ex should be supervising the usage of it  try to nip it in the bud now before its to late

No, you're not out of order; the net can be an insidious monster to the very young, and you're right to be concerned, but if you're not present I'm not too sure there's a lot you can do without causing a lot of grief for all involved.

I used to do a lot of talking to mine, trying to explain the reasons why they shouldn't be viewing a lot of things at their age; reasoning rather than telling them they can't.

Wait until he's about 10 and wants GTA!

36 minutes ago, hambone said:

Told my boy he would go blind watching some stuff on the internet, he replied with its amazing what goes on with carrots and  everyone knows that carrots are good for your eyesight, :lol::lol:

Yeah, I can recall my old man telling me the same thing but it was not about the internet  !  Still, I proved him wrong .................................. I went DEAF instead  !     :rolleyes:

I think I might be in the minority on here. My daughter is 10 now and had her first phone when she was 8. I’m not sure about android phones but if your son has an iPhone you can control the restriction level of the content they can view.

I did this on her iPhone and if set correctly they shouldn’t be able to access any potentially unsuitable websites including YouTube. Only you will know the passcode. 

Taking the phone off the lad is not the answer. It’s a peer pressure thing, I would say 8/10 of the kids in my daughter’s class have phones and they are always messaging each other, perfectly innocently. It’s a new world and my daughter is always on the thing. Just be aware and vigilant and check his phone from time to time to see what he has been up to.

1 hour ago, MrPhantom said:

I think I might be in the minority on here. My daughter is 10 now and had her first phone when she was 8. I’m not sure about android phones but if your son has an iPhone you can control the restriction level of the content they can view.

I did this on her iPhone and if set correctly they shouldn’t be able to access any potentially unsuitable websites including YouTube. Only you will know the passcode. 

Taking the phone off the lad is not the answer. It’s a peer pressure thing, I would say 8/10 of the kids in my daughter’s class have phones and they are always messaging each other, perfectly innocently. It’s a new world and my daughter is always on the thing. Just be aware and vigilant and check his phone from time to time to see what he has been up to.

My daughter is 12 and she’s already been bullied on line . She was crying in her bedroom about a girl going to beat her up.

56 minutes ago, MrPhantom said:

My son also had iPhone at 10 we put all these blokes on is phone.

He played cricket for the county and they all communicated through a web site let’s play cricket.

this site shows all results, players profile, and fixtures,

would you all agree this is a safe site? He was 14 at the time.

12 minutes ago, team tractor said:

My daughter is 12 and she’s already been bullied on line . She was crying in her bedroom about a girl going to beat her up.

Bullying has always been around in one form or another- if it’s not ‘online’ then you sure as hell can be certain it’s happening at school.

Cant blame solely,  the internet for it I’m afraid.

11 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Bullying has always been around in one form or another- if it’s not ‘online’ then you sure as hell can be certain it’s happening at school.

Cant blame solely,  the internet for it I’m afraid.

100% the internet. She doesn’t even know the girl in this case buddy