What would you reccomend..

WinchesterDave

Some of you know I have recently borrowed a friend's air rifle to sort some pigeons out around the barns for a permission. 

Having shot a few now, I can honestly say I am absolutely loving it. I am thoroughly enjoying learning as much as I can about air rifles. Before I borrowed the rifle, I had only ever used shotgun and never really thought about air.... 

However, I can absolutely see the point of Air and absolutely love using it. 

Having not shot rifle since I left the Army Reserve, I have consequently contacted a local target club and I am going down to see them this month to see what's what etc etc. 

As a new guy to air I have inevitably been looking online every day at different rifles, manufacturers, reviews, pellets and other kit/accessories that go with it. 

Now, if I were to buy my own pcp for both target use and field use which would you reccomend including scopes? 

I have been looking mainly at Air Arms s510, Weirauch HW100 and BSA R10 SE. They  seem to get good reviews and at the minute the one I've borrowed is the R10 Mk2 which is great fun and looks the business in the Black Pepper laminate, I think. 

I would appriciate any advices and reccomendations :)

Thank you in advance.. :good:

Dave 

I forgot to add, I am going to the Northern Shooting Show next month so I will hopefully be able to have a good chat to the manufacturers and hopefully try a few out on the range :)

Edited by WinchesterDave

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like you have it sorted, I have a AA S410 and can't fault it but I would of had the S510 had it been out when I bought the S410. I've not shot the others you mentioned but have seen others saying only good things. I have a Hawke Sport HD MAP 3-9 x 40 and it does the job just fine (I think it's discontinued).

Whatever you choose enjoy.

Edited by Newbie to this

17 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Seems like you have it sorted, I have a AA S410 and can't fault it but I would of had the S510 had it been out when I bought the S410. I've not shot the others you mentioned but have seen others saying only good things. I have a Hawke Sport HD MAP 3-9 x 40 and it does the job just fine (I think it's discontinued).

Whatever you choose enjoy.

Thanks for the reply Newbie :good: what was the deciding factor for your decision to buy Air Arms?

Edited by WinchesterDave

Ok .as a first (and possibly last )pcp airgun to biy and own .i  would massively reccomend a bsa ultra. Se Reasons - 

Relatively cheap .excellent quality .very accurate .easy to work on and tune .loads of after market bits .Not pellet fussy .light to carry around .short and manoverable ..easy to pump up .

BRITISH .

Dont forget it can get expensive quickly .gun ,scope, mounts ,silencer , pellets bag .chrono .targets. pump /bottle .rangefinder ,Camo clothes .

So starting out with a  £1000 gun could leave you short. 

A bsa ultra se should be around £ 550 

New and £400 ish sh. And as they are reliable a sh one is a great option .

15 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Ok .as a first (and possibly last )pcp airgun to biy and own .i  would massively reccomend a bsa ultra. Se Reasons - 

Relatively cheap .excellent quality .very accurate .easy to work on and tune .loads of after market bits .Not pellet fussy .light to carry around .short and manoverable ..easy to pump up .

BRITISH .

Dont forget it can get expensive quickly .gun ,scope, mounts ,silencer , pellets bag .chrono .targets. pump /bottle .rangefinder ,Camo clothes .

So starting out with a  £1000 gun could leave you short. 

A bsa ultra se should be around £ 550 

New and £400 ish sh. And as they are reliable a sh one is a great option .

Brilliant! Cheers Stu, I must admit the r10 can get a bit heavy after a while. 

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

That one in the pic is .11 fpe .and .177 

I mainly use it as my competition hft gun .when i do it goes in a different stock .

IMG_20170607_130048.jpg

Wow, very nice! 

That was another question, calibre! 22 or 177...? Loads of what I've read people say 177....but coming from shotguns the bigger the ballet the more knock down power you have at range...I presume the same must apply to air... I understand 177 has a flatter trajectory etc but does that out do the 'stopping' power of the 22? 

Sub 12 then 177 may just have the edge as it' ever so slightly easier to shoot accuratey given the flatter trajectory. 

That said .22 isn't exactly hard work. Both do the job as well as the other so dont lose sleep over it. Personal preference is all it comes down to. I've had and shot both and can honestly say not one rabbit/pigeon/rat or crow moaned about being shot with either one over the other. 

Didn't take long for the air rifle bug to get you did it Dave ?? 

which calibre is the oldest argument there is, as for which rifle it comes down to if you want new or second hand, if sh its what is available, the rifles you've said are all going to get good reviews it will just come down to what you think or feel when you handle them.

where is the target club your looking at? Keep saying I'll get out more but other things get in the way.

5 hours ago, WinchesterDave said:

Wow, very nice! 

That was another question, calibre! 22 or 177...? Loads of what I've read people say 177....but coming from shotguns the bigger the ballet the more knock down power you have at range...I presume the same must apply to air... I understand 177 has a flatter trajectory etc but does that out do the 'stopping' power of the 22? 

The main thing you have to remember with airgunning is that we are dealing with a single low energy projectile .

Even with a .25 cal fac its still not massive .yes a .22 should carry more energy down range than the equivalent. .177,  but that very  small difference makes no difference to the quarry. 

Putting the pellet in the correct place is the key 95 % of the time .so choose a pellet /calibre that allows you to do that. And u will have success .

Edited by Ultrastu

Given that you are shooting birds around barns I would also recommend the BSA Ultra SE but in 22. The 177 is flatter but you will have a lower shot count and the risk of the pellet going through the bird - body shot with a 22 being the safest option every time.

Personally, you should go to a shop and shoulder them. If you can,  try them  gunshop range. 

Buy what feels right for you, yeah sure I could bang on about, my HW100sk. How great it is. However it might not feel comfortable to other shooters.

If your wanting a friendly user cal .20 is the one to go for. Only one pellet head size, and a range of about 5 different pellets you can try.

Unlike 177, 450,451,452,453.  And a JSB for example make all these. That is just one pellet manufacturer. Hope this makes sense.

gun choice though is limited on the .20  HW100 range, or  Daystate Regal. Both great guns.

I had a AA s410 and couldn’t get on with it as if you didn’t pull the bolt back hard enough you would load 2 pellets. I now have a HW100 in 177 and I love it, I head shot a squirrel out of the top of a tree last week with it. 

If you thinking of target shooting you will need a 177, I think that’s all they use.

1 minute ago, cervusman said:

I had a AA s410 and couldn’t get on with it as if you didn’t pull the bolt back hard enough you would load 2 pellets.

I've never had mine load 2 pellets and can't see how not cocking it fully would cause it to, unless you was cocking it twice, in which case you should have removed the mag and indexed it back to an empty slot. 

Sounds like user error rather than a fault with the gun.