What would you reccomend..

WinchesterDave

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i would not pay £sss on any rifle that only did 30/40 shots per fil, 2nd hand AA S200,/ brocock concept/ or similar type PCP at 60/80 shots per charge and £35 pump off ebay  

My ultra se .in .22 did 60 shots in the sweet spot. 

Not bad for a  short gun 

5 hours ago, Mice! said:

Didn't take long for the air rifle bug to get you did it Dave ?? 

which calibre is the oldest argument there is, as for which rifle it comes down to if you want new or second hand, if sh its what is available, the rifles you've said are all going to get good reviews it will just come down to what you think or feel when you handle them.

where is the target club your looking at? Keep saying I'll get out more but other things get in the way.

It certainly didn't! I had a feeling it would hit me lol... 

The target club ive contacted and organised to go and see is WiganTSC.

Dave :good:

Edited by WinchesterDave

In Germany they have restrictions on hunting so I am convinced Weihrauch dont think about hunters. Their guns are heavy as hell to carry around and have safety catches that can heard 100 yards away.

For me it’s would be DAYSTATE,, all the way I no you haven’t mentioned them but the overall quality,,and build is amazing I’ve had airarms as well,, and don’t get me wrong they are a fantastic rifle,, but I like daystates,, I have the huntsman classic 177 and the MK4 is thumb hole both with hawke sidewinders sat on top,, there’s loads of choice out there just make sure take your time and decide on the 1 you really like not what u think looks the best,,let the gun fit u!! Not you fit the gun??Good luck in the decision ??

1 hour ago, Phil9 said:

For me it’s would be DAYSTATE,, all the way I no you haven’t mentioned them but the overall quality,,and build is amazing I’ve had airarms as well,, and don’t get me wrong they are a fantastic rifle,, but I like daystates,, I have the huntsman classic 177 and the MK4 is thumb hole both with hawke sidewinders sat on top,, there’s loads of choice out there just make sure take your time and decide on the 1 you really like not what u think looks the best,,let the gun fit u!! Not you fit the gun??Good luck in the decision ??

Cant disagree with you Phil. Ive had Air Arms s410's, Wiehrauch HW100, both the S and the KS, and they were all fabulous rifles. The HW was heavy though. I have a Daystate Airwolf in FAC, which is beyond extraordinary. A phenomenal rifle. I also have an Air Ranger, Tac stock, sub 12, in 177. That too is absurdly consistent and accurate. Over 250 shots per fill compared with the others above that are around 50. It will punch groups of 5p size at 40 yards all day long. Might put that up for sale shortly as I spend more time with the FAC and 223 these days.

The HW100 is accurate as hell, heavy and boringly good but the Ultra is fun and light with enough shots for a session or take a cylinder and top up or save some more cash and buy either an FX Wildcat, short, light, accurate and 200+ shots per fill and FX Impact, short, a little heavier but not much, very accurate, 700+ shots per fill but top dollar. I have one in .25 fac and love it, only wish I had the cash and I would buy another Impact in sub 12 in any cal because you can just buy a new barrel in what ever cal you want.

One other rifle to consider is the FX Streamline which is light, 200 shots per fill and accurate. I might even be selling mine as it just doesn't get used as I use fac all the time.

Phil

8 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Do you have a budget ? 

Or are you happy to spend what you need to,  to get the best gun and accessories to fulfil your "need" 

As it is early days yet I am unsure to be quite honest. I am hoping that once I've handled a few and shot a few... the budget might be easier to establish, if you get me? 

Dave 

• 2 weeks later...

A  great rifle , that's bigger than the Ultra(higher shot count) , but just as accurate , rugged and reliable is the, BSA Scorpion se Tactical.

As an 'allrounder' its hard to beat . its not too heavy , not  too expensive . 

I own HW's , AA, and they are extremely good too, but the BSA,  is the oldest , and has never ever let me down , its accounted for

thousands of Rabbits rats  , and Squirrels.

Edited by Longbower

Yep, recently got into air rifles too. Needed to do some tidying up around farm yards and an air rifle was the only safe option.  Purchased a s/h TX200 first off which I love. Most of my shooting is from blinds so the weight is not a problem.  However I found that on barn pigeons I was getting multiple chances where I needed a quick second shot and even the TX200 was slow in that respect so I went to my local air rifle shop and they had a AA S200  .22 in, second hand at a sensible price.  Superbly accurate and has now contributed to the demise of many barn pigeons and a fair few maggies and squirrels as well.  There are many choices on the market these days for some first class air rifles. For your barn pigeon job, I do suggest a pcp and not a single shot ... mine has a ten shot magazine and one morning I had a friend cover one end of the cattle shed whilst I cover the other and so the birds in there kept flying back and forth, we finished on 19 in less than 5 minutes before the others escaped. Could not have done that with a single shot pcp or springer.  Have fun.

Edited by Walker570

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 02:07, WinchesterDave said:

As it is early days yet I am unsure to be quite honest. I am hoping that once I've handled a few and shot a few... the budget might be easier to establish, if you get me? 

Dave 

So Dave did anything take your fancy at the shooting show then?

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

So Dave did anything take your fancy at the shooting show then?

Hello Mice. It certainly did. 

With the research I did before hand, I narrowed the choices down to a HW100KT laminate or the AA S510 Ultimate Sporter. 

I shot both of them back to back. Guess which I came away from liking more... 

The Weihrauch!! The build quality was brilliant, the pistol grip was extremely comfy, the action is smooth and even the magazine was 'heavy' and solid and SIMPLE! 

Also it looks awesome I think. 

I must admit, the s510 action was smooth but overall the HW won me over. 

I also looked at Hawke scopes and narrowed it down to a Panorama or Airmax SF. 

Now the only niggle is CALIBRE!! .177 or .22.... hear so many say .177 in a sub 12 rifle but can't help but think I'd miss the bigger pellet!...I don't know I'm new to it lol! 

Dave :good:

I've not shot a new .177, always found the pellets small and fiddley but those that do shoot them certainly like them, do you know anyone you could borrow one from for a few days? Wouldn't like to buy a new rifle then find its the wrong one. Or maybe see if mcavoys if that's where your buying from can lone you one?

7 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I've not shot a new .177, always found the pellets small and fiddley but those that do shoot them certainly like them, do you know anyone you could borrow one from for a few days? Wouldn't like to buy a new rifle then find its the wrong one. Or maybe see if mcavoys if that's where your buying from can lone you one?

Don't know anyone with a .177 unfortunately! Hadn't thought about asking McAvoys either... 

I like the idea of a flatter trajectory on the. 177