Sad loss

steve0146

For those that know me, I shoot in the south west but travel all across the UK for my wildfowling and shoot with a number of different clubs.. 

I have a number of wildfowling videos on YouTube and if you type in sjb685, some will come up. 

Unfortunately, have to give it all up for awhile... on Sunday my 7 yr old lab, the most amazing wildfowling dogs I've ever had the pleasure to shoot with, looked slightly off colour in the kennel.  We did our normal walk, she swam in the river and fetched a few dummies out of the tide, wagging her tail joyfully each time she returned one. 

On the walk back..i noticed her stomach was swollen but not affecting her. I thought fat cow has eaten the other dogs food also! 

Next day, we repeated the walk, swim etc.. she just didn't look right so popped up to vets... 

We sat there and waited. She wagged her tail, looking at me as if to say, theres nothing wrong dad, why we here. 

Vet called us in. I explained why we were there.. they took her for an ultrasound to listen to her belly... 

I was called into another room and told her belly was full of blood, she was bleeding out and wont make it till morning. 

I broke down in vets and obviously was saying what are you talking about ?? Shes fine.!  

She had a tumour on her spleen that caused her to bleed internally. Too late for surgery and I needed to say goodbye. An hour ago she was in the river swimming.. she was so desperate to please , always willing to work , would do anything you asked, right till the end.

Holding her still, looking into her eyes while the vet injected her was the hardest thing I've ever done.

Im waiting for the ashes but will scatter her across our favourite marsh 

Rest in peace Willow and always make the most of every trip out with your companion as it may be their last. 

She was my best friend, never offered advice, never criticised, just listened. 

Just 10 mins before i read his i was watching you video on trialing you headcam on a goose retrieve,  she was a lovely looking dog that knew her stuff.

I lost my spaniel last year in the same sort of circumstances, on the last walk i took her, i stood there amazed at the energy she had running up and down hills etc.That night my wife noticed he looked a bit down so we took him to the vets and were given the same devastating news you had.......it really really hurts.

Very sorry to hear about you loss.

What a terrible shock it must have been when the vet gave you the sad news , really , really feel for you , I had my old one put down this time last year , I say old but he was only ten ,  I knew what was coming when I took him to the vets for the last time and as you know it leave you devastated . with yours being only seven and being so fit it must make it even more difficult to get over the shock.

GOOD LUCK . 

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 14:47, steve0146 said:

Thanks for comments  

All dogs are special in there own ways , but I think dogs used for wildfowling have that little bit extra , wildfowling is a solitary sport and your only companion is your dog , he /she never complain about what time you go , how long you go for and the conditions you go in .

Mine often sit in shallow water for long periods just for the sake there might be a retrieve , and when there is a retrieve he will do everything in his power , plus a bit more to bring that fowl back to hand , mine know when he have done a good retrieve by how his tail is wagging , where a simple one for the dog , its a slower action on the tail and the look in his eyes say can you make the next one a bit harder please.

Have you got another dog  Steve ? , if not will you be getting another one . 

21 hours ago, marsh man said:

All dogs are special in there own ways , but I think dogs used for wildfowling have that little bit extra , wildfowling is a solitary sport and your only companion is your dog , he /she never complain about what time you go , how long you go for and the conditions you go in .

Mine often sit in shallow water for long periods just for the sake there might be a retrieve , and when there is a retrieve he will do everything in his power , plus a bit more to bring that fowl back to hand , mine know when he have done a good retrieve by how his tail is wagging , where a simple one for the dog , its a slower action on the tail and the look in his eyes say can you make the next one a bit harder please.

Have you got another dog  Steve ? , if not will you be getting another one . 

I have a lurcher who is anxious when left so it's extra hard at minute as he doesn't have company. No other shooting dog though. Will get another one in the future but not yet. 

I think those who don't shoot, dont have the same bond. She used to sit there every Saturday morning, in rain and wind and just listen. She helped me through a divorce and other personal issues  (always women related!) by just listening. I get her ashes next week so can say goodbye properly.