OSPREY !!

Smokersmith

I'm a bit excited ...

Coming home from my daughters parents evening, alongside the Holland Drain out the back of Holbech and saw a bird of prey just disappearing behind some trees onto a telegraph pole ..

It was too 'slim' to be a buzzard, and expected to see a kite as I slowed up and pulled up alongside ... but no ... there it sat no more than 15 yards away, my all time favourite bird of prey that I've never seen in 44 years on the planet .... we drove alongside it for several hundred yards as it went from post to post before it went away across the fields.

I even went to a special evening boat trip to Rutland Water, but didn't manage to catch a glimpse.

For some of you lucky folks, this will be nothing at all, but for a bumpkin like me from the Fens it was simply awesome :yahoo:

What a bird.

Whilst fly Fishing at Twin Lakes trout fishery at Croston, not far from Preston, about 10 years ago  I watched an Osprey circling one of the lakes for about 5 minutes before it snatched a Small Rudd or Roach from the surface. Fantastic. Manager said it had been about for a week or so.

Like you Mice I saw my first Red kite in Cheshire a couple of years back.

46 minutes ago, Good shot? said:

Whilst fly Fishing at Twin Lakes trout fishery at Croston, not far from Preston, about 10 years ago  I watched an Osprey circling one of the lakes for about 5 minutes before it snatched a Small Rudd or Roach from the surface. Fantastic. Manager said it had been about for a week or so.

Like you Mice I saw my first Red kite in Cheshire a couple of years back.

I cant believe you saw an osprey not far from me, didn't think we would get them around here.

I saw an osprey on Loch Ness a few years ago, I felt very lucky actually and no one else on the rib noticed :)

Red kites are plentiful  here they are actually the most common bird I see at home now. Thinking about it I hardly see any of the common garden birds anymore :hmm:

10 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Fishing the Tay at Catholes a few years ago an osprey took a trout from the river about 50 yards upstream of me! Made my day!

There are quite a few along that stretch as far as the city centre in Perth too, kingfishers are getting much more common now, but there are still pitifully few salmon

10 hours ago, Mice! said:

I cant believe you saw an osprey not far from me, didn't think we would get them around here.

I have seen many Osprey (in Australia) and could not believe my luck at the time, I was about 30 yards away from it when it picked up the fish.

They`re quite common on passage in the far south of Hampshire. One of the strangest "osprey" sights I`ve ever seen occurred in the centre of Havant, for those who don`t know it a satellite town just outside of Portsmouth. In the middle of a busy shopping precinct is a large local authority park with a rigidly canalised stream running along the edge of it, immediately adjacent to a busy road and opposite a large bus terminus.

Flying lazily along the stream one mid morning on a spring day, oblivious to all of the above, regularly stopping mid air to hover momentarily over the water, was an adult osprey!

We see quite a few both spring and autumn on the Hampshire coast.

One took a trout about 100 yards away from our boat whilst fishing at Eyebrook Resevoir last year. Truly magnificent sight to see the bird swooping, hitting the water and then taking off with the fish it’s talons. A bit of a red letter day as we also saw buzzards and red kites that day. Shame that the fishing was poor.