Packing in the Fags.

Robertt

Wrong side of sixty and still smoking.

Always said to myself that as soon as it has a bad effect on my health I'll pack in. Easier said than done.

Going back to the last driven game season I always seemed to get the furthest peg and when I arrived iI was seriously out of bxreath.

Did beatng as well which well done me in.

Got so breathless I thought I had pneumonia / emphysemia / lung cancer.

Recently saw the Quack and thankfully diagnosed a serious chest infection.

Antibiotics for ten days.

In the meantime I had a go with an e .cig.

Anyway after 10 days of no fags or beer I met up with the shooting friend's at the pub and was ***** myself as I thought I'd cadge or buy some fags.

I love smoking. I did stand downwind of the smoke but I didn't  smoke 

I feel as though this is the begining of the end.

I really think the ecig has helped me.

I've got a positve mindset now and think I will kick it,

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to my doctor and he gave me some Champix tablets which helped me stop. I smoked for over 20 years and never thought I could stop as I loved my tobacco.

Been stopped for 6 years now and never really looked back. I have gained 2 stone though since, so now starts another problem!

Keep focused, good luck.

Stopping is the best thing you can do for yourself. I know loads of people who have stopped and all without exception say its one of the best things they ever did, and I have to agree. 

I also know plenty of folk who still smoke; most smoke rollups as they're cheaper, but they're rolling any old **** they can get hold of because they're cheap; their breath and clothes stink and their teeth and fingers are yellow. Not a good look. 

Stopping smoking is a mind game, and it can be unbelievably easy with the right mindset. I wish you well. 

4 minutes ago, sitsinhedges said:

Good luck. I stopped 13 years ago aged 40, best thing I ever did. I got my head right by reading Easyway by Alan Carr, don't miss it one bit and wouldn't smoke another for a thousand pounds.

There you go. :good:

8 minutes ago, Scully said:

Stopping smoking is a mind game, and it can be unbelievably easy with the right mindset

1 minute ago, The gouse said:

Have you been a smoker scully?

He's exactly right, if you want to give up you will.

When I did it, I did it with no aids. I smoked 1 fag before I went to bed after deciding to give up and never looked back. I had smoked for 25+ years.

I keept an half smoked pack of 20 in my pocket for about 4 months, I found having them there when the cravings came, stopped the panic of needing one, as they were there if I wanted one. After 4 month I classed myself as a non smoker and the fags went in the bin.

Stick with the ecig, even if you falter and have a fag don't let it be the start of you smoking again, keep up with the ecig and slowly cut down on the nicotine content until you are down to zero or feel you can do without it.

I smoked for 50 years and it was the ecig that helped me give up. 4 years now and feel better than 10 years ago.

I have being of the fags for a year now using a e cig without it i know i would still be smoking. Don't listen to the only way to stop cold turkey willpower etc brigade, what's  important is that you stop not what method you use. :good:

Edited by ordnance

8 hours ago, Robertt said:

Always said to myself that as soon as it has a bad effect on my health I'll pack in. Easier said than done.

Going back to the last driven game season I always seemed to get the furthest peg and when I arrived iI was seriously out of bxreath.

Anyway after 10 days of no fags or beer I met up with the shooting friend's at the pub and was ***** myself as I thought I'd cadge or buy some fags.

I too am the wrong side of 60. Been smoking since I was teenager. Tried but never managed to stop....................Until 3 years ago when I tried with the 'e-fags'.

Not had a fag since. Do I still miss it? Yeah, course I do. Sitting outside on an early summer morning with a strong coffee and an electronic device, is just not the same.

Now my smoking/vaping habit only costs me £2 a week, no more noisy breathing and generally feel better all round. 

I don't think the wanting will ever leave (I know some peeps that stopped tens of years ago and still have a fancy at times) but it certainly gets easier.

The best of luck to you.:good: 

Honestly,  if I can do it anyone can!

After loads of attemts I was prescribed Champix by my GP

After 10 days I was a non smoker. No willpower needed whatsoever. 20-30 a day for 35 years.

That was 5 years ago, I've never had the urge again, even when drinking in the company of smokers.

Dont start me on the new Omega watch or the new Beretta bought cash in the first 18 months of stopping.

But most of all I'm still alive, I dont believe I would be had I not stopped when I did.

Out of breath is an understatement!

Keep at it.

Edited by mickyh
Too much information shared lol

I used champix ten or eleven years ago never miss smoking cigarettes, only thing i miss is the taste and smell of a nice cigar with a Cognac or Armagnac. Probably hate it if i tasted one now. Hope i never smoke again until they burn in a coffin.

Stick with it yu will feel loads better in a short time with more breath for exercise too.

Go for it , I smoked pretty heavily from a 16 year old until 7 years ago, Im now 69 and feel the benefit of packing up. .

Im lucky I guess that so far not had any major problems through it, but the wife who didnt smoke very many a day had major lung problems just a few short years ago, which necessitated in a full lung transplant , had she not been accepted for a transplant very unlikely she would be here today.

Good luck

10 hours ago, Robertt said:

Robert I could never stop my wife from smoking unit..... She had a Stroke , that did the trick.  Both for your health and your wealth stop it.  As for using patches  to help, they will but ... Only if you stick them over your mouth.