Packing in the Fags.

Robertt

In 1999 my late brother was in a  hospital ward dedicated to throat cancer patients.  I had not smoked cigarettes for some years but puffed away on St Bruno pipe tobacco.  Seeing all the patients in that ward being fed through tubes made me ditch tobacco from that day forth.  Glad I did it must be an expensive hobby today.

Blackpowder

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting points, a couple years ago I was chatting with s buy side analyst for tobacco companies and asked his view on e cigarettes, vaping etc..

The tobacco industry doesn’t see it as a threat, the view is that people giving up via vaping would have given up anyway and many will go back to cigs, exactly the same as what they experienced with patches, gum etc..

57 minutes ago, PPP said:

Interesting points, a couple years ago I was chatting with s buy side analyst for tobacco companies and asked his view on e cigarettes, vaping etc..

The tobacco industry doesn’t see it as a threat, the view is that people giving up via vaping would have given up anyway and many will go back to cigs, exactly the same as what they experienced with patches, gum etc..

They do see them as a threat, that's why tobacco companies are buying up vaping companies.  Vaping is as close you will get to smoking to the real thing, its not like sticking on a patch etc, or any other nicotine replacement product. So in that way they are different to patches and gum. 

British American Tobacco (BAT), the largest tobacco company in the Europe, launched Vype around four years ago.

Altria (formerly Phillip Morris) owns MarkTen.

Lorillard paid $135 million for Blu, but when R.J. Reynolds bought that tobacco company in 2015, its e-cigarette brand was sold to Imperial Tobacco, a company in the United Kingdom.

Edited by ordnance

The most I ever smoked was 2-3 packs a week but gave up when I got married because I didn't want to smoke in the house BUT I still smoke when out clay shooting which means I can go days without a single cigarette but then binge out and have several on a Sunday, sort of hate doing it but seem to enjoy it with the occasion. 

14 hours ago, The gouse said:

Have you been a smoker scully?

Unfortunately yes. I amoked at least 20 a day for about 30 years. 

Getting your head right is the answer. ‘Giving up’ implies to your brain that you’re sacrificing something, you’re not . The only sacrifice is the one you make whilst you’re smoking, namely to your health and your wallet. Once you’ve made up your mind to ‘stop’ then you’ve done it. 

Its all in Mr Carrs’ book. 

Dont wait for that moment of euphoria because it doesn’t happen; all that happens is you get in with your life as a non smoker. 

I was so excited and happy when I stopped, that I went to the pub to celebrate. The sense of freedom sitting there with a drink watching others smoke, and knowing I’d stopped, was wonderful. 

3 hours ago, Hamster said:

BUT I still smoke when out clay shooting which means I can go days without a single cigarette but then binge out and have several on a Sunday, sort of hate doing it but seem to enjoy it with the occasion.

I was like this for some time, but gave up totally about 10 or 15 years ago now.

I gave up using wine gums - at the time I became a bit of an expert nerd on the value bags from all my local supermarkets for texture or flavour. 

For probably 5 years I still had occasional cravings but then they stopped I am glad to say.

Big thumbs up for having a go - I wish you all the best and hope that you find the way it works for you.

42 minutes ago, 243deer said:

I gave up using wine gums - at the time I became a bit of an expert nerd on the value bags from all my local supermarkets for texture or flavour. 

For probably 5 years I still had occasional cravings but then they stopped I am glad to say.

Big thumbs up for having a go - I wish you all the best and hope that you find the way it works for you.

Must stink the house out when you set fire to one of those Gums ! 

You really must want to pack the weed in.I must have given up twenty times but my head and heart was not in it,until one Saturday I awoke to discover I did not have a fag to go with my first cup of tea! disaster.Straight up to the shop and got 10!.Walking home I realised the weed had taken my life over.I smoked that last packet almost straight off,and never smoked again.That was eighteen years ago after smoking for 20+ years.You feel much better for packing in ,food will taste better,your fitness will improve,you will smell nicer,and you money will go further,all pluses.So give it a good go,I wish you all the luck  because nobody says it will be easy but you can do it.Good luck. 

I think eventually they will turn out to be just as bad for your health.

I doubt that and the evidence so far shows them to be a lot safer than cigarettes, the is no tar or carbon monoxide in them for a start.

E-cigarettes: benefits and risks - NHS Choices

Just now, ordnance said:

I doubt that and the evidence so far shows them to be a lot safer than cigarettes, the is no tar or carbon monoxide in them for a start.

E-cigarettes: benefits and risks - NHS Choices

It's still early days, I hope my fears are wrong but I'm not convinced yet.

Either way, if it helps people stop smoking then they are a good thing :good:

6 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

It's still early days, I hope my fears are wrong but I'm not convinced yet.

Either way, if it helps people stop smoking then they are a good thing :good:

Its certainly not something i would recommend a non smoker starting, but more as a aide to stop smoking.  

I smoked off and on (far more on than off)  into my 50s. But  I could feel it negatively impacting my health and I wasn't enjoying them any more and so  I was constantly 'giving up" and then starting again, alcohol being a very negative influence in that regard. And then a Swedish friend turned me on to  Swedish snus as a substitute. The first time I tried it I was nearly sick on the spot - the nicotine rush is massive - but then I  got used to it and ended up  using it to get me off the cigs. What happened was that after a while, the  'feel good' factor of not having a chronic  cough meant that I wasn't up for smoking again, while at the same tine, if I had the cravings I could stick a snus packet in and the nicotine hit would be there in spades. That went on for probably about 4 years, and then it got harder and harder to actually get hold of the snus. Eventually, about 3 years ago, I thought to hell with being an addict. I still enjoyed the snus but I was having to jump through hoops to procure it, and the whole process was getting demeaning. So  I just stopped the snus as well and it was the easiest thing in the world. 

(Having said that, if I'm in company with Swedes and anyone has a can of General or Ettan even now I  I'll sraightaway cadge a dip if I can, and it's like falling into the arms of an old lover! But that hardly happens more than once or twice a year, and outside of that I never think about nicotine at all.)

The absolutely vital thing is to get off the smoke. As I say,  I did it by getting my nicotine elsewhere. For me,  the chewing gum was useless, and the vaping thing just too  contrived and ugly. But the snus has a long and noble tradition and my self-image was comfortable with it. And it works. Anytime there's that reckless  'just give me a cigarette!' feeling, a portion of General onto the gum and then the thud, thud, thud and  burn under the lip of the nicotine going home without fail chases any further idea of a cigarette clean from your mind.

So, what I'm suggesting is that if you're really battling to quit the cigs, why not see if you can't  hunt out a supply of snus (yes I know its sale is banned in the UK but where there's a will, etc, etc..)  and give it a try Who knows? If nothing else is working,  it might end up saving your life. I'm not lying when I say that I'm pretty it almost certainty saved mine.

Edited by Retsdon

20 hours ago, fern01 said:

I stopped smoking when I was 23,  just after I got married.

Its a good job I did as I know for certain I would be dead now and would have never seen my children grow up and have children of their own.

20 hours ago, fern01 said:

I stopped smoking when I was 23,  just after I got married.

Its a good job I did as I know for certain I would be dead now and would have never seen my children grow up and have children of their own.

Did giving up smoking also enable you to see the future?

We all have different amounts of willpower when it comes to quitting smoking  , I used to smoke in my teens and twenties , when I was in the  navy the R N fags were either free or very cheap , we were allowed so many each month on ration and the boys who didn't smoke would get them and sell them off cheap.

When I came out I had to start paying full price and even in the 70s to me they were expensive , so after another increase in the budget I decided I would see how long I could go without smoking purely to save some money , I must admit the first week was the worse but having gone one week without smoking I was sure the second one would be a bit easier , which I suppose it was .

I did develop a sore throat , but soon got over that and the crave for tobacco was getting less and less and I was beginning to feel the benefit both in health and finance , well this was over 40 years ago and I haven't smoked since then and I doubt now I ever will .

My wife stopped about the same time as well , we are not well off by any means but we are both on full state pension and by not smoking, and drinking come to that we can live a fairly comfortable life , when I get my paper in the mornings and see what the fags cost nowadays I think that alone would be all the deterrent I would need to pack it up.

There are 2 addictions in smoking, 1 is the nicotine the other is the habit. Once you can kick the habit the 2nd part being the nicotine comes easier. I bought what was to be my last packet on the 26th of December 17, I've lapsed a few times since and had 4 in 1 night (darts final night) but can now manage a pint or 2 most nights without the craving for a smelly fag.  

Keep at it Robert it gets easier. Don't kick yourself if you fall now and again just get back up and keep at it. 

8 hours ago, Dougy said:

There are 2 addictions in smoking, 1 is the nicotine the other is the habit. Once you can kick the habit the 2nd part being the nicotine comes easier. I bought what was to be my last packet on the 26th of December 17, I've lapsed a few times since and had 4 in 1 night (darts final night) but can now manage a pint or 2 most nights without the craving for a smelly fag.  

Keep at it Robert it gets easier. Don't kick yourself if you fall now and again just get back up and keep at it. 

Very true, I seem to crave the habit as I don't smoke at home or work or at all unless I happen to have a gun in my hand :lol: then the desire to complete the happy picture becomes compulsive. It's breaking the habit of associating one with the other rather than the nicotine itself as the ones I get are really thin low tar stuff, when I occasionally get given a normal cigarette I sometimes wonder how people can smoke them regularly.