Laser printer

besty57

just bought a replacement for my Oki that I've had for years,not worth having repaired as bought a Brother laser printer from argos for less than £50, was a half price offer, its wireless, small neat  tucks out of the way and not heavy, plenty good enough printer for me, just had a look on the net and looked for the cheapest known brand

Depending on use and how diy happy you are take a look at running costs. Laser toner cartridges can be very expensive to replace or refillable with a £5 bottle of toner and a drill depending on the make. I have an old Samsung on its original starter cartridge but with many subsequent refills. The printer was £30 but a new 3000 sheet toner cartridge would have been £65 a time, but they can be refilled at about £3 a go if you diy. 

My parents last I heard were using brother lasers for their business use as they were easily refillable from a bottle. In their case the cost per sheet works out cheapest getting four or five refils on the standard cartridge then replacing the whole thing when the next component along packs up. I suspect there is either no profit on the printers or a sizeable loss the manufacturers try to make back on the parts.  

Thanks guys,

I've had Epson inkjet printers before, and because they can stand for a while between each use ,the ink dries in the jets,and there a b*gger to try to get them printing again,

At least that's what I've found,

Hence the post,so was thinking a laser might be better,as I said it won't be used much so I'd rather spend a bit more for convenience of the laser.

Hope this makes sense,

Al

25 minutes ago, besty57 said:

Thanks guys,

I've had Epson inkjet printers before, and because they can stand for a while between each use ,the ink dries in the jets,and there a b*gger to try to get them printing again,

At least that's what I've found,

Al

that is exactly why I use laser, you can just fire it up and of you go, doesn't matter how long it was since you last used it you know it will print, not like an ink jet.

if I want colour printing quite happy to pay, especially for ink hungry photo's

its a HL-1212W I got

Edited by itchy trigger

Now you do get what you pay for so don't expect mega quality for £50 but it will do for mono documents and basic home use. If you took that into an office it would probably fall apart by the end of the month. The number of times we would get calls for print quality when someone had bought a cheapy colour laser printer for graphics work and I would have to tell them that what they had was printing to spec.

You can get problems with laser printers if you leave them for a long time unused, the fuser ( hot roller that melts the toner to the page) can develop flat spot causing a rhythmic thump noise as it prints and the photo-conductor can get lines on it from where it has been in contact with the transfer roll, so you end up with a repeating black line down the page. I tend to leave mine turned on because they hardly use any power when in standby and they usually have a feature where they wake up move the motor a bit and go back to sleep, this helps stop any chance of the above happening.

Refilling toner carts is up to the user but I don't like them. I have spent far to much time cleaning mounds of toner from inside printers due to the customer using refills. If you are in warranty don't use them as the manufacture will want you to prove that they aren't the cause of the problem. If your printer cart is just a box that holds some toner then refilling probably ok but if you have any developer rolls or it is cart with built in photo conductor don't bother refilling. These type of carts are full of seals, rolls and blades that wear out and print quality goes down hill fast and they will leak toner everywhere. There was a time when we would go through 3+ new refilled carts and they all leaked poor ,quality or broken in the refilling process. I wont just point the finger at the after marker refills as the manufacturers refill and their refills are **** as well. If you do have a toner spill don't: 

a. hoover it out with a domestic hoover, toner is so fine it will pass straight through the filters and out again and cover everything in toner, use a sealed toner vac. Also there is a risk of a dust explosion.

b. don't blow it out with an air duster unless you like your lungs black.