Last day on the rape.

dead eye alan

Out yesterday on a low patch in the rape, sat under willow trees with a brook behind me. Beautiful day the sun coming through the trees over my left shoulder, set up just 6 dead birds on sticks found an old pheasant feeder bin to sit on and a small piece of net that i had in my pocket was all i needed to start. After shooting the first 3 close in to the trees 2 long tailed tits started to pick up the feathers and fly off down the hedge, thy returned several times and took absolutely no notice of me sitting just a couple of feet away, made my day just being at one with the countryside. Packed up at 16.00 hrs with 14 in the bag lost 3 over the brook ( too deep to cross and steep banks ) a long walk back to the motor in 31 deg really took it out of me but i loved every minute of it. Beans been drilled today so Tom and i will be on them on Saturday. :good:

4 hours ago, dead eye alan said:

Out yesterday on a low patch in the rape, sat under willow trees with a brook behind me. Beautiful day the sun coming through the trees over my left shoulder, set up just 6 dead birds on sticks found an old pheasant feeder bin to sit on and a small piece of net that i had in my pocket was all i needed to start. After shooting the first 3 close in to the trees 2 long tailed tits started to pick up the feathers and fly off down the hedge, thy returned several times and took absolutely no notice of me sitting just a couple of feet away, made my day just being at one with the countryside. Packed up at 16.00 hrs with 14 in the bag lost 3 over the brook ( too deep to cross and steep banks ) a long walk back to the motor in 31 deg really took it out of me but i loved every minute of it. Beans been drilled today so Tom and i will be on them on Saturday. :good:

I was also out yesterday afternoon , conditions were ideal to sit about in our lovely countryside in the sunshine , not so good for pigeon shooting but I did manage a few and a slight tan , and as a bonus , I was close to one of the Broads so when I finished my dog cooled off with a swim , temp in the motor was 26 degrees ,

32 minutes ago, motty said:

Some of the rape round these parts are low enough to be shot for a week or two yet.

Very few pigeons are venturing out to the low patches on the rape fields now the buds on  the trees , yesterday I drove around the headland and the rape was nearly level with the top of my motor and nearer to the wood it was only a foot to eighteen inches high with no pigeon activity , all the guns are now turned off and I think it is it now until it is cut .

Now the rape is in flower you now notice fields that you didn't know they were rape and last year it was rumoured that the acreage was going to be reduced this year , going around the countryside there seem to be as much , if not more than other years .