Let's hope it's not Fake news

gdadphil

On 21/04/2018 at 22:53, johnnytheboy said:

This is obviously not going to be the truck we all hoped it would be. 

However what is obvious is there is a massive gap in the market for a utilitarian off road truck we can all fix at home! 

I have heard relatively good things about repairability of the Isuzu and Great Wall pickups. That said they are a long way from a 300tdi defender but so were the defenders approaching end of production. If it would tow 3.5ton I would be tempted by Great Wall.

Emissions and safety regs limit what can be left out for simplicity, whilst designing things to be cheaply made limit how repairable things can be. As much as I'd love to be able to buy a new easily repaired defender I doubt it could be done (assuming the regulatory issues vanished) at a price anywhere near the competition, supposedly the defender had been loss making for years even as it got more and more expensive because there were just too many man hours in building one compared to a truck built by a robot. 

Maybe a robot could build a simple truck easier than it could build something complexed like the above suggested defender! The only problem with Isuzu and Great Wall is the relative absence of dealer network and there in volumes sold, which leads to limited cheap parts and non in breakers for salvage parts!