dings in shotgun stock

the riceman

13 hours ago, the riceman said:

I've done this before but that was on an oiled stock which worked ok, I've been warned against doing it with a laquered stock.Thanks for your replies though.

Then why not give it an oil finish, which I'm sure will enhance its looks. There are good instructions on how to do this pinned at the top of this section. Then any future dings can easily be dealt with.

How slight a ding? 

If it's just a small dent that hasn't broken or cracked the lacquer you could try a fill with clear nail varnish. I've used this to good effect on stained and varnished maple.

Degrease with a little white spirit on a clean rag. Apply nv a little at a time and allow each coat to fully dry, doesn't matter if you go a little over coz you'll flat it back. Build up the layers till it's proud of the surface, it shrinks back alot when drying. Flat back with wet 1200 wet and dry, add a drop or two of washing up liquid to the water. Buff flat surface with Vonax polishing compound. When I say buff I mean show it the whiskers on the buffing wheel. Any pressure or heat generated will drag the nv out at the edges where its thinnest. Has to be a buffing wheel as strop ragging it will get too warm and drag it out. 

Might be worth a try if you don't fancy stripping it at this stage, and has worked for me in the past. If you don't happen to have access to Vonax and want to give it a go pm me and I send you a piece. 

Bassoon bodywork in case you were wondering. 

its a tool........................forget about it...use it how it should be used...then if you want to sell it at a later date, stop using it sort the woodwork out and sell it...........

life is too short to mess about with little scratches.............

19 hours ago, ditchman said:

its a tool........................forget about it...use it how it should be used...then if you want to sell it at a later date, stop using it sort the woodwork out and sell it...........

life is too short to mess about with little scratches.............

Whilst I agree that life is too short Ditchie and it's only a tool, us retirees have the time to spend on such minor items. Having said that, I really don't know how I found time to go to work as 'Tempus Fugit' even quicker these days. 

OB