Curlews

JohnfromUK

Today (21st April) is "World Curlew Day"

There was an article this morning on Radio 4 about Curlews and how they have experience a big drop in the numbers of breeding pairs right across Ireland, Wales and southern England.  The lady (Mary Colwell) being interviewed had done much research and seemed very 'sensible'.  She has written a book (Curlew Moon) about her travels observing Curlews.  The Curlew is having a hard time because of reduction in habitat (especially in Ireland) and an increase in predators, particularly foxes and crows elsewhere.  Two of 13 species may already have become extinct.

The suggested measures to protect the Curlews included predator control, but there was doubt cast as to whether in the present climate, fox control was 'acceptable'.  Apparently the UK has the highest density of foxes anywhere.  Nice to hear a conservationist with some common sense on the need to take predator control seriously in order to protect the species more vulnerable to habitat loss (which of course is a much 'longer term' and harder issue, but is being tackled to some extent by various conservation bodies).

It is sad for me as I remember when I was young, Curlews always used to nest in the river meadows my father then owned - and he used to (try to) keep all dog walkers out (we were banned from walking our own dogs there as well!) when the Curlews were breeding.  Since it was sold, the new owners are also very conservation minded, but I haven't seen Curlews there for a few years now.

Edited by JohnfromUK

Quite a few pairs and love hearing them although nowhere near the numbers of old.

Usually try and thin out any early evening wandering foxes that scoop up the nexts on their travels.

Had 2 the last 2 evenings and one on a superb field that always gets big numbers of peesies nesting on it.

When I farmed in Aberdeenshire, I had a bit of a hill that was nothing but rough grass, heather and a few whin bushes. Every year there would at least one pair of curlews nest there, and hearing them for the first time after the long winter was  wonderful. Their arrival was the voice of spring.

Good numbers here in the Western Isles, I understand they nest on the moor and winter on the coast, I remember an old Shooting times book "wader shooting" that suggested you cooked a Curlew with an onion in its body cavity,  a beautiful bird that deserves protection

On 21/04/2018 at 14:59, greenshank1 said:

They are stunning and it's great shame they are declining , too many predators and change in farming.

Did people shoot and eat them years ago ? If so what did they taste like ?

Curlew were very good eating and I must have eaten 100s of them back in the 60s\70s and never had a bad one. We used to casserole them slowly on a low heat. Stacks of meat on them too , more than a wigeon and they tasted a lot better than many a foreshore wigon.

We would collect their eggs, to eat, along with Black Headed Gulls from the Roman Wall lake area in Northumberland in the 70's.

Lapwings too, all quite legal back then.

If only we knew then what we were doing.

We all had huge Birds Egg collections then too.

Only ever showed my Boys birds Nests/Eggs and that was still naughty. 

Their song is quite haunting, with their guide away antics of landing and dragging a wing.

Edited by mickyh

On 21 April 2018 at 14:59, greenshank1 said:

Did people shoot and eat them years ago ? If so what did they taste like ?

I shot a few years ago, along with many other waders on the quarry list but cannot really remember what they tasted like as my old Mum was a good cook and could make a decent meal out of most things, however inedible they were supposed to be.

It was just a means of supplementing the family budget and putting food on the table.

Rook (branchers) pie was a speciality in April and was keenly devoured as a welcome change from rabbit.

OB