Cctv

wildrover77

Planning and installing some cctv. Have come to the conclusion it is relatively pointless as a serious security measure. A balaclava renders it useless. I already have a monitored alarm system.

So I am looking at something cheap. Have been told even the cheap stuff is quite good today. 

Any experience, advice?

Have come to the conclusion it is relatively pointless as a serious security measure. A balaclava renders it useless. "

Any experience, advice? "

Not totally useless...I know a man who suggests...Most people train a camera on the entrance door to a property and the bandits have already donned their balaclavas when they appear on camera. Advice is train one camera on initial entry point, eg: the front garden gate, as few will don balaclavas in the street, so there's a chance of a facial before they think they're on camera and if a vehicle is involved there's a chance of a view. 

Down the side of a building put an unobtrusive marker at a known height..black line on the brick work perhaps or a marker on garden trellis work, at 6 feet or 5' 8". Many people place cameras with a downward view which makes it more difficult to judge a persons height, so any comparison marker helps.

Put a small motion activated light next to a camera, it's known that some of the slower witted visitors who simply put their hoodies up will often look up at an unexpected light...Ta! smile please.

No guarantees with any of this, but at least the local Old Bill might get know that your visitor who got out of a Transit van, is a 5' 6" (courtesy of the marker) white bloke because he didn't put his balaclava on until he got to the front door, or looked up when the light suddenly went on. There's more too and it all helps the Sheriff weed out any likely local scroats. 

As the lady in the TV advert used to say...Every little helps   :lol:

To say it is pointless as a serious security measure is a bit daft. Otherwise the country wouldn't be covered in CCTV. It can be beaten for sure, but then again any security system can and will be. If used properly, as per sierra11 suggestions above it can and does work (maybe not all the time but at least some of the time). Monitoring of the system is also crucial in its success. I have it installed and recently spotted what looked like someone having a go at taking my Defender, as I was monitoring it at the time I was able to raise the alarm and have someone check the area very quickly.

I have the SWANN NVR8-7400 system, it is one of their better systems and whilst I have seen folks slag it off (I am sure there are far better around) it does everything I need it to do. On the occasion above it managed to easily provide me with the vehicle reg. number of the transit the occupants came from and gave a decent enough image of the guy concerned, who if required could have been identified I would think.

What I would say about cheap is that yes it will provide you an image, but if you are trying to identify or read a registration number, you are likely to struggle in real life. If its purely as a deterrent, buy some fake cameras and put them up. 

The country is covered in CCTV because the general public have been happy to sacrifice their liberty for their safety.

2 hours ago, m3vert said:

To say it is pointless as a serious security measure is a bit daft. Otherwise the country wouldn't be covered in CCTV. It can be beaten for sure, but then again any security system can and will be. If used properly, as per sierra11 suggestions above it can and does work (maybe not all the time but at least some of the time). Monitoring of the system is also crucial in its success. I have it installed and recently spotted what looked like someone having a go at taking my Defender, as I was monitoring it at the time I was able to raise the alarm and have someone check the area very quickly.

I have the SWANN NVR8-7400 system, it is one of their better systems and whilst I have seen folks slag it off (I am sure there are far better around) it does everything I need it to do. On the occasion above it managed to easily provide me with the vehicle reg. number of the transit the occupants came from and gave a decent enough image of the guy concerned, who if required could have been identified I would think.

What I would say about cheap is that yes it will provide you an image, but if you are trying to identify or read a registration number, you are likely to struggle in real life. If its purely as a deterrent, buy some fake cameras and put them up. 

Is the Swann system considered professional or home?

It seems to be a fast moving market hence running anew thread rather than searching old ones.

CCTV kit is getting better all the time. 

I can access my system (professionally installed)  on my phone or laptop when I am away - even change the zoom and direction of certain cams.

A few days ago, I was 100 miles away and decided to check the camera in the yard to see if a delivery had been made - only to see a horse galloping around my yard and garden! Was able to alert somebody by phone, and he caught the errant critter and put it back where it was supposed to be before it had done too much damage.

Edited by stagboy
clarity

Just bought Aldi,s ,£160 having it fitted by a man that can  as im still gippy hipped so ladders aint happening .Let u know how it runs .4 cameras and a 1tb hard drive giving 28 days recording and remote access by phone or p/c so fingers crossed 

Go for any reasonable outside system you fancy.......but.....get yourself one of the nest style indoor camera that you just set on shelf they are often ornament like they link to your internet and send you whatever they pick up to your fone etc.....this means you have evidance even if system gets tampered with.....and if they cover up to gain entry they almost always take it of when inside feeling safe......the quality of image will surprise you....  

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 11:11, wildrover77 said:

The country is covered in CCTV because the general public have been happy to sacrifice their liberty for their safety.

Is the Swann system considered professional or home?

It seems to be a fast moving market hence running anew thread rather than searching old ones.

I would think the system I have is probably classed as "home" it is around the 500-600quid mark so not budget. I am certainly happy enough with it so far.