Walther LGU

winnie&bezza

Good Sunday morning all,

I want to get a springer again and had my mind set on a 97k with the view of tuning it.  I have now been reading up on the LGU and might have changed my mind on the 97. 

If I was to get the LGU then I would replace the plastic trigger with a Rowan one and make a stock for it so I would get rid of the plastic trigger guard. 

It seems that out of the box, it is above the high end competition it has. What’s your views? Cheers

Vermin Hunters UK has one he was getting very good accuracy out of his and only had good things to say about it.

I would go TX200 if my fingers weren't so big, trying to load into that little port has pellets all over the floor written all over it.

42 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I dont really know the lgu .not shot one .

I have shot hw 97 and do own a tx200hc. 

I prefer the tx .to the 97  .i find hw s in general a bit too twangy for my liking .my tx is a  much nicer, fast ,thump 

Thanks for that. 

I read that the LGU shoots smoother than the TX200 but haven’t shot either so don’t know. Do you think the reason a lot of people go for the 97 is the weight factor?

31 minutes ago, davewh100 said:

I've had both 97 and tx200 and the 98 out of the three the tx200 would be my choice

Were all out of the box rifles? 

Cheers

11 minutes ago, figgy said:

Vermin Hunters UK has one he was getting very good accuracy out of his and only had good things to say about it.

I would go TX200 if my fingers weren't so big, trying to load into that little port has pellets all over the floor written all over it.

Yeah great rifles the TX’s but I like having something a bit different. The LGU is quite a bit cheaper too.

I shoot/shot all of them.

OOB the LGU is by far the better rifle as the HW97. And cheaper too.
To bring a HW97 to the same technical standard as the LGU (double bearings each on compression tube and piston) you will need a V-Glide tune that will cost you a fortune.

You are based in UK so I would suggest to take a TX into consideration.
OOB technically better than a HW97 and espeacially with a walnut stock much more beautiful. Metalwork IMHO better too.

If you want to fettle / tune you can bring all of the three to a standard that will outshoot the man behind the trigger easily.

LGU - trigger (polish and install metal tuning blade) and transfer port (for 12fpe - if not already done - open to 3,2 to 3,4 mm)-
HW97 - trigger polish, deburring and polishing the whole system and as written above a V-Glide tune.
TX200 (HC) - trigger polish.

Generally all three will profit from a degrease and regrease with proper MoS2-grease/paste (I have no experience with Krytox so far but think it is highly overrated) and from my own experience a VORTEK PG2 tuning kit will work a treat in any of them.

Anyway you should try to shoot the different models before making any decissions.
At least get them in your hands and shoulder them to get some feeling what suits you better.

Happy shooting.

16 minutes ago, pelletcaster said:

I shoot/shot all of them.

OOB the LGU is by far the better rifle as the HW97. And cheaper too.
To bring a HW97 to the same technical standard as the LGU (double bearings each on compression tube and piston) you will need a V-Glide tune that will cost you a fortune.

You are based in UK so I would suggest to take a TX into consideration.
OOB technically better than a HW97 and espeacially with a walnut stock much more beautiful. Metalwork IMHO better too.

If you want to fettle / tune you can bring all of the three to a standard that will outshoot the man behind the trigger easily.

LGU - trigger (polish and install metal tuning blade) and transfer port (for 12fpe - if not already done - open to 3,2 to 3,4 mm)-
HW97 - trigger polish, deburring and polishing the whole system and as written above a V-Glide tune.
TX200 (HC) - trigger polish.

Generally all three will profit from a degrease and regrease with proper MoS2-grease/paste (I have no experience with Krytox so far but think it is highly overrated) and from my own experience a VORTEK PG2 tuning kit will work a treat in any of them.

Anyway you should try to shoot the different models before making any decissions.
At least get them in your hands and shoulder them to get some feeling what suits you better.

Happy shooting.

Many thanks for your very helpful input ??

Regarding the transfers port, would it being a uk 12ftlb rifle mean it’s 3.2mm? Not up on that.

I will definitely be taking it apart and polishing it all up as I love doing things like that as I’m a a bit OCD ?

cheers

10 hours ago, figgy said:

Would that be the video where they only mentioned about 100 times it was a 'sandwell fieldsports tuned LGU' ? :lol:

9 hours ago, winnie&bezza said:

Many thanks for your very helpful input ??

Regarding the transfers port, would it being a uk 12ftlb rifle mean it’s 3.2mm? Not up on that.

I will definitely be taking it apart and polishing it all up as I love doing things like that as I’m a a bit OCD ?

cheers

My pleasure.

The German "F"-version comes with 2,6 mm TP.
I somewhere read about 2,8 mm beeing sold in UK but have no proof.

For a "genuine" UK sub-12fpe a TP of 3,2 mm will fit perfectly if you are using all the other parts (piston, spring, top had, spring guide) unchanged.
Going FAC a TP of 3,4 - 3,5 mm will do. Don't go further.

29 minutes ago, pelletcaster said:

My pleasure.

The German "F"-version comes with 2,6 mm TP.
I somewhere read about 2,8 mm beeing sold in UK but have no proof.

For a "genuine" UK sub-12fpe a TP of 3,2 mm will fit perfectly if you are using all the other parts (piston, spring, top had, spring guide) unchanged.
Going FAC a TP of 3,4 - 3,5 mm will do. Don't go further.

So how do you ream them out? Lathe job?

Cheers

43 minutes ago, team tractor said:

I’ve an lgu Nath . 

I bought it off a friend who’d had it a year and never used it.£150  

i bought it to get back into ft shooting with my kids and it’s a cracking gun. It’s crisp and not twangy.

Jammy ***! 

Nice.

what cal? As accurate as they say? 

I own and shoot both the LGU and a tx200 both in .22 cal now the lgu is out the box

the tx 200 was bought from a local tx fan who owned several tx airguns infact they are his only airguns

this tx i have is so smooth its a pleasure to shoot, but the lgu is also a great airgun, pellet on pellet at 30 yds  i would have  a job to decide which is best, i love shooting them both as i do all my springers.

atb brian

17 hours ago, team tractor said:

It’s great  

i havent taken it to the club yet but it’s a great bit of kit

Cool. .177 will be my choice

4 hours ago, happyshooter said:

I own and shoot both the LGU and a tx200 both in .22 cal now the lgu is out the box

the tx 200 was bought from a local tx fan who owned several tx airguns infact they are his only airguns

this tx i have is so smooth its a pleasure to shoot, but the lgu is also a great airgun, pellet on pellet at 30 yds  i would have  a job to decide which is best, i love shooting them both as i do all my springers.

atb brian

Has the TX been fettled with at all? 

Price wise you can’t go wrong with the LGU then. I’m also looking at the varmint version even though I’m not a fan of black synthetic. I’m not sure if I’m right but for what I have been reading about it, it has been set up for hunters. I probably change the stock on it eventually.

Cheers