Walther LGU

winnie&bezza

On 22.4.2018 at 23:20, winnie&bezza said:

So how do you ream them out? Lathe job?

Cheers

It's just 6mm of soft steel (not hardened).
Don't have a lathe so I just take a nice electrical hand drill, new qualitiy drill bit, high speed and little pressure. Unbure (chamfer) the edges in and out little bit just to get rid of burs. Easy peasy.

Got a nice pillar drill recently. Will try it out next time.

Edited by pelletcaster

Might be tempted to buy the right sized reamer we're it mine if its not hardened. You'll be able to control it much better and go up in size gradually. I would be concerned using a hand held drill with it grabbing in a pre-existing hole and making a proper mess. You could end up with and enormous hole at a wonky angle, not round and burred up to boot. 

@pelletcaster you're a braver man than me but if that method works for you.... I'm just not sure an engineer would recommend it. 

6 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Easy to sharpen a drill to prevent it grabbing and ensuring that it does not cut over-size if you know how - in fact you can get a drill to cut pretty much like a reamer if you have experience with drill sharpening - used to do it a lot on CNC Lathes.

Been on cnc lathes all my years and i can only just grind a drill to cut size ? the thought of someone with a hand drill near a gun barrel makes me shiver, pillar drill with the barrel clamped sounds less scary.

Normally used "U" drills on the CNC's but I learned early on in my engineering days how to sharpen twist drills to cut to size/over-size or like a reamer or specifically to cut Brass, Aluminium etc - just a knack I guess but I ended up doing just about everybody's drills in the factory. Year ago now since I ran my last 2 - Colchester's with Fanuc operating systems.

46 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Normally used "U" drills on the CNC's but I learned early on in my engineering days how to sharpen twist drills to cut to size/over-size or like a reamer or specifically to cut Brass, Aluminium etc - just a knack I guess but I ended up doing just about everybody's drills in the factory. Year ago now since I ran my last 2 - Colchester's with Fanuc operating systems.

I'm stood here working hard :whistling: on a twin spindle twin turret nakamura tome fanuc controlled lathe, and udrills are why my grinding is pants, plus someone such as yourself got paid ot for grinding drills, these days they get sent out.

On 26.4.2018 at 07:28, Mr.C said:

Might be tempted to buy the right sized reamer we're it mine if its not hardened. You'll be able to control it much better and go up in size gradually. I would be concerned using a hand held drill with it grabbing in a pre-existing hole and making a proper mess. You could end up with and enormous hole at a wonky angle, not round and burred up to boot. 

@pelletcaster you're a braver man than me but if that method works for you.... I'm just not sure an engineer would recommend it. 

You're right.
I was perfectly aware of the risk when I did it the first time and another three times after. So far I was lucky but looking for better less risky ways anyway.
So thanks for for your advice.