Decking structure help

Cosd

Next project for the summer is the garden and the first part of the job will be a large decking area.

In case it makes a difference, I'll be using composite decking boards which are 22.5mm thickness.

Decking area will be around 85m/sq

I don't mind going over board on the construction as I don't want to have problems later and I don't want any bounce whatsoever.

Thinking to use 6"x2" treated timbers for framing, and spacing 350mm to centre's.

Not decided yet, whether I should use screws or joist hangers.

Not decided yet, spacing of the support posts.

Not decided yet, what to use for the supports (decking will be raised approximately 15"), would 3" posts be OK?

Any other considerations I need to be having?

I'd appreciate any tips anyone has to offer.

Edited by Cosd

2 minutes ago, Winston72 said:

what will it be laid over? grass concrete tarmac etc?

the base is 5" type one MOT, note, there has been a change of plan and we was going to be laying slabs :) 

Edited by Cosd

I’d personally try and use as less timber as you can in the ground. 

Did a decking job last year to replace an area that had gone rotten. The previous fitters had laid the joist in a weak mix of concrete so the timber just sucked up all  the water ?

I decided to use concrete lintels to lay joints on so it kept them elevated above the ground. I dug 12’’ holes at the ends and middle of the lintels and filled with concrete to give solid little footings for lintels to bed on. I could only use 4x2 joists due to back door cill height. You could up the joist depth.

If you go with posts in the ground and then fit joists to the side of them, then coat the ends of posts with a bitumen before concreting then in so it gives them a longer life. It was a bloody solid structure I must say.

FBDF9F63-38CD-428E-B357-046A0B8F37BD.jpeg

D0044361-A760-4084-BF79-A322466E0231.jpeg

1 hour ago, winnie&bezza said:

I’d personally try and use as less timber as you can in the ground. 

Did a decking job last year to replace an area that had gone rotten. The previous fitters had laid the joist in a weak mix of concrete so the timber just sucked up all  the water ?

I decided to use concrete lintels to lay joints on so it kept them elevated above the ground. I dug 12’’ holes at the ends and middle of the lintels and filled with concrete to give solid little footings for lintels to bed on. I could only use 4x2 joists due to back door cill height. You could up the joist depth.

If you go with posts in the ground and then fit joists to the side of them, then coat the ends of posts with a bitumen before concreting then in so it gives them a longer life. It was a bloody solid structure I must say.

Not planning to put any timber in the ground.

The MOT will be wacked down pretty hard, and planning to put down a bed of sand and cement mix with a concrete patio slab for each post to sit on; This way posts don't sit in the ground. All sawn edges will be treated.

I used joist hangers, very easy to use.

I also concreted in my posts @ 14yr ago, and last year a few decking lengths were starting to rot so I lifted them to see how things were below and the posts are fine and I had to replace 3-4 lengths of framing and just removed all the planking so it looks neat, happy days, hope yours lasts as long

A local pest controller I know says that the rise in the popularity of decking is keeping in him business. Rats love it. 5 star accommodation for rats he calls it. 

Hence my wife won’t have it in the garden  

Any truth in that? 

18 hours ago, AVB said:

A local pest controller I know says that the rise in the popularity of decking is keeping in him business. Rats love it. 5 star accommodation for rats he calls it. 

Hence my wife won’t have it in the garden  

Any truth in that? 

The majority of my decking will be surrounded with brickwork; The little which isn't am planning to take precautions over this.

WIth 5mm spacing on the deck I guess should keep rats out, and will be ensuring no gaps left around edges.

Any other tips for keeping them out? Maybe making solid sides around the edges?

On 22/04/2018 at 22:59, Cosd said:

Not decided yet, what to use for the supports (decking will be raised approximately 15"), would 3" posts be OK?

Believe it or not decking, verandahs and balconies etc require planning permission if they are above 30cm above the ground. Its on planning portal. 

https://interactive.planningportal.co.uk/detached-house/outside/decking

Apologies in advance for being ackward :sad1:

Edited by Jbob
Additional information