Drillings can be good!

motty

I decided to have another go at the pigeons, today. I was spurred on after having an enjoyable time yesterday on some freshly drilled beans. It was so nice to have been out in the sunshine with some pigeons decoying nicely. I finished with a nice little bag of 39, which was a very small percentage of birds seen.

Today I headed out  with a few fields in mind, having had a thorough look around yesterday. I looked at several bean fields, some drilled barley and wheat, and also a few rape fields. On one of the last farms I checked today, I spied several pigeons dropping in on a field of spring wheat that I saw the farmer rolling yesterday. It looked quite good. I got out of the truck and looked for grain. I found enough to keep a few foraging pigeons interested. Incidentally, this field is only a mile or so from the bean field I shot yesterday.

My old pal Muncher is not usually active on a Sunday, so I asked his brother if he wanted a few shots. Gerard (Farmageddon) turned up after I had already brought around a dozen pigeons down to earth, to join the pigeon magnet and group of shell decoys that I placed to entice them.  I was surprised at how well things were going and at how well the pigeons were responding to the set-up. I suppose I had forgotten what proper decoying is like.

We were having a great time. We both killed some good birds, but missed some silly ones. The shooting, coupled with Gerard's unique sense of humour made for a very pleasant afternoon.

The birds just kept coming. It didn't seem to matter too much if we had just killed some of their mates, they followed them right in, despite the bangs seconds before.

We carried on until the action slowed right up. this was around 5.30pm. The four dogs did a great job of picking up the birds. I am still surprised at the final bag of 165 pigeons and a jackdaw.