Handfasting Ceremony

Old Boggy

Has anyone ever attended a Handfasting Ceremony, which I now understand to be a Pagan wedding ceremony. We have been invited to one later in the year and are not quite sure what to expect or what the dress code is. Not being in the habit of wearing beads, garlands, Green Man masks etc. we were wondering what we will be letting ourselves in for. I have been told that it can follow or be followed by a church ceremony but not sure in this case.

It all seems a bit too 'Glastonbury' to us ageing conventionalists.

Any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks,

OB

1 hour ago, Newbie to this said:

Try a youtube search, there will probably be a few videos on the subject.

https://youtu.be/BGOQUQqOI28

Thanks for that. Just looked at a few videos and it all looks pretty harmless and quite charming in some cases, with quite a few 'ordinary' people in attendance. Has allayed my apprehension somewhat.

OB

I have been told that it can follow or be followed by a church ceremony but not sure in this case."

Just to inform you OB, and put you in the picture, if I may... If the Hand Fasting that you have been invited to is to take place at the Temple at Glastonbury, then it will be a legally recognised marriage and would not therefore be followed by a Registry Office formality. Due to a lot of hard work by a Pagan lady, and others, who put the English Pagan's views to the Government, Hand Fasting if conducted by the proper people at Glastonbury will be as legal as a trip up the aisle of Canterbury Cathedral for the people concerned. Enacted in law 2016.    

9 hours ago, sierra 11 said:

I have been told that it can follow or be followed by a church ceremony but not sure in this case."

Just to inform you OB, and put you in the picture, if I may... If the Hand Fasting that you have been invited to is to take place at the Temple at Glastonbury, then it will be a legally recognised marriage and would not therefore be followed by a Registry Office formality. Due to a lot of hard work by a Pagan lady, and others, who put the English Pagan's views to the Government, Hand Fasting if conducted by the proper people at Glastonbury will be as legal as a trip up the aisle of Canterbury Cathedral for the people concerned. Enacted in law 2016.    

It's not in Glastonbury and would have been better in Canterbury Cathedral as that is only 7 miles away. It is in Norfolk, which is even more worrying, but I'm sure Ditchman will be back to enlighten me further on the Norfolkian customs. Not sure that I'll fit in though, I've only got four fingers and a thumb on each hand.

OB

12 hours ago, clakk said:

Will Big Sarah be there and will it be edible paper underware 

If Big Sarah is there, which of the senses will be best used to recognise her - sight, sound,  or smell ? Taste is not an option.

OB

6 minutes ago, ditchman said:

dont forget to get your visa before you come over the boarder.............

What currency do you use, or can I barter a few cauliflowers, as we grow `em good down here.

18 hours ago, spandit said:

A girl with armpit hair gave me recommendations for a bakery on Saturday. She wasn't wrong. Embrace being at a ceremony that is about a couple's love, not some imaginary friend who tells them they must fear him

You could level the same 'imaginary' argument at those who have these pagan ceremonies with their polytheistic beliefs in a number of deities what with spirits of the forest and that sort of thing.

This is a great question for modern times and by following standard rules of etiquette you won't go far wrong.  Other people may wear their thing, you wear yours but do it with respect for the occasion.

15 hours ago, sierra 11 said:

"   . Not sure that I'll fit in though "

Reading your posts after your initial question I suspect that is true. Do the couple a favour....  Stay away.

I did not wish to appear irreverent in any way whatsoever and fully respect others views and beliefs. The thread got somewhat derailed but my original question was meant most sincerely. The videos that I have since watched, show the ceremony, whether legally binding or not, to be a very moving occasion. I trust that the couple in question will be more accommodating than the tone of your response.

OB