rugged phone

tonker

Hello, having shot and been in the construction industry since the year dot, and not wearing ear protection, I'm now pretty mutton geoff. I dropped my phone off the third story scaffold last week and it didn't bounce very well!!! So my question is can you recommend a cheap, rugged phone with a loud ring tone that might suit an old codger like me. The iphone that my lad gave me to use is ok but I don't hear the thing ring if it's in my trouser pocket. And I don't think it will last very long anyway if the truth were known.  The phone I had was a moto G in a case, that had a nice loud ring but it didn't take the slight drop lol. thanks for any suggestions

There are quite a few available.

You have to realize that a smart phone will be far superior to the rugged phones in terms of screen quality, expandibility etc.

Anyway, onto business.

The Onedirect Xtreme Tough Mobile Phone which is available in Black or Orange is a great phone, although it lacks a large screen, i have personally tested this model and its pretty much invincible.

The CAT S40 Rugged Smartphone is a good phone, although i personally have not tested it, i have it on good authority that the phone takes a beating. This also has a larger screen.

The CAT S60 Tough Smartphone is the same as above with slightly better features.

The Doro 8020X is designed for "older folk" with that in mind the ring tones are louder and simpler to use, unlike the above and below this is IP67 rated.

The AGM X2 is a blinder of a phone (although not cheap!). I had this on test for a week and tried desperately to kill it to no avail. I even drove over it and threw it out the window of my girlfriends 3rd floor flat balcony.

The main things to look for are as follows, Gorilla glass, IP68 rating, a reinforced chassis (some are just thicker rubber instead).

See if you can find a second hand one on the bay of fleas (eBay) and give it a test. Personally i would start with either the Doro or the One Direct.

Good luck :)

Have a look at the sonim phones. not great if you do a lot of metal grinding as the speaker fills with metal filings. but  other than that they are tough, have a 3 year guarantee and a loud ring. I managed to put mine through a baler once and it was ok once I found it.

A griffin survivor case make an iPhone pretty tough and the Samsung s7 is pretty good