One for the farmers on here.

turbo33

Have any of the farmers on here had any cattle fall victim of Neosporosis?  I hadn't heard of it until recently. It seems, that it is a parasite carried/passed in dog/fox faeces and cross contamination with water sources.  Yet another problem for farmers to deal with in the management of their land and livestock, keeping foxes under control and "right to roamers" wandering anywhere they like and allowing their dogs to do the same.

The big red private keep out signs on my perm actually mean walk where u like ,let your dog pooh everywhere and let them off a lead so the lambs and calves panic thanks very much.Oh  and dont worry there,s no public footpath as you can do whatever u want 

4 minutes ago, clakk said:

The big red private keep out signs on my perm actually mean walk where u like ,let your dog pooh everywhere and let them off a lead so the lambs and calves panic thanks very much.Oh  and dont worry there,s no public footpath as you can do whatever u want 

Yes, BUT,  go and step foot on their  "Little bit of England"  and see what happens  !

One of my farmers had a problem with it. Turned out the bloke who had moved into the house at the bottom of the Farm was letting his dogs run through the silage field for the morning daily constitutionals. He got asked several times to not do it, then warned not to do it, then cattle were put in that field and signs went up about stock being worried and he was warned the dogs would be shot if they were caught worrying cattle/in the field and that did the trick. Anyone who knows anything about cows knows they love to chase dogs so either the warning worked or the dogs got chased enough that it worries him enough to keep them off the farm. Either way there isn’t a footpath anywhere near that field so he shouldn’t have been on it and the funniest thing is the farmer hasn’t even got an air gun never mind a shotgun license!

I know a few beef/diary farmers and none of them have been infected/affected by it.

According to this article the shedding of oocysts by the host will last around 2-3 weeks, after this period no further oocysts are produced and the dog is no longer a risk to the herd…..http://www.checs.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/MO2480_NeosporaReport_v6_3001.pdf

To my knowledge my cattle have never had it although it is said it causes 10% of cattle abortions.  

Posters shouldn't  be too quick to blame dogs and start a witch hunt on dog walkers and the right to roam.

For the past 50 odd years I have owned at any one time 8/10 working dogs, had heaven knows how many visiting gun dogs in the season and varying packs of hounds over my land plus of course  foxes.

No witch hunt the private keep out sign is 50m from my high seat and the look of shock when they hear my whistle to get their attention is confused dot .com.The dogs off lead 10 times out of ten chase the Pheasants and Partridge from their nests and the dog pooh is clearly left for all to tread in .Lazy arrogance pure and simple the farmer has lambs and calves out and they are in fields with no footpaths but still they come.

Where public Footpaths are on parts of the farm the styles and gates have warning signs asking people to keep dogs on lead but these are ignored too .Despite warnings on the effects of sheep worrying ,disease etc atb

On 23/04/2018 at 17:03, turbo33 said:

I am so tempted to do that, set up my own BBQ, pick some of their fruit and let my dog run riot in the garden...........whilst proclaiming its my right to roam!!!

Maybe we could organise a 'Mass Tresspass' on THEIR land. Oh, hang on though, WE would be breaking the Law and probably lose our tickets  ?

I have had a problem on one farm, a footpath crosses 3 fields in a straight line, no problem there if people keep to the path but we have dog walkers who enter the first field, let the dogs off and walk the perimeter leaving poo everywhere. Picnickers who set up in the middle of the field for the view and flatten the grass. The worst was a group with grass sledges who pulled up in a minibus and offloaded about 8 kids and teachers who then sledged down the hill umpteen times just before it was due to be cut for sileage. The farmer allowed them to go after an apology, personally I would have confiscated the sledges and blocked in the minibus until damages were paid.