12 gauge moderator.

tignme

As above, atec offer a mod that screws into the choke threads. Think its called the a12.

Saddlery & gunroom will offer a fully moderated custom barrel to most guns but I believe there is feed issues with using subsonic cartridges with semi autos. Particularly as some of the gases are vented off in the barrel? They also offer an add on moderator too

Guest cookoff013
3 minutes ago, stuartyboy said:

As above, atec offer a mod that screws into the choke threads. Think its called the a12.

Saddlery & gunroom will offer a fully moderated custom barrel to most guns but I believe there is feed issues with using subsonic cartridges with semi autos. Particularly as some of the gases are vented off in the barrel? They also offer an add on moderator too

the issue is cycling. most subsonics are reduced amounts of powder burning very clean meaning minimal gas gets to the gas ports in a gas cycling gun. 

The atec extends about 3oomm at end of barrel. Way to costly. No thanks.

Ive emailed the saddlery for info.

Alan wood in the video uses a Beretta semi with the mod over the barrel and almost down to the fore end.Thats what I'm after.

Although they appear to be using subsonics I'm not intending to use them.I would be shooting steel for pigeons.

Ive attempted to get in touch with Tom Sykes for info.

I've come close to getting S&G put a mod on a 20 bore semi auto. They will do it, but of course won't guarantee it cycling. I think you would have to accept using normal shells rather than sub-sonics, but of course cycling the bolt manually would be no great hardship.

I think a gas operated would have the best chance of working. I've heard of a benelli m2 working but the moderator was custom made out of titanium to keep the weight low and the inertia action working. 

Having said that if you can find a 24" barrel for a semi the atec screw in moderator wouldn't be much longer than a hushpowered semi auto.

Edited by theshootist

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 18:24, tignme said:

The atec extends about 3oomm at end of barrel. Way to costly. No thanks.

Ive emailed the saddlery for info.

Alan wood in the video uses a Beretta semi with the mod over the barrel and almost down to the fore end.Thats what I'm after.

Although they appear to be using subsonics I'm not intending to use them.I would be shooting steel for pigeons.

Ive attempted to get in touch with Tom Sykes for info.

I don't think steel is a good idea through moderated guns. The thicker steel wads could block the ports etc.

On 24/04/2018 at 22:27, Ultrastu said:

Explaine to me why a mod on the end of a normal barrel on a sa. Could in any way effect the cycling of the cartridge. ? 

I'm referring to the "reflex" style hushpower moderators where the porting would usually start immediately after the forend. This can affect the gas pressure and duration of gas pressure which is tapped off. 

Alternatively with a recoil operated gun where the barrel moves, then altering the weight of the barrel will affect cycling. With an inertia gun where the cycle relies on the gun and bolt head moving backwards under recoil, altering the overall weight of the gun cam also throw the cycle out of balance.

9 hours ago, theshootist said:

I'm referring to the "reflex" style hushpower moderators where the porting would usually start immediately after the forend. This can affect the gas pressure and duration of gas pressure which is tapped off. 

Alternatively with a recoil operated gun where the barrel moves, then altering the weight of the barrel will affect cycling. With an inertia gun where the cycle relies on the gun and bolt head moving backwards under recoil, altering the overall weight of the gun cam also throw the cycle out of balance.

Use a Benelli or similar with inertia action, rules the gas -will it won't it out ?

23 minutes ago, maxwell said:

Use a Benelli or similar with inertia action, rules the gas -will it won't it out ?

Will that always be the case though? I thought that an inertia gun would be sensitive to extra weight. I read thats why the US military demanded a gas operated gun when selecting a new shotgun, anticipating bolting on torches etc.

Update on over the barrel moderator.

Ive spoken by email to Tom Sykes of Sykes Media, the guy who filmed the video.

He told me The Saddlery gun room made two customised mods for Alan Woods Beretta semi/autos.

Ive been in touch by Email with the Saddlery and yes they can make and fit a mod for my franchi affinity.

Downside for me is the mod is fixed to barrel so would need a spare barrel and possibly a spare forend.

£276.00 plus my delivery to them and return delivery to my RFD, plus RFDs cost,plus new barrel n forend puts it way out of the question.

I have two really good pigeon permissions but are noise sensitive hence the need for mod.

I get a premimum price for steel shot pigeons but would nee to shoot a big pile to even cover costs.

Oh BTW Tom and Alan were both shooting lead shot game shells in mod and supposedly the mod reduced the noise by 60%.

2 hours ago, tignme said:

He told me The Saddlery gun room made two customised mods for Alan Woods Beretta semi/autos.

Ive been in touch by Email with the Saddlery and yes they can make and fit a mod for my franchi affinity.

Downside for me is the mod is fixed to barrel so would need a spare barrel and possibly a spare forend.

£276.00 plus my delivery to them and return delivery to my RFD, plus RFDs cost,plus new barrel n forend puts it way out of the question.

I have two really good pigeon permissions but are noise sensitive hence the need for mod.

I get a premimum price for steel shot pigeons but would nee to shoot a big pile to even cover costs.

Oh BTW Tom and Alan were both shooting lead shot game shells in mod and supposedly the mod reduced the noise by 60%.

Hi ,

Just out of interest have S&G said the mods would be ok with steel shot as I assume they have plastic wads

2 hours ago, tignme said:

Tignme,

looking at what you wrote it would probably be worth you buying a 20 Hush pump for the job

Maxwell,I did not ask about steel but was intending using them anyway.

Ive had up to 12 shotguns in cabinet,im  now down to two that I shoot well with.

I have never shot a pump and have no intention of doing so.

Just now, tignme said:

Ive had up to 12 shotguns in cabinet,im  now down to two that I shoot well with.

Bsides very few outlets for 2o gauge steel.

All my shooting including clays is done with steel shot.

1 hour ago, tignme said:

Just trying to help with suggestions, as you mentioned the A12 and S&G options were to expensive.

the steel reference and question about wads was relating to your comment of shooting steel on pigeon.