decoying

welshwanderer

On 23/04/2018 at 19:51, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, you could also buy an old copy of this book, pigeon shooting by archie coats, 

or you could get the book by the famous Pakistani pigeon shooter .....Mh-hatmhcoat

i'll get me coat

On 4/23/2018 at 18:32, welshwanderer said:

hi, im new to decoying and rough shooting, i would like to gain some more in the field, any tips would be grateful 

where in uk are you WW,? or can we assume Wales?  BASC do basic pigeon shooting instruction days  

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

im in newport south wales, okay thank you very much i will have a look into that 

23 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

where in uk are you WW,? or can we assume Wales?  BASC do basic pigeon shooting instruction days  

im in newport south wales, okay thank you very much i will have a look into that 

On 28/04/2018 at 06:20, Konnie said:

You never stop learning about pigeon shooting, wild animals are unpredictable, fieldcraft and knowledge help a lot to increase your chances of a good outing just enjoy every outing and start 

This.. 

Was crow decoying today and had a left n right pigeon decoy in to look, they didn't leave. 

WW best thing to do is get out and enjoy it, you will pick up things as you go, decoying using a horse shoe pattern gives the birds a runway to land in. A little movement is good for pigeon, so shells on spring rods so wind catches them, a flapper/magnet can come in handy. 

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 18:32, welshwanderer said:

hi, im new to decoying and rough shooting, i would like to gain some more in the field, any tips would be grateful 

There isn't really an easy answer , first of all you need land to shoot over before you go out and buy all the gear you could use on a days pigeon shooting . then its a matter of time spent in the field and I mean a lot of it , next its a case of learning by your mistakes , even the guys on here who post large bags still make them , so I imagine you will make quite a few , one short cut is to try and go with someone who know a bit about the game and pick up a few tips .

A dog is a good companion when you are decoying and I would say it is a must if you are thinking taking up rough shooting ,  try and join a rough shooting syndicate near you , if you don't know of any then put where you live and one of the members might know of one needing a new member .

GOOD LUCK.

Thing about pigeon shooting is, just when you think you've nailed it, you get a day where you sit in your hide for 4 hours and every passing bird puts up two tail fathers at you as they depart for pastures else where, Yes OK it happened to me two weeks ago, 3 days earlier I had 25 in a couple of hours in the next field over, just goes to show, 

I like summer decoying, warm sun,cool breeze, pigeons floating in , usually in 2's and 3's, one of my favourites is finding the holes in rape fields in flower, patches where plants are stunted due to pigeon damage in the winter and are very slow to recover, if at all, all you need is a couple of floaters with a good magnet set well out, then half a dozen decoys, preferably dead birds in the hole, its like shooting fish in a barrel , out yesterday and took 17 in 2.1/2 hours, only lost 2 in the rape and I dont have a dog to find them for me.

If you want to learn how to decoy pigeons just get some basic's and get out there, trial and error, lots and lots of error, but its amazing how fast you learn, good luck.:yahoo::yahoo::/

• 2 weeks later...