The Game fair - Ragley Hall

CThomas

6 minutes ago, oowee said:

Nice report. Any bargains to be had? New kit worth a look? 

Off there on Sunday. 

I cannot report I saw bargains (or new), but I wasn't really looking for any kit.  I've spent a lifetime acquiring kit, and tried to buy good quality, so generally, the kit I now have should see me out.  I also don't generally like to buy if I have to carry it a long way on a (very) hot day.  In fairness, my car wasn't far from the gate, but the fair is not small.

12 hours ago, oowee said:

Nice report. Any bargains to be had? New kit worth a look? 

Off there on Sunday. 

I didn't see any real bargains to be honest. But I guess if you're looking for something specific and its down at the right price. I had some ear moulds done picked up a stoney creek top and a new dog lead, didnt have anything else in mind that i really needed. Had good day out with a couple mates which is what its all about. As said the basc free ticket made it worth it. £34 on the gate is not cheap... 

Edited by ShootingEgg

The weather was minging this afternoon! The missus and kids quickly lost interest. Picked up a field knife set and a reground steaking knife for pretty cheap. Loads of stalls so I imagine there were more bargains to be had - but all the clothes I looked at were full price. The usual decoy traders were there but looked like stock was starting to run low. Massive queue for the CPSA gun line, the BASC gun line seemed to be less busy. On balance, had the weather held and we'd made the most of it then it would have been a great day out, if you're on the fence then given the forecast for tomorrow...it might not be worth it! 

Edited by Tom O
Typos

1 hour ago, Tom O said:

The weather was minging this afternoon! The missus and kids quickly lost interest. Picked up a field knife set and a reground steaking knife for pretty cheap. Loads of stalls so I imagine there were more bargains to be had - but all the clothes I looked at were full price. The usual decoy traders were there but looked like stock was starting to run low. Massive queue for the CPSA gun line, the BASC gun line seemed to be less busy. On balance, had the weather held and we'd made the most of it then it would have been a great day out, if you're on the fence then given the forecast for tomorrow...it might not be worth it! 

I'm going tomorrow solely because I've already purchased tickets for the wife & kids and we've got accommodation booked for the night.

The decision is over which motor to take so can anyone tell me what the parking & exits are like? Is it likely to be a 4x4 jobby if we get the rain that is Forecast?

Edited by decoy1979

Whilst it wazzed it down for a good part of the afternoon, the parking areas weren't too slippery and the traffic merged well at around 5 when we left - took us around 20 minutes to get out which I didn't think too bad as I've experienced far worse at other events.

We enjoyed the day but you make of it what you want - there's plenty to look at and everyone's friendly and helpful but as is said above, the food is extortionately priced.

There were some clothing bargains but overall, these didn't seem as keenly priced as last year.

I'd still recommend going as a day out is better than a day in but the weather can make or break it - some were saying it's likely to be very heavy rain tomorrow and persistently so rather than on-off as it was at times today. 

We attended on Friday and I must say it's probably one of the most well layed out, well signposted and well organised one that I have ever been to. The whole site was being constantly cleared of any litter, not that much was dropped. The loos were constantly being cleaned and the overall organisation could not be faulted. Entrance and exit was without delay.

Friday was probably the least busy of the three days but there was plenty of room to get around. Announcements made all the time as to what events were happening where.

There were bargains to be had if one looked.

The Shooting Times, Shooting Gazette and Sporting Gun stands were all rolled into one and were absolutely pathetic with barely room to swing a cat.Only three girls in attendance, one from each magazine selling subscriptions. No doubt a result of financial restraints imposed by the new publishers Epiris, trading as TI Media Ltd. A name dreamed up to fool people that it's the same company. Is it just me, or does the new editor of ST appear to be not long out of short trousers ? I think that someone somewhat disparagingly commented that he was on work experience from school ! However, it should be noted that since becoming editor, he has progressed (if it can be called that) from shooting with a second Beretta and driving an old Jimny, to now shooting with an upmarket Blaser and driving a Porsche. Must be money in this publishing lark for some.

I know that due to the changes, many contributors have been given a 'take it or leave it' reduced fee option. Many changes ahead methinks. 

Having got that off my chest, the gun dogs were great, gunmakers row pretty well attended, so all in all, along with free entry courtesy of BASC I think that the show was a huge success and well worth attending. We thoroughly enjoyed it. Cannot wait for next year, if I'm spared, as it's a lot closer to home.

OB

Myself and Ade1971 attended yesterday. We got there around 9am and started our day by just wandering around looking to see what was there. Later, our main focus was Gunmakers Row/s, as there were a few spread out. Usually, I've found them to be on either side of each other, but this time, they were also situated in other areas too. We bought a few items there, including the new Solaris S.R.X. ir torch which will be put to test shortly. Loads of food stalls there, but prices were not cheap. We did have a little difficulty finding our way around, despite the showground maps that were placed around the site. It would have been easier if I had purchased a show guide on the way in, but at £8:00, for something that was 95% advertising, I didn't bother. The weather was dry up until 3pm, then is lashed down. But by then, we were more or less ready to return home.

All in all, a good day out with good company -thanks Ade, but had it not been for the free BASC members entry, I would not have attended. The show is back at Ragley Hall in 2020, so hopefully, another visit is on the cards.

54 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Myself and Ade1971 attended yesterday. We got there around 9am and started our day by just wandering around looking to see what was there. Later, our main focus was Gunmakers Row/s, as there were a few spread out. Usually, I've found them to be on either side of each other, but this time, they were also situated in other areas too. We bought a few items there, including the new Solaris S.R.X. ir torch which will be put to test shortly. Loads of food stalls there, but prices were not cheap. We did have a little difficulty finding our way around, despite the showground maps that were placed around the site. It would have been easier if I had purchased a show guide on the way in, but at £8:00, for something that was 95% advertising, I didn't bother. The weather was dry up until 3pm, then is lashed down. But by then, we were more or less ready to return home.

All in all, a good day out with good company -thanks Ade, but had it not been for the free BASC members entry, I would not have attended. The show is back at Ragley Hall in 2020, so hopefully, another visit is on the cards.

hello steve, would be interested to see how the SRX goes steve, compared to your other I/R torch/s, but why the case!!!!!!