Putting in drains

Lloyd90

Has anyone put in a drain for kennels? 

Want to get a kennel and run up in th garden before new pup comes, there is a drain pipe down the back of the house that collects rain water off the house, would I be able to run it into this or not? 

Even if I can will it be on enough of a slope to drain the water away? I will measure the distance from the back of the house to the back of the garden in a bit but it’s not a huge garden, approx 5m. Currently mostly laid to slabs so I assume those would need to be lifted and have a trench dug down for the pipe? 

Unfortunately the only rear access is through the house so likely need to be dug by hand :/ 

You will need to tie into your underground drainage/waste pipe, this will entail putting in a tee piece, so enough acces to cut and place it etc, if you are putting a concrete base in the kennel, it might just be easier to put a drain/drop pipe in a corner to use as a soak away into the soil.

You don’t put waste water down with rain water .they go to different drains in the ground .put the drain you want to put in and tee in to the one the toilet /sink / bath goes in to 

For my kennels I dropped a water storage tank in the ground with a submersible pump and float switch, then 25mm alkathene pipe to septic tank via kitchen gulley. Has worked fine for 14 years with one pump replacement . The pipe run is about 30yards and buried 6" under lawn and yard  

Andy

I'dagree with lori above too, esp if only for 1 /2 dogs.

Wether a soak away will work might depend on the soil type and how it drains.

It will also depend on the age of ur house wether the sewerage and rain water are seperate systems or not, in the past it all went into the same pipe.

Where does the water go/run off ur slabs when it rains? Even if u roof ur kennel its really no different to the rain falling on the slabs and needing to drain somewhere, the only extra water will be when u hose the run down. And if the pup/dog is out fairly regularly most would rather not dirty there kennel if they can help it

• 2 weeks later...

Change of situation, moving a water butt and I can place the kennel next to the house, and the run is right next to the water pipe.

I intend to take the dog out several times a day and have it in the house, so imagine it won’t use the run for the toilet but if it does and all solids are picked up can I just hose down the run and have it going into the roof water pipe?