Selling a car - we purchase any vehicle etc etc

lord_seagrave

Morning chaps,

I’ve bought another car and need to get rid of the old one. Its got a slight misfire, and isn’t really worth anything, so I just want rid of it, without any hassle.

Since I don’t often buy and sell vehicles, what’s the easiest way of getting it collected, legitimately? If I can make a few quid, so much the better, but I want as little fuss as possible.

I would go to a famous car buying website, but I wondered if there is a better option (I’m in Milton Keynes)

LS

Depends how little you will accept and what the market is doing at the moment.

You can get it taken away by any of the large salvage companies who were very efficient when I dealt with them.

Just remembered their name, ASM they are in Aylesbury so not that far from you - you will most likely only get £70 or so.

You could drop it off at your local general auction , we have one near us where a few cars are in there every week , viewing day is the day before the auction and everything is sold as seen , so you could put it in with no reserve and take a chance what it sell for , if it is a non runner then ring up one of the salvage companies who will pay you scrap value .

2 minutes ago, lord_seagrave said:

55 plate Megane. Been quoted £300 to fix the misfiring, but it can’t be worth as much as that once fixed.

It’s surplus to requirements, and has a couple of electrical glitches too.

Thanks for the replies so far. If I can get a ton for it, it’s worth it, I reckon.

LS

Stick it on gumtree, a local polish chap will be round to buy it in minutes! 

5 minutes ago, lord_seagrave said:

55 plate Megane. Been quoted £300 to fix the misfiring, but it can’t be worth as much as that once fixed.

It’s surplus to requirements, and has a couple of electrical glitches too.

Thanks for the replies so far. If I can get a ton for it, it’s worth it, I reckon.

LS

Could just be coil packs, no where near £300 worth, I think breakers or gumtree.

1 minute ago, krugerandsmith said:

I remember some years back selling my unroadworthy car to a scrapyard only to see it a week later being used as a Taxi.

Yes indeed, happens a lot.

19 minutes ago, krugerandsmith said:

I remember some years back selling my unroadworthy car to a scrapyard only to see it a week later being used as a Taxi.

They can't do that now as they have to give you a certificate of destruction.

Edited. Not strictly true, but the main recyclers do.

Edited by walshie

From experience if it has alloys they will give you more, but the market goes up and down all the time depending on  current demand for metals it seems.

ASM do all the paperwork so you don't have concerns about being picked in your old scrap car a month later

When I scrapped our car the truck was full of what you would traditionally refer to as new'ish cars.

When I asked the driver he said the same, it seems one potential garage bill and they are scrapped, I guess there has to be a market there making one from two or fixing the issue for less if you are handy with cars.

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

If you have space take it apart and sell all the parts separate 

Not a good idea any more as you can’t self scrap a vehicle like you used to be able to. Your vehicle needs to go to an authorised agent who can scrap it for you and not many will take in just a bare shell as there’s not much money in it.

3 hours ago, Harnser said:

It will make at least £200 at auction with a short mot or £ 300 with a long mot . If you lived near me I would have given you £100 for it and drove to the auction .

harnser  

If L / S could have driven it to the auction that might have been the best bet , he wouldn't have got a fortune but there wouldn't have been any comebacks , the buyer could have had a good look on the viewing day and heard it running when it came up for sale and then he / she buy as seen , they cant take it until it paid for and you can pick your money up the following day .