Hushpower club

mellors

Looks the business. Looks like you had raise the comb. Looking at various posts it appears they shoot low. Have only used mine twice so far. I seen a lot of conflicting information this is why I think sub forum would benefit all. 

I'm interested in the hushpowers.

I owned the 12 bore mossy years ago and sold it. Was a great tool but never got on with it that well. More down to me though tbh.

Then I had the 410 Pedretti which was good too.

Now I'm interested in getting the 20 bore over under hushpower.

Just looking at the option of home loading ammo for it and sourcing data (big thanks to sitinhedges for his help)

3 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

How you getting on with yours so far .? 

Any thing i can help with ? 

Had it out this morning on some drilling. Have been using 28g fiocchi I was given with the gun they seem to do the job. Tried the eley hushpower today had a dozen for 17shots but I think thirty yards is enough for them. I'm very impressed with noise reduction with normal loads. The whole point of buying it was the noise issue. I've noticed It's not scaring birds anywhere near as much. Have had birds come in directly after one is down. 

Regards the hushpower loads they are extremely quite. But I think more practice needed 

I haven't noticed I'm missing an awful lot so having read they shoot low (maybe not). 

Looking at home loading at the moment regarding cost and how much it will be used. Looking around £200 a thousand plus machine and time. 

Would highly recommend this investarm 20g. Looking forward to getting out again tomorrow. 

Have been told 24g 7.5 is OK for decoying so I'm going to pick a couple of boxes up in the morning see how they go. 

Any tips would be appreciated. 

1 hour ago, mellors said:

Had it out this morning on some drilling. Have been using 28g fiocchi I was given with the gun they seem to do the job. Tried the eley hushpower today had a dozen for 17shots but I think thirty yards is enough for them. I'm very impressed with noise reduction with normal loads. The whole point of buying it was the noise issue. I've noticed It's not scaring birds anywhere near as much. Have had birds come in directly after one is down. 

Regards the hushpower loads they are extremely quite. But I think more practice needed 

I haven't noticed I'm missing an awful lot so having read they shoot low (maybe not). 

Looking at home loading at the moment regarding cost and how much it will be used. Looking around £200 a thousand plus machine and time. 

Would highly recommend this investarm 20g. Looking forward to getting out again tomorrow. 

Have been told 24g 7.5 is OK for decoying so I'm going to pick a couple of boxes up in the morning see how they go. 

Any tips would be appreciated. 

Yes, 24gm 7.5 are fine for decoying.

I'm very interested in what cartridges people are using through their hushpowers for quietness and effectiveness on crows, squirrels etc?

I'm looking at home loading too but not seeing how it can be that much of a saving per thousand? I've worked out a cost of about £275 per thousand using Clay&Game prices for components (inc reusing cases 3 or 4 times)?

I'm new to the concept of reloading so possibly mistaken when working out costing. Realise there's more benefits to reloading than just cost saving though.

20 minutes ago, stuartyboy said:

I'm very interested in what cartridges people are using through their hushpowers for quietness and effectiveness on crows, squirrels etc?

I'm looking at home loading too but not seeing how it can be that much of a saving per thousand? I've worked out a cost of about £275 per thousand using Clay&Game prices for components (inc reusing cases 3 or 4 times)?

I'm new to the concept of reloading so possibly mistaken when working out costing. Realise there's more benefits to reloading than just cost saving though.

What gauge?

I use in my 20b hush

Gamebore black gold .32 grm no5  (loudest ) 

Nsi master .32 grm no6 .(bit quieter )

Gamebore regal .28 grm no6 .(same as above .)

Nsi sipe .28 grm no6 (same above)

They basically all sound the same at 50 yds. The black gold punch a bit harder in the shoulder and hit the crows hard too And are a touch louder at the gun ..just find a cart thats cheap enough and cycles well in your gun (nsi and gb.for me ) and enjoy. 

I also shoot ..410 hushers too .and the best cart for me by miles is the gamebore 16 grm no6 .

Best compromise between cost .sound and kill ability .ie the cost the least 

Kill the best. And are the second quietest ive shot .

i reload  70mm 20gauge for my hushpower using 13grains of AS powder 28gram of no 5 shot  in B&P Z-19 plastic wad  with 8 star crimp they give 1000fps on the chrono.

got a good stock of Vectan AS powder but its gone thru the roof in price now ,bought in at £19 1/2 kg now its £34.80 1/2kg after 12months.

will have to look at  working up a load using Maxam CSB5 powder   when it runs out.

tried some stock clay cartridges eley CT   7.5 s they were quiet and showing less than 1000 fps average on the chrono.

there is a good reduction in noise  compared to standard game loads on my mossberg pump 20G

i would imagine the full length over and under  20 gauge hushpower would be less fussy.

Edited by Remimax

14 hours ago, Remimax said:

i reload  70mm 20gauge for my hushpower using 13grains of AS powder 28gram of no 5 shot  in B&P Z-19 plastic wad  with 8 star crimp they give 1000fps on the chrono.

got a good stock of Vectan AS powder but its gone thru the roof in price now ,bought in at £19 1/2 kg now its £34.80 1/2kg after 12months.

will have to look at  working up a load using Maxam CSB5 powder   when it runs out.

tried some stock clay cartridges eley CT   7.5 s they were quiet and showing less than 1000 fps average on the chrono.

there is a good reduction in noise  compared to standard game loads on my mossberg pump 20G

i would imagine the full length over and under  20 gauge hushpower would be less fussy.

Have you had any issue using plastic wads catching the baffles in the mod? it was suggested fibre only for this reason.

i chrono'd a dozen CT 24g 7.5's and they averaged 1000 f/s over the F1

my load for the O/U 20 Hush is

65mm case
Cheddite cx2000
14.2gr Maxam CSB5
14mm fibre wad
3 mm nitro card
6 star crimp
1000fps 28g #6

5 hours ago, maxwell said:

Have you had any issue using plastic wads catching the baffles in the mod? it was suggested fibre only for this reason.

i chrono'd a dozen CT 24g 7.5's and they averaged 1000 f/s over the F1

my load for the O/U 20 Hush is

65mm case
Cheddite cx2000
14.2gr Maxam CSB5
14mm fibre wad
3 mm nitro card
6 star crimp
1000fps 28g #6

no  prob with plastic wads ,my hushpower pump is the york guns stealth copy ,it does not have a baffle stack which look like a row of spaced washers like in the first hushpower.

think it states on the site you can use plastic wads in them.

it looks identical to the removable baffle on the newer  hushpower units .

think the 20g hushpower OU has a similar setup.

thanks for sharing load data on the maxam CSBS powder as it has a sensible price at the moment.

looks like the CT 24g could be a good cheap option for close decoy work.

Edited by Remimax

13 hours ago, cookoff013 said:

my subsonic 12bore loads use 13.8ish grains of ba10.

the fastest powder i`ve ever used.

pistol powder doesn;t get any faster , bet them  loads are really clean burnng.

not a lot of powder that for a 12g sub ideal.

Edited by Remimax

Guest cookoff013

yeah, absolutely. 

also (roughshooter ) developed a 21g subsonic load, and it can get 1oz of lead 1300fps at only 15 grain. 

now that is pure efficiency right there.

sadly the downside is, it costs an absolute fortune.