Just started drilling

Old Boggy

I`ve just looked out of my back window and pleased to see that my farmer friend has just this minute started drilling. Maize is going in, but is a relatively new crop around here and being used in anaerobic digesters for bio-fuel. I`ve never shot over it at drilling time, only harvest. I will obviously keep an eye out but have never previously seen much left on the surface.This particular farmer has all very modern equipment so the drill is very efficient, but I will look to the headlands for any spillage.

What success have others had on this crop when drilled ?

Many thanks,

OB

8 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

I`ve just looked out of my back window and pleased to see that my farmer friend has just this minute started drilling. Maize is going in, but is a relatively new crop around here and being used in anaerobic digesters for bio-fuel. I`ve never shot over it at drilling time, only harvest. I will obviously keep an eye out but have never previously seen much left on the surface.This particular farmer has all very modern equipment so the drill is very efficient, but I will look to the headlands for any spillage.

Many thanks,

OB

Never done a lot of good on freshly drilled maize , the pigeons I had shot could have been eaten what was in the previous crop rather than any spilled maize .

Worth keeping your eye on it when its a few inches above ground , I have always done better on a maize game cover strip , rather than a whole field of commercial crop , have you found the same ?

On 24 April 2018 at 09:30, Old Boggy said:

Many thanks,

OB

Have kept an eye on the drilled maize field at all times of the day for the last few days and nowt but a very few crows in evidence. However, part of the field is on a reasonably strong flightline so was wondering if I set up immediately under the flightline (does vary with differing wind conditions and sometimes on a broad front) whether they would decoy, as the decoys would show up well on the drilling. Might be a complete waste of time but at least it would get me out for a couple of hours after what seems a long few of weeks inactivity with the gun. Some will say follow the flightline to where they ARE feeding but this appears to be well off my immediate shooting area. Probably need a brisk wind to get them flying lower.

OB

For the majority of us we are now entering the quietest time of the year when it comes to shooting pigeons , so anything ( within reason ) is worth trying , as already reported , drilled Maize is not the best of drillings for pigeon shooting , although that's not to say you cant shoot pigeons off , if you have got a large tree where a few pigeons like spending a bit of time on the boundary hedge then with the right wind conditions and a good spread of decoys you might get a bit of sport , you can also try the same method on drilled sugar beet , at least your decoys stand out and its not to bad sitting about in the weather conditions , well worth trying and like you say , it get you out for a couple of hours . GOOD LUCK.

it does not take long for us all to start climbing the wall's when we cannot get out , what with the weather , and people who only have weekend's to shoot but as said above , grabbing any amount of time in the field is better than nothing at all, just got to keep cruising around to find that little something it's out there some where , I will make a sacrifice to the pigeon god , for the future he's hoping .