Police vehicle auctions

scotslad

Alright

Just wondering if any/many on here know mch about the motor trade or buying a motor that is stolen/revcovered from an insurance write of site?

I've bought a couple of cat D's over the years and fixed them myself althou not to a professional standard but fine for a work/shooting bus.

Was looking at quite a nice wee van really low mileage for age and looks relatively tidy, unfortunately the wrong end of the country (as usual) so would be a bit of a gamble (as buying any 2nd hand motor is).

But when u type in the reg no to MOT checker it has not had an mot since sept 14 which expired sept 15. The miles does tend to tally with previous mot's.

Could it be it has been sitting in the back of some car lot for the past 2 1/2 years? Possibly for evidence??

Or some toe rag has stolen it and been driving about in it? But that doesn't really tally with the miles as they would of had the 'correct' the mileage to wot it should be just before the police found it again. (around 5-7K a year0

So is that a normal sort of times scale  for a stolem recovered car to be turned about? (my last ins motor had 10 months mot left on it, but was just body work damage) and if so is it a bad thing for a motor to be sitting about in some car lot for 2 years?

Meant to post this a couple of days ago, as it turns out its going for quite strong money (well esp when u add the vat, buyers fees and delivery), stronger than i'd like to gamble blind, esp with the MOT question mark but just wondering wot more experienced/knowledgable folk think for the future.

Might be worth it if i could off got along an see the motor.

I've bid and lost a few over the years and when u speak to the blokes at the yard it seems to be quite uncommon for folk to actually come out and inspect them, think a lot of folk get carried away clicking a button, i know some have went for way way more than i'd like to pay for them as ruff as anything infact a few i wouldn't touch with a barge pole have made decent money

Edited by scotslad