Stalking experience

jason g

Hi all just wondering if anyone has done a deer stalking experience and if so what is the cost. It's something I'd like to have a go at and tick off my bucket list. As my missus says if I see it I have to have a go. also falconry hunting with birds is something I'd like to have a go at any suggestions would be much appreciated thanks

Get onto a game letting agency and make enquiries for Stags in Scotland. Go for a package, which can be living in a local hotel for a couple of day and a day or two stalking on the chosen estate, or could be living in the kings suite in the estate castle full board for your entire entourage including family pets, with any number of days and stags. There's basically all sorts of deals to suit the purse of all sorts of individuals. 

A stag is about £500 + tips + commission, add in accommodation travel etc. I'd reckon you could get a back end day or two, depending on the location, at the stags for around £1200 all in, which would include decent family accommodation to make a quality short family break out of it.

Ask round the agents.  

Try Jason at muntjacstalker . Com (based at church warden near Woburn)

I found him to be very competitively priced and I done my first stalk last sept. He’s very honest, knows his quarry, and although he can’t promise the numbers on the ground mean it’s almost a guarantee youll shoot something. I saw maybe 20ish! He also kindly gralloched, skinned and quartered it for me at his (was staying in the local centreparcs for a break with the wee one at the time)

I now have done the dsc1, have a 6.5x55, have my own deer permission (roe), joint a syndicate (fallow) and shoot with a friend on his permission (fallow).

Damn bloke has cost me a lot of time and money! ? be warned the one off may not be a one off very long!!

Edited by Tford

7 minutes ago, jason g said:

I'l have a look thanks for the info ?

No worries. He’s on the stalking directory if it helps. I was recommended from others on here to there, and he was kind enough to take me out before his usual season. Muntjac are definitely the cheapest option if you just want to try stalking rather than the full highlands type experience... plus it was stalking on foot rather than high seat (always my preference)

it is... just remembered after viewing his webpage... he didn’t charge me for the estate rifle and he didnt require me to have my own shooting insurance at the time (I do now).

After a chat he didn’t want to waste time in me proving my marksmanship either before heading out (I had used centrefire a lot before for fox though). I suspect he could have dropped me on one within minutes of arriving but definitely made me work for it.  one even walked across his lawn whilst we had coffee before heading out. 

All in all he was a sound chap. Definitely would use him again for muntie or Chinese water deer stalking. 

Id be interested to know how you get on... may go back next year for a Chinese water deer. 

Edited by Tford

Falconry sounds similar to stalking from reading your replies, i did a falconry experience years ago in Scotland probably 6 of us paying £100 a pop lots of talk and not much going on.

I asked if we were going to fly a hawk at pheasant as they were everywhere, o no that would cost us money? It was supposed to be a hunting experience but we ended up by a massive old rabbit warren me five townies and the fella in charge of the Harris hawks who wasn't really interested. We saw two bunnies bolt with the hawks missing.

I had another session with a local guy for my 40th, that was just an experience not hunting but it was loads better, I've always been a hawk fan but seeing him flying his falcon to the lure!! Just wow.

check what your getting for your money or have a google for local groups, you may just be able to go along and see what happens?