Does a 223 need a scope with an AO functionality?

zebadee73

I am thinking of getting a 223 and I was wondering whether it was better to buy a scope with AO or not.

My hmr has side AO which I find very useful for head shots on rabbits esp using night vision, the .223 will be for foxing and body shots are the aim there.

Any views on getting a good scope without AO or a medium good scope with AO?

21 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Yes. Adjustable Objective.

Side parallax  does the same thing of course, and may be better on an NV setup when it comes to making 'on the fly' adjustments.

AO usually refers to the adjustment on the objective end, sorry for being picky :)

11 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Side parallax  does the same thing of course, and may be better on an NV setup when it comes to making 'on the fly' adjustments.

AO usually refers to the adjustment on the objective end, sorry for being picky :)

No problem. I agree that side parallax is easier and quicker to adjust, especially if using a NV add on. But, you can still use an AO scope to adjust parallax, as I have done with my NV add on. I answered the question that cardigun asked. :good:

11 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

No problem. I agree that side parallax is easier and quicker to adjust, especially if using a NV add on. But, you can still use an AO scope to adjust parallax, as I have done with my NV add on. I answered the question that cardigun asked. :good:

:good:

All my scopes are adjustable and the majority side adjustable.

I shoot in a lot of different environments and that suits me, frankly that works for most people, but fixed scopes still have their uses/advantages, but only you can really decide which way to go!