Medical certificates for 5 year driving licences

Dave-G

A BMW driver  has gone tonto so that's it then. Prospective driving licence applicants should now have to undergo medical examinations regarding their sanity and send a doctors report and two referees who have known them for at least two years in with the application. Assuming MI5 then find no reason to withold a licence it shall be granted for a period of five years. It is not yet clear if the driver held a driving licence. ;) 

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/south-quays-dublin-crash-14572801

Edited by Dave-G

5 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Oh, you do make I laugh 

? When I was interviewed on local radio ( BBC Radio Cumbria ) following the Dunblane shootings, I made the suggestion that it was possible to wipe out a significant number of people by driving into them with a vehicle, and was ridiculed by fellow interviewees as a result. 

I wonder how many have been killed in such a deliberate manner since. 

Edited by Scully

Yep! Even with motor vehicles being routinely used by terrorists and nutters as a weapon to kill innocent people..........We don't hear any calls for all motorists to pay GP's for a medical/suitability report and if they don't agree and pay they will not get a driving licence! And we don't hear of drivers having their licences revoked on conviction of any non driving related criminal offences!

Its about time this inequitable anomaly was tested in the courts, how about it BASC?

I'm not a very good wordsmith so this post might sound a bit rough round the edges:

Murder by vehicle has of course been done occasionally for years at a specific target person but it's now become more of a problem in that terrorists can so easily make their way to this country and use their driving licence to buy, hire or even steal an implement that can be used to kill or injure many people at one time. Its not an easy topic to address but if the doctors reports we have to undergo are done as a public safety agenda why aren't our police calling for more stringent entry requirements for immigrants - and who would not be paying for that?

I now realise the subject can't really be discussed without a certain amount of controversy - but its not intended to be another BASC bashing platform. If it develops into one I'll request it gets locked.