Gun cabinet problems

ppaynter

I have recently moved to a new apartment, it’s on the top floor but it’s a new build and all the walls are **** metal stud and plaster board, 

i have currently fixed the 6 gun cabinet into a double cupboard with the grip it plaster board fixings they are rated at 113kg each I have used for of them and cut the skirting out as well now the cabinet doesn’t move one bit but the wall on the other hand moves, 

im not really happy with it and running out of ideas 

regards Phil 

Are you able to fix a sheet of plywood on the wall fixed to the studwork then screw the cabinet to the ply. 

I have designed kitchen and load bearing timber stud walls in a similar way just the ply goes on the studs first and then plasterboard to finish. This method gives a very good fixing for kitchen cabinets.

What is beyond the plasterboard? If you can't cut a hole in the plasterboard to get to the solid wall (like literally the outline of the cabinet and have it partially inside the wall), there are fixings such as Rigi-fix which bridge the gap between the plasterboard and solid wall with a steel shank. The biggest ones are rated for a 280kg load each.

sounds to me as you are trying to fix the cabinet to a interior wall and not exterior.

to maximise the strength of install you need to fix it to a exterior wall,  surely  Your apartment is made of brick, concrete or heavy timber?

On 25/4/2018 at 14:18, ppaynter said:

I have recently moved to a new apartment, it’s on the top floor but it’s a new build and all the walls are **** metal stud and plaster board, 

i have currently fixed the 6 gun cabinet into a double cupboard with the grip it plaster board fixings they are rated at 113kg each I have used for of them and cut the skirting out as well now the cabinet doesn’t move one bit but the wall on the other hand moves, 

im not really happy with it and running out of ideas 

regards Phil 

I moved into a Park Home a couple of years ago so no brick walls either. What i did was to fix a sheet of 19mm marine ply to an interior wall and screwed the cabinet to it. My feo was satisfied that it was secure. Plenty of bearing surface area with the ply and it's as solid as a rock.

HTH.

+ 1 for the puting a board behind it . Was in same boat as your self with plaster board everywhere . Stuck the board to the wall then bolted the cabinet thought the board . The guy that came out to sort my sgc Was more than happy with it 

Edited by Doitwithstyle

just a thought have you bought the apartment or rented it? because if you have rented it you will need permission from your landlord on most tenancy agreements. Even if you have bought the lease  before you start bolting sheets of plywood and making holes it might be worth trying to contact the builder of freeholder to work out where something structural might be it might save you a lot of time and perhaps future hassle . It is far from easy in your situation but hope you get it sorted ok.

On 25/04/2018 at 15:36, telf said:

Not much help im afraid , but does it not state cabinets are to be fixed to brick ,concrete  or externall walls , cant really remember as its that long since mine was fitted 

No. my house doesn't have a brick or concrete wall or floor in it! All wood. Just need to be secure!