BASC statement on Home Office proposals

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David - thanks for the update. I am a little bit surprised that the view is for political action rather than legal action. It does not bode well for the awaited advice on the medical charges. I believe the Police have gone outside their legal remit and that is a legal matter.

30 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

David - thanks for the update. I am a little bit surprised that the view is for political action rather than legal action. It does not bode well for the awaited advice on the medical charges. I believe the Police have gone outside their legal remit and that is a legal matter.

I am also surprised. Can we have sight of the legal advice? I can understand the preference for political action but i would have thought that it was sensible to use the two together. A legal challenge shows the seriousness that we attach to the issue and must surely encourage a better outcome from a negotiated settlement?

Reading between the lines there is no clear legal route without avoiding a costly dispute st this stage until such time as the decision is made and it can then be challenged, not much more BASC can do YET, the real work will be done when the decision is formulated.  I hope is costs do increase and medical is necessary then at worst BASC can negotiate service level agreements with issuing forces and 10 year licences as have been muted in the past...

So it seems we are to be left in a no man's land for a few years. Forces will continue to make up their own rules. Doctors will make up their own prices. Anti shooting doctors will cost people their certificates. And basc along with the other voices of shooting will continue to admire their bank balances. 

Oh dear, another way to get at us.Without a price guide doctors could charge what they like and what with the price of the license some shooters will not be able to afford the renewal.BASC must use all avenues to make sure we the law abiding public do not lose out again.

It's surely in the interest of BASC and other shooting associations to act positively and quickly on these issues.

If shooters give up due to licencing problems or costs they are hardly likely to continue paying membership subs. BASC and the like have got a lot to loose financially if they don't get a grip on things. No members = no income = no organisations.

7 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Basc has had 5yrs to go all political over this, & 2yrs in Scotland.....

So have other shooting and countryside organisations; but I don't see any evidence of them picking up the baton.

Maybe they are happy to let BASC run with it and take any flak. whilst they avoid the cost of attempting to protect their members interests.

BASC is not perfect, but I believe that it is the best that we've got by far.

It's time for all shooters to get behind BASC; if you are not a member, please stop free riding and JOIN BASC NOW!

webber

2 hours ago, webber said:

So have other shooting and countryside organisations; but I don't see any evidence of them picking up the baton.

Maybe they are happy to let BASC run with it and take any flak. whilst they avoid the cost of attempting to protect their members interests.

It's time for all shooters to get behind BASC; if you are not a member, please stop free riding and JOIN BASC NOW!

webber

I take exception to that; I’m not ‘free riding’ at all. I was a BASC member for many years and found them wanting, so took my money elsewhere, which everyone is entitled to do. 

Despite what BASC claim to be doing, I can guarantee we will end up with a compulsory GP’s report as part of the application/renewal process. It isn’t a case of money. 

15 minutes ago, Scully said:

I take exception to that; I’m not ‘free riding’ at all. I was a BASC member for many years and found them wanting, so took my money elsewhere, which everyone is entitled to do. 

Despite what BASC claim to be doing, I can guarantee we will end up with a compulsory GP’s report as part of the application/renewal process. It isn’t a case of money. 

You maybe right but the guarantee that we will 'end up with a compulsory GP's report' must surely be more certain with no action being taken. 

Guest stevo
30 minutes ago, oowee said:

You maybe right but the guarantee that we will 'end up with a compulsory GP's report' must surely be more certain with no action being taken. 

And maybe the chances of us not being here right now would have been increased if they got off there backsides 5 yrs ago .....

Guest stevo
5 hours ago, webber said:

webber

I too find this comment a bit of an insult.  

I take it when you open the gates for your clay shoot on a Sunday morning you check to make sure all of your patrons and guests have the relevant insurance and belong to the correct shooting org ? After all you wouldnt want ANYONE free riding or shooting on your ground exemption cert/insurance would you. Or is it different if there paying you ? 

Edited by stevo

50 minutes ago, oowee said:

Precisely what action has been taken?

As I’ve stated before; I was involved in a long conversation with a senior BASC rep’ when GP’s reports were first mooted some years ago. And again, for the hard of hearing, I asked what were BASC doing about it. I was told compulsory GP’s reports ‘ are coming, and there’s nothing we can do about it’. Again, I asked him what was the point of me being a member then, to which he replied that BASC would seek a 10 year ticket as a ‘compromise’. He was wrong about the second claim.....or will it be sought? It doesn’t look like he was wrong about his first claim. 

I have yet to make up my mind about which organisation I’ll be joining at this years renewal, but presently it’s looking like the CA.

2 hours ago, stevo said:

I too find this comment a bit of an insult.  

I take it when you open the gates for your clay shoot on a Sunday morning you check to make sure all of your patrons and guests have the relevant insurance and belong to the correct shooting org ? After all you wouldnt want ANYONE free riding or shooting on your ground exemption cert/insurance would you. Or is it different if there paying you ? 

Sorry folks, not meant as an insult to anyone, but an absolute statement of FACT.

Anyone shooting at R&ASC is covered by the grounds insurance for the time that they are attending; however, the cover is very basic.

We support and promote both BASC & CPSA, the ground is an Affiliated Member, we encourage members to join one of the organisations, preferably both, but this depends on the members leaning either to clays only or both clays and game; no one is put under any pressure.

We do require shooters to produce their SGC whilst booking on; many proudly also present their (usualy) BASC or CPSA membership card although not requested by the clerk.

webber