BASC statement on Home Office proposals

Guest stevo
27 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

So the agreement about no fees by any county is being ignored, the agreement that was put inplace by BASC, the HO and the BMA?? 

Why is nothing being said about this to the force in question? 

Or am I missing something 

As far as I’m aware there never was a so called agreement.  Yes there was dissussions about what. Why and how but no one ever really agreed on anything. This is why it’s been under the spot light for years. 

The police  , GP’s BMA are still arguing over it now. Does that sound like  it’s sorted ? 

BASC on the other hand was very quick to put a rubber stamp saying “ SORTED “ right over the issue. Followed by a few pats on each other’s backs. 

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was advised yesterday by a customer, that as of 1st. May Merseyside Police are following a similar route to that of Lincolnshire.

I did my best to advise, sadly he is not a member of BASC or any other shooting related organisation.

The man has an appointment to see his Doctor about the matter, but he has already be advised that the practice will not participate with the Police request for a Doctors letter.

I have advised him to request copy of his medical records to be forwarded on to Police with a covering letter.

webber

So now Merseyside I guess basc will seek legal advice on this also. Maybe they will decide the political route that has worked so well in the past is the best way forward. This is possibly the biggest threat to the shooting community ever and if this is not challenged by the organisations it could also be a big threat to them and their existence. 

Stevo, 

Certainly no offence intended against Lincolnshire shooters, just wanted to know how many of you were having issues ?

To see the posts that have followed my post this morning , only highlights the complexity of the issue and the total lack of action by ALL of our member associations .

BASC I believe cannot sort this problem out alone.

Surely with the combined financial resources of ALL the member associations , legal council could be engaged to resolve this ridiculous situation.

The Chief Constable of Lincolnshire and now possibly Merseyside are going against HO advice . Should we not be asking who is actually responsible for this fiasco.

To use Rural / Farming Suicides as a case study is ludicrous , if someone really wishes to end their life they will use any means available to them .

My friend a shotgun and firearms certificate holder hung himself last year .

It really is time that this ridiculous none -Law enforcement was halted.

A member on another forum who's going to pack in shooting put himself forward for a test case, he'd nothing to loose, sure it was Lincolnshire, maybe wrong.

All he would need would be the backing from basc, but up till now........silence.

Doubt you'll hear any update either, Davidbasc posted he wouldn't be given time to the forums anymore (I'm taking it he meant PW aswell) for the criticism that basc was taking over this sorry affair.

Basc  alone could influence the decision by lincs and now it seems Merseyside. They are the biggest of the organisations and by far the wealthiest. I firmly believe that if BASC instigated a legal challenge the forces may well change their stance. As the forces are all short of funds to run the day to day business how would they justify spending a large piece of their budget defend g a practice that goes against the current home office guidance. 

Guest stevo
10 minutes ago, bostonmick said:

Basc  alone could influence the decision by lincs and now it seems Merseyside. They are the biggest of the organisations and by far the wealthiest. I firmly believe that if BASC instigated a legal challenge the forces may well change their stance. As the forces are all short of funds to run the day to day business how would they justify spending a large piece of their budget defend g a practice that goes against the current home office guidance. 

☝️This 100% 

34 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

A member on another forum who's going to pack in shooting put himself forward for a test case, he'd nothing to loose, sure it was Lincolnshire, maybe wrong.

All he would need would be the backing from basc, but up till now........silence.

Doubt you'll hear any update either, Davidbasc posted he wouldn't be given time to the forums anymore (I'm taking it he meant PW aswell) for the criticism that basc was taking over this sorry affair.

Criticism that is entirely due to their **** poor performance!

9 minutes ago, stagboy said:

Although, to be fair, it seems that 150,000 members (an all time, I am told) don't necessarily agree with you.

You may find  that changes if they keep backing away from conflicts. It really does not take much to make it an all time low

2 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

As David works for basc his not giving time to forums is completely in line with basc policy on problems brought to them by the membsrship

Guest stevo
26 minutes ago, stagboy said:

Although, to be fair, it seems that 150,000 members (an all time, I am told) don't necessarily agree with you.

And you believe that ALL of that alleged 150 K actually know what is going with there shooting org?? 

I would bet less than 5% know what’s going on let alone give a  toss . For 95% of folk BASC is just insurance for there game shooting , rough shooting, caravan or whatever. What was your main reason for joining ? 

Whatever it was , I doubt the future of shooting was you main reason . 

I have lots of friends in the shooting world and I come across a fare few more and nearly all of them either don’t know or don’t care about what’s going on . 

When I go to clay grounds some of the stuff I hear is so outdated and removed from the truth about our laws and state of things in general with in the shooting world is frightening. 

I think people,especially BASC will be very surprised at how many people do and will know about these issues!! Every one i speak to is aware of them and are seriously considering whether it is actually worth paying the extra to BASC for what is basically expensive insurance cover. Its not confirmed, but there is a distinct possibility that our (small) club of approx 20 members will not be going with BASC come renewal! 

1 hour ago, stagboy said:

Do you really believe that?

As has been stated many wont know or care, are you happy with the poor showing that BASC has presented so far?

Hmm! The Police and the government triumph over a modest sized gun owners group.

Who ever saw that happening?

Good job BASC never threw shed loads of money at an unwinnable contest. Sound strategic thinking from BASC.

The logic of Sun Tzu strikes again - "Only fight battles you know you can win."

Guest stevo
30 minutes ago, mudpatten said:

Hmm! The Police and the government triumph over a modest sized gun owners group.

Who ever saw that happening?

Good job BASC never threw shed loads of money at an unwinnable contest. Sound strategic thinking from BASC.

The logic of Sun Tzu strikes again - "Only fight battles you know you can win."

Good point well put ......... only a knob knowingly throws his hard earned cash down the drain ?

West Mercia seem to have joined the "must have doctors report" bandwagon.  I don't have (and have never had) any relevant medical conditions/treatments/consultations, but for my renewal West Mercia have written to my Doctor requesting a set of medical records.  The surgery has now written to me requesting a fee for this.  Currently, I have not paid.

3 hours ago, stagboy said:

I am a member, but only because wildfowling club membership dictates it. Basc are a joke.

6 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Not necessarily, the forum he posted that on has had a lot of PW cast-offs wash up on their shore, a fair number of whom were shown the door specifically for making any attempt to discuss the legalities of shooting impossible by bandwagoning it into another opportunity to air their personal grievances against BASC.  

Hopefully he will be back on here and people will give him a chance to communicate what they are trying to do, at least.

I had respect for David in the past coming onto the forum and taking the stick he did at times. However he himself can do nothing only relay current opinion back to the upper levels if they are prepared to listen or are interested. I have sent an email to basc asking that they revisit their decision to follow a political route in this matter. If all members did this it may get us somewhere and emails are free and only take a couple of minutes. 

" Hopefully he will be back on here and people will give him a chance to communicate what they are trying to do, at least. "

Hopefully BASC(as an organisation) will display the courage in fighting this that David BASC has shown in posting in the face of criticism.Hrmmmm----------- dream on but respect for David.

As for emailing BASC,unless they are witless they must have gathered(at least through David BASC)the strength of feeling of their members on this issue and ignored it:time to vote with your feet?

On 18/05/2018 at 17:50, stevo said:

And you believe that ALL of that alleged 150 K actually know what is going with there shooting org?? 

I would bet less than 5% know what’s going on let alone give a  toss . For 95% of folk BASC is just insurance for there game shooting , rough shooting, caravan or whatever. What was your main reason for joining ? 

Whatever it was , I doubt the future of shooting was you main reason . 

I have lots of friends in the shooting world and I come across a fare few more and nearly all of them either don’t know or don’t care about what’s going on . 

When I go to clay grounds some of the stuff I hear is so outdated and removed from the truth about our laws and state of things in general with in the shooting world is frightening. 

I’d have to go along with this mostly. The vast majority of my shooting mates had no idea what was going on until I told them. All shrugged and asked what the shooting organisations are doing, and that was that basically.  

The syndicate is insured through BASC but our shoot captain/part time keeper ( who does know what’s going on ) says they have had more than enough support from us over the years so is now looking at changing it for the NGO which is cheaper and more relevant to what he’s actually doing.