Shot making Comrad!!

I have no idea how Bismuth works.......But the holy grail of shotmaking and reloading in general is consistency. A lot of these "rural" videos produce bits of lead that resemble something around spherical, but on closer inspection, they are so random in size and shape, the pattern would be absolutely awful. If you want such a small amount, I would suggest buying it from a decent source. However, if you get the bug, like most of us, there is plenty of information on here to make very acceptable to outstanding shot.

Hope this helps.

T33

6 hours ago, rovercoupe said:

yep made everything from 9s to 4 with it, it wont make award winning perfect round shot but its simple and the patterns seem good enough.

going straight into hot water is great as the cleaning takes ages if going into fabric conditioner 

What size hole did you still in the pan? 

6 hours ago, rovercoupe said:

yep made everything from 9s to 4 with it, it wont make award winning perfect round shot but its simple and the patterns seem good enough.

going straight into hot water is great as the cleaning takes ages if going into fabric conditioner 

It takes about 30seconds to swill shot dropped into fabric conditioner, have you ever actually tried it? it is far less problematic than neat water too. Shot dropped into any kind of oil is a different case altogether and never gets proper clean even if washed in petrol.

22 hours ago, turbo33 said:

A lot of these "rural" videos produce bits of lead that resemble something around spherical, but on closer inspection, they are so random in size and shape, the pattern would be absolutely awful.

T33

I have used Hevishot and if you open up a cartridge and look at the shot it looks pretty awful its all different sizes misshapen  and nodules stuck to it but it patterns ok and kills  very well.

I have also used copper"shot" made from cut sections of heavy wire that was also pretty rough looking but it patterned pretty good.

On 27 April 2018 at 15:20, johnnytheboy said:

What size hole did you still in the pan? 

Good question, it should roughly be the same as normal dripper nozzles so about a 0.6 to 0.8 but in my excitement of getting a micro drill bit set I opened the pack too quickly and they all spilled out of there little dividers so have no idea what size they all are now!

the mk1 shot pan was dropping into fabric conditioner but it didnt seem to make any difference to how the shot came out so just went for hot water in the end. I allways felt like the shot has a soapy feel no matter how many times i washed it allthough it could be the amount it got used or how hot it ended up getting being right next to the burner?

there is 90kg of lead here that needs to be made into shot so will have to get going once summer arrives.

23 hours ago, greenergp said:

I have used Hevishot and if you open up a cartridge and look at the shot it looks pretty awful its all different sizes misshapen  and nodules stuck to it but it patterns ok and kills  very well.

I have also used copper"shot" made from cut sections of heavy wire that was also pretty rough looking but it patterned pretty good.

Same with Gamebore Impact Tungsten Matrix, ITM, anything but round.

Edited by sitsinhedges

On 26/04/2018 at 13:28, greenergp said:

I have been looking at some of the shotmaking videos on youtube, the Russians seem to make acceptable shot with very basic and easily made equipment, has anyone tried making shot with this sort of setup?

I dont plan on making large amounts of shot, just a kilo or 2 in Bismuth.

https://youtu.be/NqrudEcb3yw

Thanks for posting video link, it has to be worth trying to get bigger bismuth shot, the savings would  be worthwhile.