A bit of info please

Romes

Good afternoon,

I currently have a SGC (Section 2) and have a few rabbits in my garden (3rd Acre), rather than using the .410 or 12G I was considering using an air rifle. Its just to stop them munching my plants really.... I fear that using the 12G there may be not much of the plants left after to protect.

Now here are the questions....

Is a pre charged air rifle suitable for expelling the occasional rabbit?
Is the license i hold adequate?
What would be my best option to use occasional?

Thankyou all in advance,

Romes

I don't want to be a party pooper but even if the rifle has enough power is it accurate enough for headshots at the range you need? A 70s BSA is unlikely to be running at anywhere near the power of a modern air rifle which makes it all the more important that you can hit the little zone between eye and ear base to achieve a clean kill. Please have a go at paper targets in the garden first.

There's never  been a better excuse for a new gun. As others have said a Springer for casual use is ideal. My money is on am hw99 or a little bit dearer with a tx200. There' lots of other choices but both are more than capable of popping bunnies in a large garden. A simple scope and a silencer if you must. Second hand saves a packet. Don't worry about if it'. 22 or .177. 

You don't need a license for sub 12 ftlbs. Best of luck  

Some good advice on here in my opinion.

Agree regarding a springer for occasional use, and that a good domed pellet is the best choice - I used to go through tens of thousands of Eley Wasps as a lad, before the quality of them dropped way off.  I try to get Crossman Accupels now, not that I do a lot of airgunning any more.

Accuracy is the most important factor, power is nothing without it, but I wouldnt want to take anything that can do less than 10ft/lbs out hunting.

I am also a .177 fan for rabbits, but that's a can of worms in of itself.

• 5 months later...

Thank you all for your input and advice, the rifle has been tested by my local gun shop and they say that its suitable for purpose. Domed pellets purchased as also recommended above.

Now to get my eye in and once I feel i can achieve a clean kill..... bye bye bunny. Failing that i have a brand new over and under .410 by Kofs that will more than take care of the little blighters.

Thanks again all

Have u got a scope on it .? 

Ideally you need to hit the rabbits head just behind the eye  .this is a kill zone of about an inch .if your pellet falls out of this target area you risk wounding the rabbit .

Please practice on paper first and make sure your happy putting all those pellets into a 25mm circle (draw round a 2 p coin ) .ideally zero at 25 yds and test at this range .then when happy , position your self at 25 yds from said flower muncher and let him have it .ps be aware of  your backstop and neighbours garden /greenhouse etc. 

Good luck and let us know how u get on. 

1 minute ago, Ultrastu said:

Have u got a scope on it .? 

Ideally you need to hit the rabbits head just behind the eye  .this is a kill zone of about an inch .if your pellet falls out of this target area you risk wounding the rabbit .

Please practice on paper first and make sure your happy putting all those pellets into a 25mm circle (draw round a 2 p coin ) .ideally zero at 25 yds and test at this range .then when happy , position your self at 25 yds from said flower muncher and let him have it .ps be aware of  your backstop and neighbours garden /greenhouse etc. 

Good luck and let us know how u get on. 

No scope on it, just iron sights but they are aligned properly now, was thinking about a scope but not sure it will take one without modification.

Will be practicing first as stated above with paper targets, corks etc. There is wall all around my property with shrubs so no stray pellets :)

I will try your suggestions and let you know how i get on, thank you.

57 minutes ago, manthing said:

If your not a rifle shooter normally go on tubeyou and search "artillery hold".  Will improve results. 

I would like to be, my Father was and used to shoot in competitions (local). The aim is to get my Section 1 in the next year so I can do target as well as clays.

Will have a look now at " artillery hold "

Thanks