Increase in violent crime.

timmytree

4 hours ago, Westward said:

I'm in my early 70s and I truly feel sad at the dismal mess we've made of this once great country. How have we allowed successive governments to virtually eradicate all traces of individual responsibility and self reliance resulting in a huge percentage of the population which expects and demands entitlement by right to things they've done little or nothing to earn.

And I've watched the continuing erosion of our ancient freedoms, particularly freedom of speech and freedom of the press. How could we have sleepwalked into legislation that makes expressing a perfectly valid opinion a "Hate Crime".

I too am not a Nazi or xenophobic but I simply don't believe I should have to change my cultural or religious norms or have different ones thrust on me by people who have very different values and in some cases strongly object to mine.

Many of the perpetrators (and victims) of the violence being discussed here are descended from the currently topical and emotionally charged "Windrush Generation". It seems that even after 3 generations there is still a problem with integration and participation and that the ghetto mentality is as strong as ever.

I will never understand why our society is expected to jump through hoops to appease a minority most whom it seems, don't wish to be part of our society - except when it comes to claiming benefits of course.

2 hours ago, Westward said:

I'm no fan of the modern police force. In becoming a paramilitary response force, answerable to no one and deciding their own priorities without consulting the people they're supposed to be serving, they've become exactly what parliament most feared during the many years of debate that preceded the founding of the police force in the 19th century. Back then they were 'Citizens in Uniform' and were bound by the Police Charter. All that's been thrown out of course, largely thanks to the new breed of Chief Officers, most of whom are graduates who entered the force straight into management, many being fast tracked to the top and in most cases have never confronted a real criminal. These are people who consider themselves to be members of  an elite group holding an inordinate amount of influence with the pygmies who form governments these days and who know exactly how, through their PCC, to use their lobbying power to bully Home Secretaries and Prime Ministers to get what they want.

Nevertheless, I don't hold the police in any way responsible for the increase in violent crime, nor do I accept that it's anything to do with police budget cuts.

The inescapable reality is that young people from decent homes with parents and grandparents setting a good example and instilling proper values, don't go out and stab people. Instead they get an education and enter the workplace and contribute to society.

That we have an underculture of people wearing the ghetto mentality like a badge, living like outlaws and joining gangs because all too frequently it's the nearest thing in their life to a family, is not the fault of anyone but their own parents (and grandparents).

The rest of us have to see our freedoms curtailed because governments, police and the MSM dare not speak the truth that the only people who can deal with the issue are the people from and of the culture that produces the gang mentality.

Charity begins at home and so does learning how to be a law abiding citizen.

By golly sir, I do believe you've hit the nail on the head. :good:

21 hours ago, Scully said:

Growing up in the '70's we sometimes clashed with others from out of town at village dances etc,

I remember as a teenager that they tried to organize 'discos' at our local church hall in rural Wales. Our neighbour, who was in his 20s and older, had some part or other in the organization of it and before the lights were turned down and the music turned on he stood  up on the stage at the first one and solemnly warned that if there was any fighting the music would be stopped, and that if there was any more of it after that the whole thing would be abandoned. Half an hour later everyone was on their way home. They tried again the following month, but with the unfinished  business from the first one fresh in the memories, the second one barely lasted past the first song. And that was the end of that.

36 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

I remember as a teenager that they tried to organize 'discos' at our local church hall in rural Wales. Our neighbour, who was in his 20s and older, had some part or other in the organization of it and before the lights were turned down and the music turned on he stood  up on the stage at the first one and solemnly warned that if there was any fighting the music would be stopped, and that if there was any more of it after that the whole thing would be abandoned. Half an hour later everyone was on their way home. They tried again the following month, but with the unfinished  business from the first one fresh in the memories, the second one barely lasted past the first song. And that was the end of that.

Mmmm.....our local dances were stopped when some bright spark decided it was a good idea to put the biggest troublemaker on the door! 

On 26/04/2018 at 20:23, Ollieollie said:

I on the other hand:

1 I am in my middle 30's and have not had the best times(personally anyway)

2 I live in urban birmingham so i see it all daily

3 I have 3 kids all under the age of 5 and i fear for their future

I have come to despise a country(and a city) i loved when growing up in

Mate have you looked into emigrating ?  a young man with a family and trade, I was in Australia on a years work permit, loved it, plenty of work, sunshine and amazing sea fishing, always fancied NZ or Canada, if I was in your situation I wouldnt hesitate..

51 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Mate have you looked into emigrating ?  a young man with a family and trade, I was in Australia on a years work permit, loved it, plenty of work, sunshine and amazing sea fishing, always fancied NZ or Canada, if I was in your situation I wouldnt hesitate..

We’re trying to ‘emigrate’ to Cornwall. On track with the financial plan so far, just waiting for the stars to align so to speak 

We did consider your neck of the woods IG but the winters not for me I don’t think 

5 minutes ago, Ollieollie said:

We’re trying to ‘emigrate’ to Cornwall. On track with the financial plan so far, just waiting for the stars to align so to speak 

We did consider your neck of the woods IG but the winters not for me I don’t think 

Cornwall's great, what part ?  I worked on some farms near Newquay as a lad, bit to crowded for me now,  We have mild winters but can get a  bit blowy at times..;)

On 26/04/2018 at 20:03, bornfree said:

i have three things to be thankful for.

1 iam in my middle fifty's so my generation has had the best times

2 i live in very rural norfolk so i see none of this locally

3 i have no kids so i dont need to worry about their future.as i hate to think what this country will be like in 30 years time.

Bit similar to myself thank the Lord

On 27/04/2018 at 11:50, Westward said:

I'm in my early 70s and I truly feel sad at the dismal mess we've made of this once great country. How have we allowed successive governments to virtually eradicate all traces of individual responsibility and self reliance resulting in a huge percentage of the population which expects and demands entitlement by right to things they've done little or nothing to earn.

And I've watched the continuing erosion of our ancient freedoms, particularly freedom of speech and freedom of the press. How could we have sleepwalked into legislation that makes expressing a perfectly valid opinion a "Hate Crime".

I too am not a Nazi or xenophobic but I simply don't believe I should have to change my cultural or religious norms or have different ones thrust on me by people who have very different values and in some cases strongly object to mine.

Many of the perpetrators (and victims) of the violence being discussed here are descended from the currently topical and emotionally charged "Windrush Generation". It seems that even after 3 generations there is still a problem with integration and participation and that the ghetto mentality is as strong as ever.

I will never understand why our society is expected to jump through hoops to appease a minority most whom it seems, don't wish to be part of our society - except when it comes to claiming benefits of course.

Well spoken indeed Westward, my sentiments exactly, we are of a like age both remember a country of freedom and respect.

On 4/27/2018 at 21:27, Ollieollie said:

Unless you have a lot of family here, or commitments here (like myself) you cant sensibly walk away from, I would personally be headed away from the UK.

I believe this country, unless Brexit changes it fundamentally for the better, is going down the pan rapidly.
We are pandering to too many no hopers and criminals, housing and the costs of it, are  a very real problem.

If I and my kids were  younger, and I didnt have a business firmly rooted in my home town, I would be moving to Canada or NZ.
You have room to breathe ,and prospects for a great future, opportunities and a better quality of life.
You cannot walk into these countries and just demand benefits like here, there borders and immigration authorities will remove any wrongdoers who infringe their laws.
Somewhat unlike the UK Im sorry to say.

52 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Unless you have a lot of family here, or commitments here (like myself) you cant sensibly walk away from, I would personally be headed away from the UK.

I believe this country, unless Brexit changes it fundamentally for the better, is going down the pan rapidly.
We are pandering to too many no hopers and criminals, housing and the costs of it, are  a very real problem.

If I and my kids were  younger, and I didnt have a business firmly rooted in my home town, I would be moving to Canada or NZ.
You have room to breathe ,and prospects for a great future, opportunities and a better quality of life.
You cannot walk into these countries and just demand benefits like here, there borders and immigration authorities will remove any wrongdoers who infringe their laws.
Somewhat unlike the UK Im sorry to say.

hello, good post Rewulf, 

3 minutes ago, oowee said:

Except that you can go back to Socratees saying the same thing. My mum always says things used to be better. Maybe it's a sign of our time? 

hello, that may well be but i for 1 do not like how our country is at this time, the halcyon days of our 1950s/60s/70s 80s 90s are pretty much over, now with record crime/ over population mainly due to immigration/ record house prices/ many British industries that made goods closing due to cheap imports. high streets changing, but will leaving the EU make things better i do fear not but one can only hope for future generations, although i might add more young people voted to stay:hmm:   

1 hour ago, oowee said:

My mum always says things used to be better. Maybe it's a sign of our time? 

My parents, both born in 1915, always said things were much worse for their generation than mine.

I'm certainly not misty eyed about the 50s, 60s and 70s and particularly the economic decline and the massive inflation which hit this country hard, but it was still a pretty good time in which to grow up. Education up to degree level was available and generally free for those who wanted and even after years of Labour governments there was plenty of work. Outside London houses were affordable and most of us were able to get a car of some sort. My generation was the first to really break away from the old conventions from before WW2 and look outward rather than inward. For us, life was so much more relaxed and we seemed much more content and easy going than modern young people. We had fewer restrictions imposed because generally we understood and respected the boundaries and thereby enjoyed the resulting personal liberties so lacking in life today. The so-called sexual revolution, which mightily absorbed the press and TV, was equally relaxed as far as we were concerned and women didn't feel the compulsion to constantly compete with men, yet for all that they seemed somehow to be more emancipated and free to make choices than they do today.

It was a time when sex was safe and motor racing was dangerous and it will never come back. Today's young people may have more money and materialism but it comes at a cost.

On 30/04/2018 at 11:39, Rewulf said:

Maybe Socrates said that too ?
It doesnt mean it has to be that way, we can change things, the problem arises when we rely on other people to change things for us.

Therein lies the problem. Being unable to trust or rely on our politicians to do what we ask them to means it's only going one way and sadly that's not our way?

I certainly wish I had gone when given the opportunity.