Info needed on seter shotgun

Wayne1

Has anyone heard and have any information about a seter side by side 12 gauge , had a google and nothing comes up , has the word seter with a dog on both barrels and reciever

Any info appreciated

1 hour ago, Wayne1 said:

Has anyone heard and have any information about a seter side by side 12 gauge , had a google and nothing comes up , has the word seter with a dog on both barrels and reciever , i know its spanish from eiber

Any info appreciated

received_10213901976496429.jpeg

received_10213901976336425.jpeg

received_10213901980856538-1.jpg

I.jpg

received_608874269464501.jpeg

Edited by Wayne1
Added photos

A photo of the barrel flats would probably indicate where it was proofed & country of origin which would help. Sounds like it came from somewhere who cant spell in English.  With the dogs & the name I would have thought the name would be "Setter" !

Sorry, we were obviously both typing at the same time as I see you have now said its Spanish.

Edited by JJsDad

I cannot from your photo identify the date code which would show when your gun was proofed. However, if you have a close look yourself and then go to the link below you may well be able to date your gun & identify the manufacturers code. The Basque area of Northern Spain (in particular Eibar) has been an active warren of gunmakers since before the Spanish civil war. They range from the well known makers (Arrieta / AYA / Grulla / Sarasqueta / Arrizabalaga / Ugartechea / Kemen / Zabala) to the lesser makers who sold their guns under names such as (Lig / Eibar / Basque etc). There were also many shotguns imported into the UK that were badged by the importer under such names as Sable and ranged from entry level guns right through to top of the range sidelocks with assisted opening and profuse hand engraving. A number of the smaller firms over the years have collapsed financially, only to resurect a short time later under a different name. Many of these smaller businesses were only 2 or 3 workers who often specialized in producing forgings, springs, trigger guards etc, however they as was common in the English trade years ago would buy in a barreled action and produce a gun under their own name. I may be wrong, but I suspect your gun was made by Antonio Bubatiia* ( *Indistinc) which is stamped on the RH barrel, and that `Seter` was the model or his trade mark. The fact that the word seter is adjacent to a stamp of a dog suggests it may have been a misspelling of the word "Setter" as in English Setter, not uncommon when translating their own language into English.

The fact that this name & model do not appear on either of the 2 largest UK websites (Guntrader & Gunstar) points to your gun being from one of the lesser known, smaller businesses. Whether they still exist, I am afraid I cannot tell you.  As an aside; if you re-produce your post & the photo`s in the `Side by Side Club` in Guns & Equipment, you will probably get more people viewing it & possibly more advice than I have offered.

https://www.njwoodsandwater.com/topic/547-spanish-sxs-makers-marks-and-date-codes/

Edited by JJsDad
Additional info

Thanks for the info its very appreciated any idea of a rough value and if a spelling mistake is it like a misprinted stamp worth a fortune ☺?

It has a H so 1935 in great condition for that age i wouldnt have thought it would have been nitro proofed at that age ?

Edited by Wayne1

Some extra date code / proof info here: http://www.shotguns.se/html/spain.html

It has been nitro proofed.

I personally would never attempt to value a gun sight unseen. There are just to many factors to take into account. For example, you havent said whether its an ejector, length of barrels etc; and thats before its assessed for its mechanical condition. The other thing to take into account is spares back up, its all very well having a rare gun untill something goes wrong and you cant get a particular spare for love nor money. Getting a new extractor made from a blank, fitted and rimmed by a practical gunsmith would probably cost more than the guns worth.

Spelling mistake or not, its only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. A lot of younger people coming into the sport whether its clays / game / wildfowling or pigeon shooting will get steered towards an O/U or god forbid an auto as a first gun. Consequently boxlock non-ejectors with short(ish) barrels are probably at an all time low in terms of price. Some dealers are not really interested in taking them in P/X and will only pay peanuts if you are seeking cash. You must know what you paid for it, a trip to your nearest gun dealer for a valuation will confirm if you are quids in or have bought a pig in a poke..

spain.html

Looks very typical of a whole raft of Spanish guns imported in the late 60's and 70's .There were dozens of small Spanish makers many of whom were amalgamated into larger concerns or just went out of business .

I certainly do not think it was from early as 1935 , looks to be a non ejector and how much more than £85 is the asking price ?

I am in the same frame of mind to `Gunman` that this is nowhere near as old as 1935. To the immediate rear of the letter `H` is an indistinct mark that could be a `2`; this would date it from 1988 !      Which I think is the more likely.

It would also appear that the lumps are brazed in, rather than chopper lump forgings which is the prefered method of the better makers.

Regretably, a boxlock non-ejector with what appears to be a nickel or chrome-plated action from a virtually unknown Spanish maker; regardless of its working condition, is not going to bring you in a small fortune.

Id sooner it be a later model  not really worried on the value just curious, its not had no plating just polished

Next to the H is a small mark like a backwards L  which could be the bottom of a 1 maybe ? But its allmost gone and seeing as the H is so deep id assume if there was a number it would be just as deep and with them beeing so close together if the number had worn away surly the H would have as well also if that was a number the bottom isnt inline with the bottom of the H

Ive attached some more photos of the H area

received_10213907468793733-2.jpg

received_10213907469273745-1.jpg

Edited by Wayne1

H1 would date it from the early 1960s, which as Gunman said is quite feasible. The proof marks are invariably put in with a stamp and a hammer and wont necessarily be applied by the more skilled worker in the proof house. They are not always in line or particularly well applied or of the same depth. JC may well be the initials of the barrel maker or the business who produced the barrels. The proofing of the gun is invariably carried out before final finishing, so the finisher could well have taken a file or emery cloth to the barrels and flats that has led to some of the marks becoming indistinct.

1 hour ago, JJsDad said:

Which appears to be stamped on the barrel as I mentioned earlier !

Apologies, hadn't noticed you make any mention of the makers code BA or for that matter Antonio Bilbatua being the maker!! 

1 hour ago, JJsDad said:

Which appears to be stamped on the barrel as I mentioned earlier !

4 minutes ago, triumphant59 said:

Apologies, hadn't noticed you make any mention of the makers code BA

No need for apologies. In a much earlier thread I suggested to the owner that the makers name was stamped onto the top of one barrel, but it was slightly difficult to read from the photo. The fact that the BA code throws up that name is just confirming what I suggested. I think the word "Seter" coupled with a dogs head is the model, not the maker.

23 hours ago, JJsDad said:

I cannot from your photo identify the date code which would show when your gun was proofed. However, if you have a close look yourself and then go to the link below you may well be able to date your gun & identify the manufacturers code. The Basque area of Northern Spain (in particular Eibar) has been an active warren of gunmakers since before the Spanish civil war. They range from the well known makers (Arrieta / AYA / Grulla / Sarasqueta / Arrizabalaga / Ugartechea / Kemen / Zabala) to the lesser makers who sold their guns under names such as (Lig / Eibar / Basque etc). There were also many shotguns imported into the UK that were badged by the importer under such names as Sable and ranged from entry level guns right through to top of the range sidelocks with assisted opening and profuse hand engraving. A number of the smaller firms over the years have collapsed financially, only to resurect a short time later under a different name. Many of these smaller businesses were only 2 or 3 workers who often specialized in producing forgings, springs, trigger guards etc, however they as was common in the English trade years ago would buy in a barreled action and produce a gun under their own name. I may be wrong, but I suspect your gun was made by Antonio Bubatiia* ( *Indistinc) which is stamped on the RH barrel, and that `Seter` was the model or his trade mark. The fact that the word seter is adjacent to a stamp of a dog suggests it may have been a misspelling of the word "Setter" as in English Setter, not uncommon when translating their own language into English.

The fact that this name & model do not appear on either of the 2 largest UK websites (Guntrader & Gunstar) points to your gun being from one of the lesser known, smaller businesses. Whether they still exist, I am afraid I cannot tell you.  As an aside; if you re-produce your post & the photo`s in the `Side by Side Club` in Guns & Equipment, you will probably get more people viewing it & possibly more advice than I have offered.

https://www.njwoodsandwater.com/topic/547-spanish-sxs-makers-marks-and-date-codes/

hello, a good post JJ