Opening the choke on a sbs.

mudpatten

7 hours ago, hairysausagefingers said:

Hmmm - wasn't sure if I should post this, but what the hell. Shoot me down if you must.

I recently bought a battered old O/U for hide shooting. I like open chokes, but this was half and full. I was quoted £60 per barrel, but the gun was only £105, so I decided to do it myself. I have a pillar drill so it was a question of wrapping some emery cloth round a brass jag on my sturdy two piece aluminium cleaning rod, sticking in the chuck and going down from the breach end to work on removing the chokes. It all got a bit warm, so a bucket of water to cool the barrels periodically sorted that. I went steady and spent a couple of hours at it, on and off.

Very unscientific and I only did it because the gun was a cheap one, but I reckon I have about quarter in the bottom and half in the top. It shoots really well on the pigeons now and I have much more confidence in it. Looking down the bores it looks no different to a factory gun. 

Well done ?

its called innovative gun smithing ?

I’d have done similar ?

all the best 

of 

Richard Gallyon does or did opening of chokes...and i thought it was quite expensive...so i didnt use him....but what i found out later he will pattern test the gun until he is satisfyed that the operation has been correct to the standard expected or desired