Never had this happen before

oxfordfowler

Strange thing happened the other day. I was happily shooting a few pigeons on a drilled field. There wasn't much activity - I had shot 10 and was considering packing up when out of the corner of my eye something moving.

A Fox came charging out of the hedge about 5 yards to my left and headed straight for my pattern. It hadn't quiet gotten to my whirly before it  was stopped by some No.6.

Now i've shot several Foxes whilst out pigeon shooting over the years but this is the first time  I have ever seen one actively hunt my pattern. Guess he had some hungry mouths to feed.

hello, hope you are keeping well as not seen you on pw a while, a few years back about this time i shot a rabbit and before i put the rifle down a fox popped out the hedge picked it up and was gone in a flash, i can only presume it was watching said rabbit, i have had a kestrel fly down on the decoys, yes i think many cubs need feeding now  

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

A couple of hours decoying pigeon with a friend one afternoon a youngish fox appeared from a hedgerow and crossed a ditch on our left some 80 yards away, it had a rabbit lunch in its mouth and as foxy spotted our decoys it froze, after a second or two of studying our decoys it slowly lowered the rabbit to the ground and stalked  our pattern very stealthily .

The pair of us were holding as still as we could as the fox stalked our decoys, we were trying real hard to stay still and silent stifling our sniggers as he stalked our PLASTIC decoys !.

He eventually caught on that the Pigeons were not kosher when he was almost entering the pattern,  an uncontrollable  snigger from one of us sent him bolting back the way he came 80 yard's to the ditch and through the hedgerow.

We enjoyed the silent movie type entertainment but in his haste to make a run for it he had forgotten to pick up his rabbit lunch, he then appeared a few seconds later through the hedge and crossed the ditch to retrieve his lunch and beat a hasty retreat.

Well it was pigeons zero for the afternoon but the fox entertainment was spot on and kept us chuckling for some time .

A few years ago I was pigeon decoying across the road from where I lived then on a wheat stubble field but still in view of my house. The previous day I had shot a few pigeons and had left them in a small pile by the back door. After an hour or so, I noticed to my left, a fox coming out of the hedgerow and proceeding across the field towards my house. After a few minutes he returned with a pigeon in his mouth. Obviously one of mine from the previous day. This was repeated twice more, after which I assumed that he had gathered sufficient to feed a family. I was intrigued as to know how he had found my pigeons in the first instance, but wished him and his family well. I know that many on here would not be quite so tolerant but I had nothing 'live' that he could harm, so let him be.

An interesting anecdote that went into the shooting diary at the time.

OB