.410 help please

andyinthepeaks

Hi all,

I'm after a bit of help. Ive bought a Webley .410 Bolt Action single shot and just got some Eley 2.1/2" shells for it. Problem is they dont fit! 

The bolt has a recess for the shell rim, but the rim is marginally too large diameter to fit in, preventing me closing the bolt.

Can anyone suggest a brand that has a marginally smaller rim? Has anyone else experienced this...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions..

Edited by andyinthepeaks

I used to have one of these, just a thought but have you tried removing the bolt then the extractor and cleaning under the extractor, easily done with a cocktail or similar stick this alway cured the problem for me as a lot of muck would build up under  and  in front of the extractor. You might have to give it a bit of a poke and scrape with something stiffer if the muck has built up over a long time in the grove the extractor sits in at the base of the barrel. Years ago when the only cartridges locally available were paper cases eley furlong this was a problem not because of thick heads more to do with thick power residue or unburned powder. Hope this might help.

Edited by swan40

Thank you for your response, but in this case it isn't the solution. The gun is immaculately clean.

The issue is the recess in the bolt head that the rim fits into. The rim of the cartridge is just too wide to fit into it, only by a fraction of a mm, but enough to stop it seating correctly.

Edited by andyinthepeaks

Is it all of the cartridges in the box or just some ? 

It is not unknown for the odd metal heads to be incorrect but unusual to be totally out of spec. I have seen thin rims which an ejector can run over but not a regular thing just now and then.

I would take them back to the gunshop with the gun to see what the problem is . I would not think there should  be much difference in the dimensions of cases of various manufactures i would think they  have to comply with the same rules and specs .

It will be interesting to see what the problem is . I have used many different makes over the years and not come across oversized  heads before perhaps the quality control person had a day off.

Thanks for that idea!  I had tried two out the box, but on rechecking I've found that about half the box will seat correctly and the others won't. The shells in question are Eley Fourlong so  I thought they would be good to go.

Does look like a QA sort of issue then , although I gather the .410 shell dimensions were pretty undefined in the early days. Not sure the age of this particular gun.

I will try a box of another brand maybe Fiocchi or Lyevale

Thanks to all for your suggestions and posts

Edited by andyinthepeaks

This gun has a sliding extractor under the case. Its a single shot, no magazine so doesnt has a "claw" type extrator. 

Its very definitely a shell rim tolerance issue, measuring with a micrometer the rim is about 0.2 - 0.3 mm over the .410 case specification, just enough to stop it seating.

Edited by andyinthepeaks

• 4 weeks later...