2 decent days on drilling

yickdaz

as we all know the drillings have gone in late this year  and still more to go in yet around here, we shot on an oat drilling last sat with seed all over the field on top but it was the crows that were on it, we had a go at them and got a few bonus pigeon that flew past we only had 3hrs after looking around some of our other farms, picked 26 corvids and 4 pigeon 

today I looked at a different farm very local to me about a mile away, always produces a bag or two when the drilling goes in 1 field had been done with barley 1 had been ploughed ready and the 3rd was being ploughed whilst I was there, I found pigeons flighting to the 1 field that had been done and about 50 on the deck watched for 15 mins and it looked good got set up at 1.30pm and then it went dead for 30 mins  birds did start to come back but they wouldn't come near passing over very high took a while to shoot 2 then set the magnet up that helped but had loads come for a look then slide away 80 yards from me and a lot just totally ignored he decoys, after I scraped a few more down and set the flapper up  kept putting dead birds out  it changed and they decoyed well   it was never hectic steady 4 hrs or so finished at 6pm with 35 woodies 4 corvids and 2 ferals  

WP_20180421_16_26_53_Pro 1.jpg

WP_20180428_18_12_00_Pro (451x800).jpg

Edited by yickdaz

Just now, pigeon controller said:

Well done Daz, a nice read and result. We have found that the magnet on drilling can be the Kiss of Death so we do not use it. May need to try a flapper and see the effect. Nice to see dry soil as all ours is sodden.

I took my magnet down today as they were not having it. Put 6 half shell and couple of deads out...job done. 17 for 32

7 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

Well done Daz, a nice read and result. We have found that the magnet on drilling can be the Kiss of Death so we do not use it. May need to try a flapper and see the effect. Nice to see dry soil as all ours is sodden.

well it pulled them today but I find if you use a flapper and the magnet 20 yards away from each other  which I did today  it diverts there attention from focusing on just the magnet as they approach 

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 21:13, pigeon controller said:

Fortunately I have never found it to be a problem. The magnet did not put the birds off at all when we shot 165 last weekend on the drilled wheat. Also used the magnet on the drilled beans on Saturday and Sunday for bags of 53 and 47.

Well done again, Daz. You put the effort in and always get some reward.

For what it is worth I seem to have reversed my decision about not using a magnet on drillings. The field I shot on Saturday was several hundred metres long and pigeons entering at the far end from me would almost certainly have landed there without being enticed down the field by the magnet. Of course the magnet may not have been so useful when the pattern consisted of over fifty birds.