Who drives a boxster?

eddoakley

Guest stevo

Go for the 911 if you have the balls , if there really big get the older turbo  ?

that is of course if you know how to drive a very pokey rear wheel drive , if not save your other half the funeral expenses . 

Edited by stevo

8 minutes ago, Ollieollie said:

I have no experience of either, never will. But I imagine if you got the boxter you always wish you went for the 911

That's one of the concerns. However it' a moot point as I just bought a boxster!

Can always sell it and save for the 911 if I really want.

Don't really anticipate keeping it very long anyway.

Hopefully it won't be too much of a disappointment.

Edd 

Really fancied  Cayman a while ago but have not seen any advertised that have taken my fancy. More money than a boxster though.

Edited by eddoakley

8 minutes ago, Delwint said:

Cayman for me, hasn’t got the hairdresser stigma of the boxter, and is cheaper than a 911 

Really :lol:. Cayman otherwise known as a .........

Get one Edd it would be great fun and cheap to run. 

Edited by oowee

18 minutes ago, oowee said:

Really . Cayman otherwise known as a .........

Get one Edd it would be great fun and cheap to run. 

Cayman or boxster cheap to run?

What's wrong with a Cayman? I quite like them and was going to get one when I thought about getting rid of the Cayenne.

I know the boxster often gets some stick but surely it's gotta be a bit of fun?

Closest thing I have had would be a TT and I enjoyed that. It was probably 15 years ago though!

Edd

Been trying to convince the mrs Edd that it's for her but she isn't having any of it. Reckons it's a midlife crisis!

You have to do these things sometimes. I had a vx turbo and used to drive from Birmingham to Wales and back late at night just for the fun of it. I also used a 911 Saudi import around the streets of Milton Keynes. Great but very high risk :) Mine was a definitely crisis time. 

Cheap to run yep (relatively). Boxster would be great.  Friend of mine Denny had one as a present and she brought it over to show me. We took the roof off and could not work out how to put it back up when it rained :lol:

But Cayman no............ so sad unless you have a post on grinder.

6 minutes ago, oowee said:

You have to do these things sometimes. I had a vx turbo and used to drive from Birmingham to Wales and back late at night just for the fun of it. I also used a 911 Saudi import around the streets of Milton Keynes. Great but very high risk  Mine was a definitely crisis time. 

Cheap to run yep (relatively). Boxster would be great.  Friend of mine Denny had one as a present and she brought it over to show me. We took the roof off and could not work out how to put it back up when it rained 

But Cayman no............ so sad unless you have a post on grinder.

I realised what you meant about the Cayman after re-reading your post. Never knew they were thought of in that way. 

I remember you telling me about the vx. I had one on trial for a weekend and it was sh.. (rubbish) not impressed at all. Perhaps it was just a bad one. Tried the Lotus Elise too and although I liked it a bit more it really didn' impress me.

Toyed with the idea of a boxster for a while and have just bitten the bullet. I think a few days of sun last week might have been the deciding factor.

Hoping to collect it tomorrow so hopefully there won't be any horror stories to make me too worried.

On a different note, drop me a text if you fancy swapping a days stalking. We are getting into a few boar lately.

Edd

Edited by eddoakley

7 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

If you're looking at the boxster you might aswell save some pennies and get a Honda S2000. Probably one of the most reliable cars(engine wise).. And great fun to drive, also wont be seen as driving the poor mans 911

Just had a look at the honda. Nice motors but a bit late now as I bought the porsche last night.

Will see how I get on but it's just an itch that needed scratching so I may well get rid of it pretty soon anyway.

My daily drive is a cayenne so I'm not entirely new to Porsches.  I just fancied something else as I very rarely get to drive anything other than work vans.

Hoping to get the boxster picked up today.

No horror stories yet which is good.

Edd

Well that was annoying.

250 miles + round trip to pick up the car that i had won on eBay and it was a bit of a pig.

Poor paint repair to rear panel, shut lines all wrong, rlfront bumper needed painting, roof didn't retract properly, Smokey.. ....

Disappointing but at least I didn't send someone to just collect it!

Perhaps it will prompt me to look for a 911.

Edd

How old, mileage etc on that boxter?

I also had a bit of an urge to get a bit of a toy last year, and I eventually bought a Z3 2.8... looks lovely, goes very nicely, and cost peanuts these days. Bought a car with 60k miles on it, pretty much all nice and tidy, new soft top etc for... £4k.

We have had a boxster for years, you can't beat the sound of the flat 6! 

Ours is used as an every day driver, it's used as a work car and has racked up some miles. We found the more it was used the better it was. In 5 years of ownership it has never let us down!! 

I had a 987 gen 2 boxster S, cayman R and 997 gen 2 911 and to be quite honest the most fun of all was the boxster S and it’s the car I miss the most.  All very reliable the thing to remember is running costs aren’t low but the two year servicing interval makes it not too painful.  You will find that people who see Boxster as the poor mans 911 don’t know how to drove them properly or just quote clarkson.  

Cayman R was run but ride too severe for our roads, the non R Caymans I found dull compared to Boxster, 911 was fab in sport and super sport modes but the problem is the cars are so flipping good they are only fun at licence losing speeds...

1 hour ago, figgy said:

If you want fun buy a Caterham or a Arial Atom you don't need to go fast to have lots of fun, on the twisty b roads not much can keep up with them.

True, though I wouldn’t want drive one everyday, currently have an r300 which is great fun..

21 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Did you refuse it?

You had the right to do so, especially if it didn’t conform to the listing description...

Yes I left it there. Wasn'f impressed within about 20 seconds of seeing it and nothing changed my mind. I didn't even drive it.

Seller didn't complain at all as I think he realised that I wasn't a mug that was just going to accept it as I had won the bidding.  It wasn't as described so no problem refusing it.

Not in any sort of rush to buy one so no chance of getting landed with a pile of junk.

Will keep my eyes peeled for a decent one but definitely look at some 911s in the meantime.

Edd

44 minutes ago, figgy said:

I prefer the air cooled 911 but prices have got silly. A decent 996 or 997 can be had for ok money but turbo models are still high. 

This is exactly why I am looking at boxsters. 

For something that's just a bit of fun I can't justify (afford) the 15k+ that a 911 would be.

Just keep looking I suppose.

Edd

Trouble with Boxters is they do go wrong and certain bits are expensive to do due to mid engine layout, so many get left and not fully maintained. As they get older they get cheaper to buy but they still cost a lot to fix.

Have a read on some Porsche owner forums i did and spoke to people with them when i was looking at them. in the end i never bothered buying one, my wife was not fussed on them or the 3.2M version of the Z4. She would have been using daily and myself weekends. Wont tell you what she said when i sat in a 911 i liked the look of :lol:. If i was looking to buy a Alpha Romeo /Fiat Spider she would have been dragging me allover Europe to find the right car. Women