St. George's mushrooms

bigrob

I only eat field mushrooms usually but we were out with our springer (Billy) the other day suddenly the wife squealed and said " look what i've found".

Loads of large mushrooms in a ring of grass. She picked one and sniffed it and said "yes yes" they are!

They smell like (damp flour) she said! So we picked them and I had some with my Fry up this morning.

Well they tasted amazing - just like mushrooms ha... If you like mushrooms keep your eyes peeled - they often grow in rings of grass at this

time of year.  They usually grow on or around St. George's day. Rob.

Not wishing to spoil your breakfast Rob but proceed with caution. Many species grow in rings, not all are edible.

The problem with toxicity from mushrooms maybe that it is slow to show and often irreversible?

Edited by old man

34 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

Unless it comes in a packet from a shop  steer well clear of mushrooms. Too many will kill you.

Thought we were hunter gatherers? St George's are a pretty safe bet because of the time of year and where they grow, its when you get into autumn that things get complicated. I've spent ages looking at different mushrooms but left them, St George's are the only one's I've been brave enough to pick as i was 100% sure what they were.

8 hours ago, bigrob said:

I'm doing good chaps - The wife knows what she's on about - She used to pick them years ago with her Dad!.

I am pleased that you are OK Bigrob. Furthermore, I fully admire someone i.e your wife, who has the knowledge (and conviction) to pick and eat what many of us would be most wary of. Even with a book to hand to aid identification, I don't think that I would have the same conviction.

Good on you and your continued foraging.

OB

7 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

IMG_20171008_162816.jpg

IMG_20171008_163741.jpg

These are a couple of the varieties of fungi in the wood. I have photos of about 8 different sorts, but it wont let me upload the rest.

it will only let you do so many pics at a time, what are the top picture? They look like fried eggs 

I think we did a mushroom thread not all that long ago. Mushrooms scare me. Not actual mushrooms, I’m not worried I’ll come home to a gang of masked mushrooms on the doorstep looking for a fight, I’ve just got no idea what’s what and that there’s some very nasty ones! Including the ones that make you bad, let you feel better then kill you. 

42 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

I think we did a mushroom thread not all that long ago. Mushrooms scare me. Not actual mushrooms, I’m not worried I’ll come home to a gang of masked mushrooms on the doorstep looking for a fight, I’ve just got no idea what’s what and that there’s some very nasty ones! Including the ones that make you bad, let you feel better then kill you. 

This is what is so good about the St George's mushrooms their pretty much the only one that looks like they do at this time of year which makes identification much easier, rest of year yes scary. 

52 minutes ago, Mice! said:

This is what is so good about the St George's mushrooms their pretty much the only one that looks like they do at this time of year which makes identification much easier, rest of year yes scary. 

We have at least 2 sorts of amanita in the wood. One in the summer which is a sort of beige with white spots as yet Ive not identified it and fly agric in the Autumn. Both toxic.

On a nicer fungi topic, I have got some Summer black truffle spores in a soil medium to sow next time we go down the wood. We have plenty of the type of host trees it likes. In 3-4 years time we might have some truffles. I will train one of the dogs for truffle hunting with truffle oil scented lures. There might be some truffles growing there already, you never know. :)

Yep! St. George's Mushrooms are pretty unique and their irregular shaped cap makes them easy to identify. They are one of very few that grow this time of year and are very tasty.

For the last 8 years or so I've had a day with John Wright (the mushroom and foraging expert from River Cottage) just to keep my knowledge up to date as to what is and isn't edible or poisonous. He says there are at least 14 specimens that beginners can safely identify and eat without risk of death or harmful effects, St. George's being among them. 

If you have an interest in mushrooms or foraging in general then look up courses run by a local expert.