Motorcyles and Shotguns

M10

Feel free to move if in the wrong section!

So, it's that time of year again, the bike is going through it's MOT ready for some fair weather riding :)

Where do I stand transporting my gun if I am on the bike? I've seen some pretty good bike mounted gun cases in the US and was tempted to bring one back next time I'm over...

It would be mostly travelling direct from home to a shoot. No leaving unattended.

Any one ever done it? Anyone know the rules?

No problem . Old boy I used to shoot with only had a Honda 50 scooter . Had a box on the back for his gear and gun over his shoulder in a slip . Used to ride down the tram lines to get to where he wanted to be .  He parked up on the tram lines on some high flowering rape one year and when he wanted to go home he couldn’t remember where he had left the bike and it took him a while to find it .

harnser

Rode up to shoot evening flight at Holy Island in the seventies,parked bikeleft crash hat on bars, put hat on in the dark & got a piece of grass or similar in my eye,rode back to south of the Tyne,it would clear for a while & then I would blink & back came pain, I kept thinking it would cry out but no such luck, it was a long ride home.

48 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

We used to have a member who rode a Harley and he modified a guitar case because he got fed up being stopped. 

Is it Bill Harriman who advocates using a tuba, trombone or some sort of musical instrument case plastered with 'concert' stickers to divert attention away from its true contents ? Perhaps a bit OTT but a good idea if say, staying in a hotel. A case (excuse the pun) of 'What the eye don't see, the heart don't grieve over'.

On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 16:59, The Mighty Prawn said:

You can buy those guitar gun cases but to me they are just massive and no good for a bike

from watching too many action films you should get someone else to ride and you sit backwards behind them so they ride past the quarry while you shoot back - I think it might start a new discipline?

They come in different sizes and he had a very small soft case. Then he cut a couple of bits of thin ply or hardboard to give it the right shape and the broken down shotgun fitted into a foam space in the middle. 

23 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

They come in different sizes and he had a very small soft case. Then he cut a couple of bits of thin ply or hardboard to give it the right shape and the broken down shotgun fitted into a foam space in the middle. 

There are a few breakdown slips available which are more discreet, Napier do 1, Williamanson also do 1. I've seen another (Wards, advertised on here)   that looks like a full slip cut in 2 then with straps to keep the 2 parts together

Why not get a fishing rod tube at a car boot, (for the barrels) then one of the silicone bag things (for the stock and forend). Pack the whole thing into a decent rucksack, along with the rest of your gear (you can leave the rod tube sticking out at the top), straps over both shoulders and your away. It looks nothing like a gun that you are carrying, which could help when you are entering or leaving your home.

On 05/05/2018 at 16:59, The Mighty Prawn said:

from watching too many action films you should get someone else to ride and you sit backwards behind them so they ride past the quarry while you shoot back - I think it might start a new discipline?

NOT in this part of the world, it is already an established 'discipline'    !      :lol:

45 minutes ago, Seadog1408 said:

What's wrong with LEGALLY just carrying the gun in a slip?!!!, Christ paranoiacs rife here, just waiting for someone to suggest a bloody cello case.

Nothing wrong with it, but you leave yourself vulnerable sadly in this day and age people houses broken into etc just to steal guns. Much easier to knock someone off their bike and steel the gun. 

10 hours ago, Rst1990 said:

Nothing wrong with it, but you leave yourself vulnerable sadly in this day and age people houses broken into etc just to steal guns. Much easier to knock someone off their bike and steel the gun. 

Like you say; nothing wrong with it. Nephew used to pushbike to work and back as a schoolboy through town and along the A66 for a mile or so with his slipped gun over his shoulder with BERETTA stitched into it in bright yellow thread. It was only a handful of years ago. I'll admit times have changed since the local 'keeper used to stroll through town with his gun over the crook of his arm, but I think we do tend to get a little paranoid about such things sometimes. 

If I was the OP I'd be more concerned about coming off and damaging my gun than having it nicked. Get a hard case. 

On 29/04/2018 at 18:23, M10 said:

Feel free to move if in the wrong section!

So, it's that time of year again, the bike is going through it's MOT ready for some fair weather riding

Where do I stand transporting my gun if I am on the bike? I've seen some pretty good bike mounted gun cases in the US and was tempted to bring one back next time I'm over...

It would be mostly travelling direct from home to a shoot. No leaving unattended.

Any one ever done it? Anyone know the rules?

where is the dog going to sit then ..:hmm: